Snowplow Forums banner

If money was not an issue which V-box would you get?

• Hydraulic

Votes: 46 48.9%
  • Gas powered

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • Electric

Votes: 27 28.7%
  • manual shovel off back of truck

Votes: 6 6.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this moring after sitting behind a new GMC 5500 with a v box on it got me thinking because it was hydraulic and last night seen a friend with a gas one on his F-450.

So with all those choices why choose one over the other saying money was no an issue.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Personally I prefer hydraulic undertailgate units,but if I had to choose a V-box,it would have to be hydraulic.One with a screw type auger,instead of a drag chain.The hydraulic units will chew up and throw just about anything,and are virtually trouble free.

Second choice would be electric,just for the simplicity,and no messing with another engine.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I've run both the hydraulic powered and pony motor, hydraulic is better by far! Much more reliable because connections are mechanical, not electrical.

My second choice would probably be electric. I've never run one, but they seem much simpler than gas powered units, only two wire connections rather tha 7 on a gas job.

·
Registered
131 Posts
1st choice hydraulic
2nd electric

Reasons: see above posts...hard to improve upon those.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am really happy with my hydro undertailgate spreaders and v-boxes.
I am happy with my electric Smith V-box 2:D

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Hydro, but I can convert my Gas to hydro very easy if I have central hydro in all the trucks.

Never used electric v box before.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
More importantly is what SIZE truck? I think that is the driving factor of what you mount to/on it.

P/U - never have seen central Hyds on on so your choice is limited. When I asked about Central Hyds on a F-350 dually I was given the "well I gues we could do that but, why again"??

Since money was not as important as the right truck for the job at the time I went with the F-450 with undertailgate and central hyd for spreader only. All in all I should have gone with the F550 but I let my insurance agent of all people talk me out of it due to the rates.

For a P/U I ran a electric V box but just the wrong one. I am running a gas V box now and I am already looking at replacing that with a dump insert and a tail gate electric set up. If not that a a SS Downeaster all electric. Gas just has too many issues with starting but the design is great.

As for the HYD V I would agree with Wyldman if I was to have a Hyd V it would be one with a screw down the middle. My under tail gate spreader eats and spit out every thing.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I heard the auger type v box spreaders jam more than the drag chain.

·
4,902 Posts
P/U - never have seen central Hyds on on so your choice is limited
The under hood configuration of 3/4 ton pickups is identical to that of 1 ton dumps, so the same equipment could be used in either case. There are kits available for almost every vehicle, the reason you don't see them is due to expense. Cat has said money is no issue in his question.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have to go with hydraulic, then electric. We have 1 Stainless Steel Smith electric which is on my truck (love it) the other two trucks run Stainless Buyers with gas engines, a real pain in the, well you know what. Mine just hit the switch and I'm flowing the others sometimes they won't start especially with these cold temps lately.

Bob :grinz :grinz :burnout

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Pelican,

The issue was not the under the hood space but mounting the tank for the Hyd fluid. There is a great thread with a black Dodge truck and Central Hyds running two plows ( Blizzard and expandable rear plow) showing the tank in the bed. Although a hyd V box would fit in the bed you would have to contend with the tank in the bed whenever using it for anything else.

Even with money not being an issue the application should avail itself to reasonable thinking.

If that does not imply, I would like to vote for the new Escalde STX with a blizzard 8611 and a Hyd V box. Money not being an issue and all.

·
4,902 Posts
Even with money not being an issue the application should avail itself to reasonable thinking.
A frame mounted tank under the bed with a fill tube would be unreasonable? Are there no farmers in Illinois?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Steve,

Lots of farmers I am just not one of them. I am just talking about what I am seeing and what I have been told. As I mentioned I did look into doing HYD on a new F-350 Dually and was told by two upfit companies the tank was the issue. But what do I know.:headwall

I have never seen it but that does not mean it can not be done. Next time I see a farmer I will ask if he know what you were talking about. But I should also say that time will not be any time soon as I avoid the country unless it is going by at about 75MPH down the interstate. :burnout

Some day soon I will learn not to disagree with you, but than where is the fun in that..... :greenange

Hey did you see the pictures of my dump I finally get some posted. Did you say that you do or do not do salt with your F-350? I am taking one for a test drive for the day these week, 4x4 PSD of course. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Our city guys here have the resevoir mounted on the back of the spreaders in the pick up trucks for their central hydro systems...

I am just not game to pay another $2000 on top of the price of the spreader only to run it and that's it.

Some of those city trucks have central hydro plows, some don't, but they all have the tank on back of the spreader.

BTW you have a tank on your truck as it is for the lift.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
LGF,

Both my plow and Dump body is elec/hyd, Central Hyds for Spreader only.

As I said before that is my choice for a few reasons. This set up outs great for my application. However, due to the electric draw I did have to change out the Alt. for a high out put 170APM. But the new F-350 will have dual alts and I would be strongly considering an electric option of some sort for slat spreading (NOT A VEE PRO).

Intested in a great deal on a Swenson 8' V 2 yrd. w/Honda engine Line-Xed hardly used this season???? Might even meet you half way:cash :cash

·
4,902 Posts
No, I don't sand with my F-350.

I had a '97 F-350 dump with a Torwell gas powered V-box which I replaced with my F-550. The amount of time and blood (literally) I lost in keeping it running is what promted my response above. I allowed my dealer to talk me out of central hydraulics on that truck, a big mistake.

You mentioned you don't want levers in the cab as your reason for the electric plow and hoist. Are you aware there are solenoid activated valves available for that application? These only require a toggle switch to operate.

Blizzard also makes a version of their plow for use with central hydraulics that uses the identical controller as the electric version.

I don't care much for the pump redundancy that results from the use of electric pumps, especially if there is central hydraulics on board. I just like to think outside the bun!:beatsme

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Fisher also sells a kit with there plows where you can use the fish stick with a central hydro system. All they do is pipe a hydro line into their valve block and your set.

Geoff

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can see that the most prefered would be the hydraulic and or the electric for the reason of working with no major problems.When i said" money is not an issue" would you put hydraulic into a smaller truck? Because as we all know money determines what we do and or what kind of truck we sometimes get .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts