Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off...new to the forum. Good stuff here.

Got a great deal on a Meyer plow set-up....I only got one piece of the a-frame mount. I improvised the rest. I am concerned about strength. Please look at the pics and let me know what you think. (I used new grade 8 hardware)

The pump mount/light bar are mounted separatly to the frame with 1/4" x 2" bar stock.

Later

Hankinator

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Looks pretty good to me..

You have a lot of support places on the frame.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Welcome to the site.
Looks like you have the lift assemble mounted really well.
I would be concerned with the trust arms you made only because all the load is put onto the two back fastners and a small part of the frame.
If you can you should try to spread the load out a little more and make a little differant bracket set up at the crossmember.
:rolleyes: John................

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks to me like all your missing is a bumper, blade and snow!!!plowing!
Andy

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
I think I would like to see some bracing from the thrust arms that go back to the sway bar mounts, that would wrap around to the side of the frame. Right now all your stress points are working in line with how you push. If you get some stress diverted to side of the frame, that energy will be absorbed by the side brackets.
Dino

·
Registered
5 Posts
Backyard plow strength

Remove your flat "sandwich" plates and replace them with unequal leg (4x2?) angle iron with the long leg running up the inside vertical surface of the frame and put bolts through horizontally. What you have now will eventually peel the bottom of the frame. Seen it several times on overloaded trailer hitches which are attached much the same way.

·
Registered
243 Posts
urethane dino said:
I think I would like to see some bracing from the thrust arms that go back to the sway bar mounts, that would wrap around to the side of the frame. Right now all your stress points are working in line with how you push. If you get some stress diverted to side of the frame, that energy will be absorbed by the side brackets.
Dino
Excellent observation and advice Dino

It may sound silly but pretend you are the energy coming off of the plow when plowing and image your going to take the shortest route with the least resistance to unload and see where your going to end up

It seems you have that energey going straight back to those bolts that are holding on your sway bar (they will not have enough sheer strenght to hold up.)

try and send that energy out and around the frame so its it being shared by a bigger mass then those bolts for the sway bar

Does that make sence? It may not be easey

·
Registered
620 Posts
A welding shop could fab up the necessary supports pretty easy. Since it's an older truck, you could even weld everything in place. Definately add some support to the side of the frame rails.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i think i would add som additonal reinforvement to the rear mounts thats alot of stress for those 2 say bar bolts to absorbe not to mention when they fail there its likely to take out your sway bar too..i would probal have braced it from the back of the mount to the sides of the frame for 2 reasons because you can support it better either by welding strait to the frame or being able to bolt to the frame with mulitiple bolts and or 1 large bolt such as one with a 3/4 or 1 inch shank.. 2 if it fails like this your less likely to take out your sway bar... it could still hapen but theres less chance. if your relying on just the sway bar bolts like you are now you will affect the sway bar when the bolt breaks...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have a truck like yours and mine goes all the way back to under the seat in the cab and bolts to the frame with 1 1/4 bolts and the front sits on the front springs with a bolt on each side. What i have is one hell of a set up its beefer then anything ive seen. I bought the truck like that. ANd i laugh when i see guys going to the plow shop and see the mount all broken. I look at the new plow and see how they mount to the truck and wounder how it holds up. I guess its good so that gives before the frame. But if i hit something that hard I would be sitting on the hood. If you would like pics i can take some and post them..

Rich:burnout

1 - 10 of 10 Posts