Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John D and I were at Mike Nelson's the other day, he showed one of his 8611s that his driver had damaged. John took the pics and sent them to me, here they are with description.

John and I noticed right off there was something not right with this truck, both the plow and the truck were leaning to the right. When Mike extended the wing, the problem became obvious.

Attachments

·
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Apparently Mike's driver had hit a curb at a high rate of speed with the wing partially extended. The back of the wing buckled as you see, plus there was other damage. This pic shows how the moldboard was damaged.

Attachments

·
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The push plate was also bent, John and I think the truck frame might be tweaked too where the plate attaches, the truck leans to the right a bit. Notice the cracked paint around the bolt head.

Attachments

·
4,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even though the plow took a severe hit, it still functions as normal. In fact, Mike has said he has no plans to repair it until the end of the season. No Blizzards are not indestructable, but they can take a good shot and keep on working.

In the experience I've had with my 810, the force that caused this damage must have been caused by excessive speed, I've hit a raised basin with the wing and come to a dead stop at about 15 mph, I blew a hose and dented the cutting edge, nothing like the damage you see here.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Wonder if he was doing 40 or so when this happened..

That had to be one hard hit to take out that much stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
He had to be moving at a very good clip. But it's great to see that the plow can with stand that type of hit and keep on plowing with all it's functions. Very impressive piece of machinery. That should speak for it's quality. These plows are built to last.

P.S. I'd hate to see the curb he hit!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I think this damage is entirely driver abuse.The main plow frame seems to be perfect,the damage seems to be the wing,and truck mount entirely.Pelcan and I were both looking in amazement at how much damage was done to this plow,especially considering just how beefy it is built.I think the truck frame cross bar is not going to make the season personally,it is tweaked back a good 1-2" and creased slightly in the front.I couldnt get a good pic from the side,but it needs to be reinforced or replaced. What else is amazing is the 8611 is only on an f350 Single wheel short bed excab truck,not very heavy at all for an 8611,so the driver had to be flying to do that kind of damage with such a light truck(for the 8611's intended application).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Having plowed for about 50 - 60 hours with the 8611 I have to say that is probably driver abuse. I hit a couple of things while plowing that stopped the truck cold in the first storm and I thought at one point the plow HAS TO BE DAMAGED but when I inspected it, it was fine. Only damage is a minor dent in the cutting edge. One thing to keep in mind with these plows is when plowing at full extension you have 11' of iron hanging out there and its harder to keep track of then you might think. The biggest plow I had used prior to this one was a 10' and that was on a L8000 so this plow almost looks out of scale by comparison on the 550. The odds of hitting a curb or manhole go up dramatically with a plow this size. Hope to hear good things about the blizzard company when it comes to repairs.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Steve I dont see the safty pins in the frame.???????????

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
OUCH that hurts. To damage a brand new $5000+ plow and a $30,000+ truck. Glad to see no one was hurt and that the blade is still operable. Also good to see that the Blizzard held up that well to such an impact.

Jay

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Pelican said:
Bill, I noticed that when I was posting the pics, not sure why he doesn't have them on. Both trucks are missing them.

If you look closely in the second picture you will see that the pins are actually drapped over the Blade Guide.

Jay

·
Registered
150 Posts
Man that must have been some curb!Im really supprised more wasnt damaged. Why put a 8611 on a F-350 thats way to much for that truck.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
In the last pic, the one of the side frame, what is bolted to it, the prior one does not have anything bolted ot it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Alot of plow for that truck :rolleyes: I think so too Philly.
the 8611 is only on an f350 Single wheel short bed excab truck,not very heavy at all for an 8611,
If its only a 350 then what would a bigger truck have done :confused: I think Blizzard looks decent and this proves they can hold up, but maybe the guy was speeding in order to keep it moving on the small truck. I dont know just an idea.
Eric

·
Registered
357 Posts
omg :geez :zoinks That had to be quite a hit!!! We already hit a curb that stopped us, and it didn't do anything! Did he ever say how fast he was going?

LGF: I see what you're talking about on the bottom of the truck frame, where the plate goes, there are 2 bolts that attatch in the second pic, but not in the first?? I wonder if it would have helped any having them in???

Seeing pics like these and hearing that the plow still functions will let me sleep easier!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts