Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I blew a hydraulic line a couple of days ago when it was rubbing on the mounting bracket for the plow and finally wore through. It was the one to the driver's side cylinder (the cylinder that angles the blade to the right). Since I've replaced it, (and rerouted the line to a better location) I notice the blade has a tendancy to angle itself to the left. It was doing this a bit before the line blew but now is worse then ever. For instance, just driving at 60km/h down the highway, blade up, causes the blade to turn left on its own. When I'm plowing I notice the blade turning left and I have to compensate, constantly "feathering" the right angle switch, throughout a pass. At the end of "piling", the blade has been "pushed" fully to the left again.

I'm at a loss of where to begin looking for what's wrong. I figure the fluid is bleeding back out of the left side cylinder somewhere and going back to the pump/reservoir since there are no signs of leaking fluid anywhere. And why is it worse now than it was before the line blew? Weird; or am I missing something?

If someone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. :beatsme

Thanks,

KoncepT

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Welcome to the site! I removed your other thread. You did right & if your plow is an Arctic plow this was the correct place to put this thread.

Not familiar with their plows exactly, but there is a bad or dirty valve probably. So the valve that controls the angling is not seating itself all the way closed when it is supposed to. Hopefullly someone familiar with their pump will chime in. if not if you can post some pics of the pump set up & hoses maybe we can direct you from those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.
Here are some shots of the pump assembly. The red circle denotes the connection point of the line I had to change. Sorry for the bad quality pics. It's the best I could come up with without unmounting the unit...

Thanks for any input others may have...

KoncepT

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Those Monarch pumps are pretty good,never seen many problems with them.

I'd say you probably just have air in the system.Air will allow the blade to move on it own.I'd try bleeding all the hoses at the cylinders,to see if it improves before tearing into anything else.

Angle it to the right,then crack the right side hose loose at the angle cylinder.Angle left and it will spurt out fluid and air.Close it,and now angle full left.Crack the left side hose loose and angle right to purge the line.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I had a Monarch pump very similar to the one you've pictured that had a valve go bad, so it is a possibility. Since you've mentioned the condition is a result of replacing the hose though, I'd bank on air in the system as well. What happens is the air compresses in the cylinder or the line, and then expands, allowing the movement you describe.

Try wyldman's suggestion, and in addition while the line is cracked you can activate the pump for a second and purge the air a little quicker. Remember, the side you are angling to is the low pressure side, in other words, when you are angled right, bleed the left cylinder, it is the one pressurized. Also, wrap a rag around the fitting while you are cracking it, you'll avoid being sprayed with hydraulic oil.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Artic are great plows and the Monarch pumps are part of the reason. We used them for 15 years before switching to Boss to get V action. About $400 should get you a re-built/exchange complete unit when your gear pump gets worn - that's peanuts and about a 3 hour fix for a tired pump.

To bleed the lines without getting dirty, re-hook your chain until it just lifts the plow off the ground with the lift at max. Then, run the blade out over a ditch, and drop it so that it is pointing considerably down hill in the ditch. Don't drive the truck into the ditch!

Now, operate the angling, and the air will be returned to the reservior to be vented, since the air will rise to the ports in the angling cylinders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all for their input/advice. After ensuring all air was out of the system, the blade could still be moved easily by hand. The boss took the truck to his hydraulic guy and they found a bad seal (or two). I guess it was just coincidence that the effect was worse after changing the line. It was a relatively inexpensive repair and it's now good to go for the 10cm the weatherman is forecasting for tomorrow.

Many thanks again to all for the input and ideas. It's good to have a place like this to help each another out.

:rockon and keep the shiny side up!!!

KoncepT

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Guys (and Gals),

I blew a hydraulic line a couple of days ago when it was rubbing on the mounting bracket for the plow and finally wore through. It was the one to the driver's side cylinder (the cylinder that angles the blade to the right). Since I've replaced it, (and rerouted the line to a better location) I notice the blade has a tendancy to angle itself to the left. It was doing this a bit before the line blew but now is worse then ever. For instance, just driving at 60km/h down the highway, blade up, causes the blade to turn left on its own. When I'm plowing I notice the blade turning left and I have to compensate, constantly "feathering" the right angle switch, throughout a pass. At the end of "piling", the blade has been "pushed" fully to the left again.

I'm at a loss of where to begin looking for what's wrong. I figure the fluid is bleeding back out of the left side cylinder somewhere and going back to the pump/reservoir since there are no signs of leaking fluid anywhere. And why is it worse now than it was before the line blew? Weird; or am I missing something?

If someone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. :beatsme

Thanks,

KoncepT
Hello KoncepT, I need to know exactly what model monarch pump this is. I have the exact same one, with the wires coming out of the end instead of out of the middle of the unit. I want to use it to replace my current monarch that has the center wires. On every unit I see, there are a few wires coming out of the bottom of the wire grommet that go to the relay just like the failing one I use now. I need to know how to hook up the selenoid. All the wires on my new one are the same clor as the old one as well. Just not sure which ones to hook to the selenoid. Help please.

·
Super Moderator
939 Posts
This thread is 17 yrs old .
If you wish to get a better response it might be better to start a new thread
Explaining what is going on.

thank you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts