Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and good day, I have an older blizzard snowplow straight blade. It has the truck mounted light bar. That alone should tell you the model I have because I do not know offhand. 2 days ago it started to slowly drift downward. Every half hour I'd have to Raise it back up only an inch or two then it would stay. Now it took a turn for the worse. Once I Raise the plow it starts to drop instantly and within 2 seconds it's on the ground. I checked the number 5 coil and it's magnetic when raising the plow but as soon as I let off the button it is not magnetic anymore. Don't know if that means anything or not. I pulled out all the pistons from behind the magnetic coils and checked for debris but there was none. The fluid is good and clean the pistons are good. No relays are blown. There is no leaks or drips of any kind anywhere. So I'm really wondering why this thing is bleeding off and dropping so fast. Another thing, the black round knurled dial I can turn it in and slow the speed of the drop when pressing the down button. But what I find interesting is that if I screw that knob in all the way it does not stop the snowplow from dropping, that alone is telling me the lifting cylinder may be the culprit. Let me know your thoughts.

· Super Moderator
980 Posts
Snowplow drops sporadically.
Variable flow control valve is opened too far.
opened too far.
WARNING: Snowplow can fall suddenly. You can die or be seriously injured. Drop snowplow to ground before adjusting flow control.
Turn clockwise 1/16 turn and test.

And maybe,Verify S5 coil (float) or S5 and S8 coils (disconnect) for magnetism.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Snowplow drops sporadically.
Variable flow control valve is opened too far.
opened too far.
WARNING: Snowplow can fall suddenly. You can die or be seriously injured. Drop snowplow to ground before adjusting flow control.
Turn clockwise 1/16 turn and test.

And maybe,Verify S5 coil (float) or S5 and S8 coils (disconnect) for magnetism.
Is the variable control valve the one that takes an Allen wrench to adjust, or is the variable control valve the round knurled knob that adjust how quickly the plow drops to the ground?

· Registered
8,497 Posts
Is the variable control valve the one that takes an Allen wrench to adjust, or is the variable control valve the round knurled knob that adjust how quickly the plow drops to the ground?
The round knurled knob.

Try that first.

Seems like other than that maybe the packing/o-ring/seal/whatever in the lift cylinder might be bad. Oil doesn't have to leak out of it for it to be bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts