Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Latest consumer report rated NAPA the best. Not that consumer report is the all knowing on everything (trucks for example) but it can't hurt. I took Fred's advice a couple months ago and put one in my F-250.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i was doing a search for batteries and found this thread and thought i would throw in what i have learned.
Napa east of the Mississippi river sells Deka, west sells excide. i guess excide could not keep up with all the demand so deka (east Penn) was chosen to make up the rest.

·
Registered
620 Posts
We have three F-250's with the PowerStroke diesels. All 3 trucks use the NAPA Legend 75, 1040 CCA, they are around $75 each as someone else mentioned. We get around 5 years of life and then replace them before they completely fail. It helps that the trucks use 2 batteries in parallel.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Check into the Sears Diehard Platinum . It's not your regular Diehard . I believe its the beat battery available unless one has access to military spec batteries .

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I remember someone on here mentioning that AGM batteries were bad for plowing applications? Why is that? Or is it like anything that all batteries arnt created equal?

Be nice to have a battery tech thread that was sticky. :wink Deep cycle vrs starting, different bat types like gel, wet, agm, who makes good stuff etc etc etc

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Be nice to have a battery tech thread that was sticky. :wink Deep cycle vrs starting, different bat types like gel, wet, agm, who makes good stuff etc etc etc
Roger that. Fred had a great post a while back. Maybe he could elaborate a little more and throw it up as a sticky...

All I know about batteries is that the more and the bigger the better. I also know I haven't had good luck with Napa batteries, and I have had good luck with interstates. :wink

·
Registered
270 Posts
Roger that. Fred had a great post a while back. Maybe he could elaborate a little more and throw it up as a sticky...

All I know about batteries is that the more and the bigger the better. I also know I haven't had good luck with Napa batteries, and I have had good luck with interstates. :wink
i hope that was with the old batteries since i just got a set from them. they use to use batteries made by excide, now they are deka.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i could see why napa went away from exide, just about every one i sold thru the shop came back to haunt me, several years ago advance auto had exide making there batteries and they went away from them because of the failure rate, i have a friend that is a manager at advance and he said it was real bad for them

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
i hope that was with the old batteries since i just got a set from them. they use to use batteries made by excide, now they are deka.
Yeah, it's been a few years since I've had any Napa batteries in my vehicles, not sure when they switched...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Optima here

Just installed a optima in one of the trucks last week.. Found the price high but feel it was worth it. Will know more when we get snow again.. Installing a back blade on this truck also.. Hope the new battery can handle the draw.:drool

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Since i posted to this last Motorcraft has been removed from my shop again another company that should be issuing a can of vasoline when selling there crap.

I have just Delcos and Napas in the shop now . A pair of BXT's in the service truck just crapped out should have been under the 24 prorata and they have changed there tune now. Denton had been complaining the Service truck was giving him problems and when Durwood was here sat i went to show him the Xls and the truck was dead again.

This has not been a good month for batterys in my own fleet the IH batterys took a crap in Dec and IH wont cover them the truck is still under warr the heater Grid alone on the DT466 is enough to deplete batterys the trick to starting that truck is using WD40 and screwing the plate. 165 per battery for the IH and 125 per for the service truck was a costly month. Plus the scrap metal guy stole one of my danger wings i had off the Blizzard.:mad:

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Just installed a optima in one of the trucks last week.. Found the price high but feel it was worth it. Will know more when we get snow again.. Installing a back blade on this truck also.. Hope the new battery can handle the draw.:drool
I installed a Diehard AGM $180 . It helps with the extra draw of my backplow . A 220 AMp Alt would be even better .

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I installed a Diehard AGM $180 . It helps with the extra draw of my backplow . A 220 AMp Alt would be even better .
I keep looking at them ever since you mentioned them. Like that they would be pretty easy to get waranteed and such. Only worry is the AGM design(thier site dosnt say anything about it being a AGM though?) Is that bad for plowing I wonder? How long have you had em and how many storms on em? You have a single or dual batts?

We also have an interstate dealer here that also sells optimas it seems.

I have 2 years on the factory delcos and they are at 800 CA and that was tested at 50* or so. Dont know if the tester compensates for temp or not? Mine are rated at 770CCA. They tested it with one of those bigger box thingys and the smaller computer one with the print out.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
I remember someone on here mentioning that AGM batteries were bad for plowing applications? Why is that? Or is it like anything that all batteries arnt created equal?

I'm gonna find out. Just ordered a set of the Odyssey AGM's for one of my trucks. Happy hands or not, the one place that it spends a good part of the night at, there is a lot of plow adjustment as well as back blade usage. Lots of small areas, short runs, it would actually be better for a skid steer or Toolcat, but only one of those at a time.

I ran it last night and ended up shutting off the backup lights, flasher, turning the blower down throughout the night to keep it going. Royal PITA when you can't even keep the windshield clear with the defrost on high and heat cranked. Then to have to turn it down. :mad: Really makes me appreciate central hydros. :grinz

·
Registered
109 Posts
installed two yellow top optima's and 220 amp alt three years ago on f350 diesel and have no problems , also have same battery in the v-box :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
I had posted a while back about what I originally thought were tranny problems due to the codes the truck was throwing. With the help given from folks on this site, I was able to determine that I have a low-voltage problem which is causing the codes. By being stingy (no more happy hands) and using extra power sparingly, I've been able to avoid most of the low-voltage scenarios, but I'm still having problems occasionally when cleaning up, short runs, etc. I also noticed that I could do much better and run longer when I put a 6-amp charger on either of the batteries for a few hours prior to plowing.

I've had the alt checked (it's the high output, not sure how many amps, the batteries checked, cleaned the connections, etc. and couldn't come up with a real solution.

I talked to a well-known plow dealer here in Grand Rapids and they said that Exide actually has proven what is happening in a lot of the diesels with dual batteries. According to them, the battery isolator is switching the alternator output back and forth between the batteries too often, and therefore neither battery is getting fully charged. This kinda makes sense, as every time I put the charger on, it starts charging about 3.5 - 4.5 amps and it's at 0 by morning.

Does this explanation sound right, and if so, what's the real fix. Change isolator? Larger batteries? I don't want to throw $ at expensive items without knowing if it's going to work...

BTW, the current batts are Autozone (Johnson Controls?), one-year old and 850 CCA.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Sounds plausable if your truck could decide witch batteries to charge.

I'd say your problem got circled for you from the factory. Just look at the grill for the blue lettering :D

Seriously and all Ford jokes aside.....I hear Fred and others saying that the Fords computer shuts down the alt before it really should at times and they have built some widgets to get it to keep charging. Do some searching in the Ford section :)

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Steve, the only problem with that scenario is that unless you added an isolater, you don't have one. Might want to talk to the well known dealer again and tell him to guess again as guess #1 isn't correct, more than likely.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts