Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
i carry straight rock salt in twp plastic bins with latching covers. the bins measure approx 30"l x 18"w x 20" h (35 gal?). they hold about 900lbs of salt together when full and fit behind the wheel well on each side of the bed. i also built a wood frame to box in the containers so they don't slide around. works mint! the latching covers are great as they keep out the snow and water.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
In the 1/2 ton, I use an 8' piece of iron I beam (about 200# and some old tire rims. On the one ton, I leave the 9' plow on for ballast to the sander.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I use 3 55 gallon plastic barrels cut in half full of salt. It is more than enough LOL:D plus the spreader usually is about half full too.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
In the Blazer about 1,000 pounds of bagged salt, in the bed of the F-250 about a ton or 1.5 tons or so of bulk salt.

·
Registered
620 Posts
On our F-250's we use 900 lbs of tube sand from Home Depot. They are sealed pretty well in heavy plastic tubes so they stay dry and don't freeze.

The manual from Fisher said to be sure to use the ballast or the antilock brakes wouldn't work right. I've been thinking of switching to some 1/2" plate steel, bolted down, so that we don't have to remove the ballast between plowings when we have to load up the truck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
9' fisher HD on the front, Heavy steal 9' Flatbed on the back, side boxes full of tools, and 600lb of tube sand from Home Depot. Trucks ride level and doesn't even drop down when lifting the plow.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Walt, I'm wondering why you cut the 55 gal barrels in half. The ones I have, both plastic and steel, have full removable tops with lock rings. I use them to store Magic Salt after I've mixed it. Fifty five gallons is right at 660#.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
**** these barrels had juice concentrate in them. There is no lid on them just bung holes lol. So i chainsawed them in half so i had better visibility and covered all them with one piece of rubber roofing.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
That's a lot of juice concentrate omg .

I had to laugh at the mental picture of taking a chain saw to a plastic drum:eek: . Whatever works, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use 1200# Home Depot sand also. Maybe next year I'll have the tailgate sander. If we could just get some snow!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i use tube sand here... works good and if ya get into a jam ya can alwayus split one of the bags open and throw it down for sme traction...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts