Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my plow trucks is for sale, but I had not had any bites. Today, while I'm working, someone called and wanted to come right up to look at it. My brother agreed to meet him for me.

Wellllll, my brother got to my place and the truck wouldn't start, so he jumped in my other one. It too was dead. So he called my father to help him, but he was working on my loader that had a frozen fuel line.

4 pieces of plow equipment, all running and ready to go one day, 12" of snow forcast and 3 of them die! Needless to say, the guy didn't buy the truck.

The problem? The older chevy that was for sale just hadn't been plugged in, wouldn't quite start. (diesel)

The '98 chevy (deisel) I had put the plow on last night and forgot to shut off the dome light.

The loader just had a shot of water in the filter that froze solid.

Some days I really have to wonder about plowing snow.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sorry about all your bad luck hope everything is cool now:)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Sorry to also hear of your bad luck, at least there were no major problems hopefully you have everything up and running for the weekend

·
Registered
485 Posts
Good thing they were all minor problems and it all happened before it snowed, theres nothing worse than breaking down during a snowfall:mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had kinda crappy day today too. Thanks to my backup truck we were able to finish up on time.
Started plowing about 3:30 and by 5:00 broke the radiator, split the tank along the lower neck. Just glad it has metal tanks and was repairable with some solder.
While transferring plows to the backup truck, me being wet, cold and generally pissed off, I forgot to unhook the angle hoses and when backing away broke a coupler off the pump. Oops.
Took today off work to fix these problems. Luckily everything was fixable and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Then tonight while going to get my backup truck, I snapped a wiper blade.:rolleyes:

Hopefully my bad luck is over,
Mark K

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
So far so good with our equipment. But did work till 8 pm last night installing a plow on a subs truck. The push frame we needed was back ordered. Sent a driver out to Warwick RI to get the right mount. The truck is a 03 F 350 p/u with a gasser. The truck sits was high stock. Th bracket we had was for a 550, and the local dealer thought it would hang to low on this truck. When all was sai and done we were only 1.25" taller with the 350 mount. Any way while waiting for the mount, we wired the pump and lights, and thn just bolted the mount on. It all works great. The set up is all meyer, except th hydro pack is a fisher. That way we eliminate th meyer pump issues.
Will get pics asap.
We worked all day thursday and fri to make sure everything was ready. Needed a new spreader clutch for the used unit we bought last week. Got that all set on thursday eve. Unit works great now.
Dino

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Back-up and running! Only some minor problems so far, all corrected easily. Started snowing this morning around 6 or so, snowed all day with little accumulation until late afternoon. We're up to 8-10" now. Supposed to end by mid day tomorrow so their prediction of up to 2' looks accurate. Had a new customer call at 2 pm and wanted a 2.5 mile road plowed so they can finish a camp. Topkick and wing did great opening it so far.

Thanks for the notes of concern, but managed to fix everything, thank god for blood pressure medication! Off to bed for 4 hours sleep before heading out again.

·
Registered
866 Posts
atgreene- glad to hear everything is working out for you- my weeks was almost as rough- I replaced my alternator at 3am on Monday, had smoke coming from my steerign column Weds- had to tear it apart and replace my wiper switch that was melting down-, spring a leak in my power steering- tightened up the high pressure line and that stopped- til yesterday, looked at it again, now had a hole in the metal of the high pressure line!!! Picked up a new one and after a few loud curses and some struggling- got the new one installed and re-routed to avoid the friction that caused the hole! Plowed today and the truck ran great! Hopefully now I have all of the gremlins worked out and I won't have any more major problems the rest of the season- especially if I get a chance to pick up a few more commercial accounts.

They are calling ffor lake effect tonight, so I am going out to do a little cleanup that I coulnd't get to before due to traffic and then I will be set for anythig that they throw at us.

Bill:burnout

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made it through. Had 19" and only a couple minor problems. Glad I didn't sell the truck anyway. Hope everyone else made out as well. cnypropertysvcs, good to see all worked out for you as well.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
We have had a rough start to the year also. Last week, the #2 truck was down with fuel injection problems. This week, sub #2 had his main pivot bolt on a 4 year old really nice Western Pro plow break 2/3 thru the first job. Got a grade 8 bolt but not till after 8 am. Had to double up on my truck and my wifes truck. Poor dude was really frustrated. I never seen that main pivot bolt break, let alone on a newer plow. Oh well. We are back to 100% and ready for the weekeind storm. Yee Haa !! We be rollin now :cash

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Hey Scott:
I see you have liquid tanks on some of your trucks, are these for liquid de-icers?
Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.