Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the purchase of a new hopper spreader, and like everyone else want to make sure that I'm getting the most bang for my buck. On that note, brand loyalty aside, who makes the best for the money? I want to know about reliability, performance, cost, whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. Also would it be worth the extra to spring for one made of stainless. Thanks, the amount that I've learned off of this site has been incredible. You guys are the best!!!:salute

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Pelican. Long day, too much coffee. It's for a 3/4 ton dodge with the 8 ft box. Primarily it will be used for small to medium sized comercial lots with the occasional driveway, and we would be using bulk. I'll try to hit all of the details from now on, but as I said before, right now the lights are on, the engines running, but there's no one behind the wheel. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
This is the 3rd. season with my Fisher procaster. I like the off-set chute, the belt drive vs. chain, and the wide bed chain. I've had numerous problems with the Honda engine. In comparison, the town has a downeaster and is on their 2nd or 3rd. Tekhumsa. I would probable buy another Honda, although, it may be worth buying a spare cheap engine for the cost of the Honda. If you can swing it, stainless is the way to go, but not at the expense of buying a cheaply made sander.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
www.smithspreaders.com
Get the smith unit, it is stainless, with electric drive. Very reliable, and quiet. Will spreader anything you put through it.
Call me at 860.608.1842 for any more info on the units. Should be able to be had for under 4K new. I would never buy another type of v box. As an extra benifit, the units are pretty light as far as v boxes go. Only weigh about 600# empty.
Dino

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Did you look at the snowex v-box spreaders? From what I have read about them they look like a very nice unit. Plus they are electric and there are no motor to refuel. They run like 3500 for the 8 footer, and it weighs like 400 pounds :cool:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
First things first - are you considering a tailgate model or a Vbox? If a Vbox and you plan on using it for several years, then I'd recommend Stainless Steel. I usually say that the motor is the most important part of any spreader, assuming you're going with a gas model. Spend a little extra and get an upgraded motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts