Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would share what kind of shovels I use. www.thesnowplow.com These are the best shovels I have found. Light and sturdy. I have the original one I purchased 4 years ago and still use it regularly. Never had to replace one yet. I mainly use the 36" and 24". Great shovels. Get your hands on one if you can. You won't regret it. Well worth the money. I used to use the orange plastic ones. Problem was I had to replace them monthly. Not these.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh man, your letting the secret weapons of my snow shovelers out of the bag. I must have have about a dozen of those spread out all over the place. We mostly use the 24 and 30" ones, I think we might have twisted the d ring handle off of one of them once. I just picked up 2 more a couple days ago. Most of mine are at least 3 years old, between the shovels and toro single stage blowers, we can cover alot of sidewalks :cash

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Geez, I clicked on the retailer directory, I think every hardware store in the state here carries them... Wonder why I've never seen them, maybe I'm just not paying attention... :eek:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I bought a 48 inch one of those today for some light fluffy stuff we had coming down and it was great for clearing light snow off sidewalks fast. Other than that I use a yo-ho 30" spring steel.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures -- does the blade have a nice curl to it and roll snow nicely?

Also, how durable is the blade? Does it wear quickly?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Geez, I clicked on the retailer directory, I think every hardware store in the state here carries them... Wonder why I've never seen them, maybe I'm just not paying attention... :eek:
if you are like me you see those shovels and realize that their use involves hard labor when its cold out. i prefer a snowblower or plow, but will use a shovel if it is the only option. :D

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Saw these a couple days ago in the local hardware store. You guys realize they're like $40 for the smaller one, $50 for the big one? Man, I was looking for the gold plating on them for that price! :eek:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Maybe you guys ought to send one out to Howard's wife! :grinz :grinz

Very nice, I've been getting the steel handled version of these from Gemplers. I like the fiberglass handle better as steel, moisture and bare skin are not a good combination. :eek: Too bad I don't live in MN or WI. :(

Then again, if I looked around more, I'd see I can order them online.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I can buy them at the hardware store around here for 34.95 for the smaller 24" ones, and 39.99 for the bigger 30". I would even order them online if nobody around here had them

·
Registered
712 Posts
I am inquiring with them about shipping to Canada right now. Their email response time is unbelievable (fast), they're just checking into something with FedEx about getting them across the border.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Whats so great about these shovels? I mean if I have to be pushing that much snow I would rather a snow blower.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I maintain a resort that's open year round, so I really have no trigger depth. These wide shovels are great for times when there's a light dusting that's not really enough to blow but still needs clearing. The only prob I've had with my 48" is that the handle came loose almost right away, but I filled the end of the shaft with bondo and drilled a bolt through and now it's fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
We use these which are real similar, Id bet we got 30 or more of them floating around in the trucks and in the shop. never had one break, just had bolts come loose.
Edge gets worn and dull, hit it on the belt sander and its like new.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I ordered a 24" shovel to try. Works good, but not worth a damn for snow over 4" The last 4 storms it was useless.

I use one of these, hard to beat it in real snow. We use both the aluminum and the plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have been using those coal shovels for years they work great. and I thought I was the only one the wide low pro ones are good for light fluff that's about 2-3 maybe 4" but after that they are are to shovel with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Saw these a couple days ago in the local hardware store. You guys realize they're like $40 for the smaller one, $50 for the big one? Man, I was looking for the gold plating on them for that price! :eek:
Nice thing about them that makes them worth the money is I have been using the SAME one for the last 4 winters. Never wears out. I clear walks at 30 places every snowfall. They get used A LOT. Cheap orange ones I had to replace once a month. Not everyone sees the value of something for what it's worth. Most people just look at price, that's why everything is made in China and Wal-Mart is popular. If you don't want to spend the money for quality, then don't. Just thought I would put out there my experiences with shovels. I have gone through a lot until these.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I ordered some. I will let you guys know how I like or don't like them. I have a few places I do where I just have to shovel and the cheap ones suck.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
Whats so great about these shovels? I mean if I have to be pushing that much snow I would rather a snow blower.
UHMW is slippery stuff. Snow does stick, not very often and when it does, tap the shovel on something hard and it slides right off. Any other metal or plastic shovel and it gets built up on certain types of snow. We used to use UHMW as plow liners for the same reason.

Under 4-6" of snow--depending on the type of snow--a shovel is far more productive than a blower. Especially on the light, fluffy snow, one of those 36" will blow away (pun intended) a blower. 2 passes on an average walk and you're done.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts