Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
My first post and its an SOS. The snow hit Vermont about 3pm and has been steady. About 930 pm I headed out to get a jump on the predicted 12-20 inches. When I angled the blade full right it remained there with no response from the control, in fact when moving the joystick either left or up the blade still wants to angle right! By putting my farmjack between the front tire and the blade I was able to free it. But the next time it angled full right{which I was trying to avoid but blew it} it stuck again. This time it would not move with both the jack at one corner and a comealong at the other. I can hear the pump run and the fluid is full, dual batteries strong. This has happened the last storm and the one before that but each time I was able to somehow get it operating. The first time simply by pulling the power cable off and reattaching it. But the next time that did not help but the jack was able to free it. It appears to be getting worse but since it is a yard truck I can not readily get it to a shop for service and I am not sure what to check. I have some tools and a multi meter. It is a Fisher MMount with elec over hydro power. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is supposed to snow all night and into the AM and I'm out in the boonies.
Andrew

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Are your battery connections tight ?
A loose battery cable can cause issues, how about your plow to truck control connection? Greased, no bent/broken pins, and tight ?
Simple stuff but that is were I would start.
T

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I have had some luck when I am out on the road. and it sticks.. by pushing against a snow bank or something else .. to move it.. does not always work. but 90% it does for me.. so that might help for tonight..

I run meyers. so I don't know fisher as well, but check the site and see if there is a troubleshoot guide there..

sorry its just a little bit of help.. hope it help

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
gslam88 said:
I have had some luck when I am out on the road. and it sticks.. by pushing against a snow bank or something else .. to move it.. does not always work. but 90% it does for me.. so that might help for tonight..

I run meyers. so I don't know fisher as well, but check the site and see if there is a troubleshoot guide there..

sorry its just a little bit of help.. hope it help
They have nothing in there manuals about a stuck angled blade. I have had that happen with the uni mount to we just used a curb on the corner to pop the relief valve. Once the truck to plow connections were addresed we had no more issues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had this happen on my Boss straight blade last year. Some debris in the pump, got it cleaned out and no probs. FYI, if you need to straighten the blade out, a little birdie told me that telephone poles work well for this.:greenange

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
check your plow to truck connectors

when you lose sol. control the hyd. flow defaults to a certain direction.
Make sure there clean. try that to start
good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried pushing against a tree and the truck just spins off, even with rear wheel chains. I will look under the hood today and see if all is ok.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I went out and looked at wiring and connections and all looked normal. Then decided to plow anyway since we got about 12 inches. So I jacked up the plow so it would not drag and hooked the safety chain. Started the truck and for kicks hit the joystick and voila the plow is operating again! Finished my jobs with no hassles being very careful not to get into a full right angle mode. FYI, I had the pump cleaned and serviced in the fall so I figured it was not the problem. Any other ideas about an intermittent issue like this? BTW the temps were in the 20's and pretty dry snow condfitions.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
fruitcakesa said:
Well, I went out and looked at wiring and connections and all looked normal. Then decided to plow anyway since we got about 12 inches. So I jacked up the plow so it would not drag and hooked the safety chain. Started the truck and for kicks hit the joystick and voila the plow is operating again! Finished my jobs with no hassles being very careful not to get into a full right angle mode. FYI, I had the pump cleaned and serviced in the fall so I figured it was not the problem. Any other ideas about an intermittent issue like this? BTW the temps were in the 20's and pretty dry snow condfitions.

Your plow to truck harness is probally at fault.
With the western uni we had th esame issues. Take apart the harness clean and dielectric grease it and it was good for another hour or 2.
Everything looked okay as well.
T

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When you said look , did you touch or wiggle those connections ??
did you pull plugs and check for moisture ????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did touch and wiggle connections. Also pulled and reattached the plow to truck connections but have not regreased the contacts in them.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Make sure you don't have any green fuzz on your connectors. also check to make sure your pins are making good contact. Add a little dielectric grease after everything is checked. I believe you had a bad connection to one of the sol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled off the plow to truck cons , cleaned them and applied dielectric grease. Went for a quick plow and everything seems fine. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Do a test, when it happens again, loosen the two hoses to the angle cylinders, getting fluid when the pump runs? This will rule out an elect. problem vs. ram problem. One of my rams stuck the other day, finally freed it up after numerous attempts.

The solenoids on your headgear are from L to R (facing the back of your headlights) S-1 S-2 and S-3

S-1 is Lift? (one stage, shortest vavle) if memeory is working
S-2 is left angle and lift (has two stages)
S-3 is right and ? I think (sorry, tired) also left (has three stages, longest of the three.

Check to see if you get power to the correct magnet when you press the buttons. 2 magnets will power on left turn (been a while since I've done this). If no power, check you connections on both sides of the black pin conectors. Then move to fishstik if all else is ok with no power to the mags.

If you have power, check all the magnets (the black collars that slide over the valve with 2 wires) make sure wires are tight. Start by changing a magnet, if no change, reinstall old magnet, move to the next valve. If that doesn't do it, start with valves.

When you get a chance, buy a spare magnet and all three valves and a spare solenoid, you'll thank me later.

Hope this helps, barely concious and alert tonight, I'll think it over and see if I can brush some cobwebs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a hiniker plow my blade angles to the right but when I try to angle it to the right it goes up .I checked the fluid and on the left piston seems to have a lot fluid that comes out but the right side has only a small drip that comes out this is my first year plowing and need some help fast so can anyone give me any information on this. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts