Snowplow Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had our first really snow fall today and yesterday.

We had the 810 blizzard and the 8.2” boss vee running side by side, and there is no question that the 810 blizzard is quicker then the vee plow. It seem the blizzard just rolls the snow better then the vee. Was very impressed with the plow, and would recommend it to anyone.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The blizzard looks like a great plow a nieghbor has one and i have seen it on his truck but havent asked him how well it works.

To me and i might be wrong but it looks like the blizzard might be hard on the Transmision on the truck since it can take much more snow then a V or ordinary straight blade.

If you answear is well then dont ake on as much snow, well then whats the point of going with a fancy blade if you cant use it to its full capabilitys ?

My opnion...

·
Registered
333 Posts
i could care less what strain gets put on my trucks.if i go from plowing 20 hours to 15 because of a different type of snow plow than you know im getting atleast 3 of them lol.i look at it this way.no Ford,Dodge,Chevy Ect was designed just for plowing (well i know of one but forgot the name lol) trucks break ford has been known for there bad trans the past 5 or 6 years.i replaced alot on f350s and 450s,but i know the trucks won't last forever they will break and get retired.thats why cutting your plowing time down and making more $$$ will help you out when the time comes to buy a new rig.it all depends on how you plow.i know im hard on my trucks.i ram piles i plow open lots doing 20 30 mph.
like this past sunday the snow was heavy because of the rain that came in.i got stuck trying to windrow this whole lot from one end to the other.i got about half way before crazy mike got pissed and started ramming parts of the windrow that were to big because the only place for the snow to go was to my right.now i should of went in to different directions but that would of taken to long and time is money son.if my f150 and 250 could hold a 810 blizzard i would buy them in a heart beat.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mike,

Guess your SHIFT key doesn't work?:confused:
:headwall
:eek:
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
son i couldn't use shift or go back and edit things.every time i back spaced to change a word in the middle of a sentence the words in front of that word would get chopped off.sorry did the best i could.this happens once in a blue moon on this site along with others that are setup the same way.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
hit the insert button.

Took me for ever to figure that out and boy did it anoy me when I accidentaly turned it on in word:eek:

·
Registered
977 Posts
Blizzard Kick A Vee Plows Butt
I think you are comparing two different kinds of snow removal tools here.

If I have to open up a drive with three feet of heavy wet snow in it, then I would want a v-plow. If I am in a parking lot moving snow from one area to another or can expand the plow and cover the most area at a time without damaging my truck, then I would want the Blizzard. I think it really boils down to what kind of tool you need to do the job at hand the most efficiently. Both have there place in the snow and ice removal industry.

Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is why I like the V plow. It can do both.

Sure it cant scoop 10', but I can scoop between a row of cars 8' apart! Cant do that with a Blizzard!

I can also scoop through bank drivethroughs.

And the V position is great for those deep drifts that straight plows get scared of.

Two different tools, while both are similar, they're still quite different.

I'd like one of each! Both with the same truck mounts. This way I could switch back and forth between both trucks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why would you try to plow 3 feet of snow in the first place. Plowing with the storm would be be alot easier. If there is that much snow on the ground before you plow I would not worry about plowing it because I would have been fired already.:canada

·
Registered
85 Posts
Snow can drift up to 3 feet very quickly. They are both different plows. The v does have its uses. It would be nice to plow through the storm if I had only one account, but I have a lot of accounts and I can't go to each one every half hour to see if a drift has blown up. imo

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
mikegamb

So get a better plwo drive the hell out of your truck replace the truck allot more and yet your still makeing good coin ?

I would say invest that money into something that can handle that abuse like a bobcat or loader and put your blizzard on that. I imagine the bobcat and loader can take more abuse then your truck.

I am looking to go that route when i start up if its worth it to get into the snow bussiness. I would still need a plow truck truck either a plow on my truck or have someone working for me with there plow and truck.

·
Registered
333 Posts
1/2 3/4 and 1 ton trucks used for commercial plowing don't last forever son.things break even if you baby the equipment.i think a bobcat with a blizzard is a waste since my commercial properties are spaced out quite a bit.i have lots from a few thousand feet up to 10 acres.trucks work faster for me.i never had any major problems with any of my trucks.just tires a few U joints plow springs and a few hydro lines.

in just the past two storms we had here i can buy 1 new truck if i wanted right now.i have very good coin to put down on a new rig if i wanted,but i don't see the need for one until the spring.

my town uses f250s and up to 450s to plow the roads.there all 8 years old and up and they beat the crap out of them,but the town has them runing more than the mack dumps and there still going strong.they have either a fisher or diamond plow on them and they work everyday.

the town hasn't replaced any since 96 and before that they didn't start buying new trucks until 92 93.all the trucks in the towns fleet before then was from 1983 and back to 1969.so they got 20 years out of 90% of there plow trucks and they still have 4 or 5 back from the late 70s that they use everyday.

so i think thats pretty dam good for some ford and chevy dumps and pickups don't you? they only have 12 macks and a ford L9000
making up the big stuff.the other 10 are pickups and 1 tons

·
Registered
977 Posts
Why would you try to plow 3 feet of snow in the first place.
micah79 basically answered this.

Drifting, Town trucks with wings pushing banks back and filling in the ends of the driveway. Someone who calls you at the end of the storm to plow them out.

The only thing I was trying to point out was that in my opinion they are two different pieces of equipment. I have a v-plow, it works great for what I need it for, I have a driveway that is dirt and goes up hill for about 150 feet with a circle at the top and is always icy cause the water runs off the hill continuously. The v-plow goes through it like butter, The straight plow on the other truck has a very hard time. However, I am seriously considering a Blizzard 8611 for the F-450 that I replace the 1993 F-350 with. This truck does parking lots and I think a Blizzard would be more efficient in that application than a v-plow. I hope I am making sense.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gordyo
Yes it does make sense and I have used my MVP just for this in the past. But this was only in a worse case scenario, it did the job tho. Go with the Blizzard, you will love it as I do:canada

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Mike.

I guess if you make that coin it makes since but 10 acres of open space and you use a truck. If you baby a truck yes it will break down but not as often if you run the $**** out of it.

If you don’t care for your equipment and you make money hand over fist yeah I am sure allot of the guys here would drive the hell out of there trucks.

A growing trend here for large shopping Ctr malls is Front end loaders either leased buy the snowplow co or it belongs to a sub. I see allot of guys use big farm tractors.

I am thinking in a dollar and cents way that if you would use a tractor or loader at some of your big sites you could get more plowing contracts and make even more dough and buy trucks a lot less often.. A 10' blizzard how much snow can you plow with that before you have to break the lot down into several different directions?
With the loader you can take on allot more snow and push it further as well as take off the box and use the bucket and you can then do removal of snow from the site or push the snow back further. Since you have a 1 ton pick up or larger you can put the bobcat on the trailer and bring it to the big and or medium site’s. Since you have so much cash go buy a float truck you could bring the loader over to the site’s that require one.

I have never done plowing with a loader but here that’s how most guys do the big lots with loaders and tractors and pickups setting up for the loaders and tractors.

In Toronto here the only use for pick up trucks for the city is to plow sidewalks the rest of the trucks are probably 10ton or more salters. I assume your town is small so that’s why they use pick ups.
:canada

·
Registered
333 Posts
son like i said i have 4 plowing trucks and two subs with 1/2 trucks and never had any major break downs.my 5 and 10 acre lots i use 7 1/2 ft to 9 ft blades on 1/2 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and we plow them out in record time.with two trucks on the 5 acre lot it takes 45 minutes to go from one end to the other.the 10 acre takes close to an hour and 1/2 sometimes alittle longer.there are no cars or anything to drive around in these lots its just straight plowing.

now yeah a loader is a nice idea.after the storm i trailer around my bobcat to stack piles better and clean off walkways. there are laws in CT that you can not haul heavy equipment or wide load equipment during a snow or rain storm.so how would i get a big tractor or front loader from my lot in branford to my lot out in new haven (2 towns over???)

i think you don't understand my reason for doing things.

well like you said yourself your not a full time plower so you have alot of learning to do i feel.

the equipment my family started off with when they started this biz 12 years ago i still have and use every storm.

·
Registered
415 Posts
To me and i might be wrong but it looks like the blizzard might be hard on the Transmision on the truck since it can take much more snow then a V or ordinary straight blade.
I have to agree with Snowboy on that one. If your pushing 10 feet of snow with a truck you don't think its going to wear it out a little more than normal? I don't know maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture but the blizzard only really looks good for parking lots. I had an 8 foot fisher on my truck last year and even in 8'6" mode the Blizzard would have been too big, I know some people have huge driveways and what not but thats alot of blade out there. The blizzard and V's turn me off with all the moving parts. I mean the more parts moving the more that break the more hydro lines the more to freeze break or come off. If you have big lots why not get a bigger truck wiht a plow if you can't move the equipment like a kodiak or topkick size with a 10 foot straight blade would certainly push alot more snow across your lot than any pickup with a blizzard just due to the size of the truck behind the plow. Like snowboy said how much can you push before you have to break up the lot, I know that a bigger truck would push a lot more than a pickup.
JMO
Eric

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.