Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so.

I was having a discussion with our forklift repair guy a few minutes ago, and we got to talking about commerical vehicles and license plates in IL. (He currently drives a Chevy 3500 Cargo Van with about 12,000 pounds worth of stuff in the back :eek: )

Anyways...what is the current law for safety inspections on business-plated trucks? I thought it was every 6 months, and he wasn't sure. Do they do emissions testing along with the safety inspections, or is that completely different with "commercial" vehicles?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have my 3500 and trailer saftey tested every 6 mths.
They never have asked for the emissions test although it is only a 2004 model.
Not sure if they would ask to see an emissions test sheet on older trucks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
A motor carrier shall not use a commercial motor vehicle unless each component identified in Appendix G has passed an inspection in accordance with the terms of this section at least once during the preceding 12 months and documentation of such inspection is on the vehicle.

So basically you need an annual inspection, but im not sure that the van would fall under that rule because of its size, going to have to do some more reading on that and will let you know.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eh, van is optional. It's his company truck, so it's really not his problem. I'm more curious about when I pick up a 2500HD. I have my eye on one now! :D

So I've heard one for 6 months and another for 12.....so maybe 9 months as an average? :eek:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Okay, i spent some time at the feds website and if you ever have read the feds stuff you know how it goes. I can tell you that we don not have our F350 and F450 inspected that both run weighted plates. Heres the link to the feds website, if you cn find it in there let me know.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

·
Registered
136 Posts
:beatsme I am definetly interested in this subject.

I know plenty of contractors that are running 3/4 tons on regular B plates that are not regularly inspected. As I have not ever come across any literature to deem it necessary in IL. I Know for weighted plates its every 12 months. But not sure on the pickups, part of the problem is that they issue every Pick-up in Illinois B-plates regardless if it is a personal or comerical vehicle.

Very interested to see what other people have read or know about this topic.

Thanks,
Ryan :beatsme

·
Registered
908 Posts
Ive never been able to figure it out either, even after trying to read the feds site (yeah, that makes sense now, NOT). We have 3 - 1 ton trucks with weighted plates and never do a federal inspection and get plates renewed every year. I cant think of anyone around here who has had a fed inspection on smaller trucks or where to even get on done.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Well maybe I can help as I have and/or have had both the B truck and D-above plates.

Simple when you get a safety inspection they give you a sticker that expires on the last da of the month for the number and year on the sticker. So I just had all three of my trucks, two D plate and a F plate inspected in Feb as I had a 2/06 sticker and they gave me a 8/06 sticker. They have always been SIX MONTHS.

On the B truck plate no Inspection required. If you really want the scoop you have to read the Second Division Vehicle regs in the I.V.C. Any division 2 vehilce is required the safety sticker every six months. (625 ILCS 5/13-111) Mandatory court appearance.

Having the B plate on a 3/4 ton would be OK for the GVWR BUT!!!! if you get stoped and you are over the B plate (8,000 lbs) the fine is whatever the cost of the plate that would make you legal for the actual weight on the scale. So if you got weight in your 3/4 Ton with that 2 yard V box and the plow which might be lets say about 10,000 - 11,000 LBS, (625 ILCS 5/3-401(d) (ask how I know) you will be hit for the D plate would is a 12,000LBS plate making you legal on registration but over on the GVWR which is only a Unsafe Operation ticket. Equipment violation only and $75.00 fine. (625 ILCS 5/12-101) and theese can be written in combonation as they are two different type of violations. one being a registraion violation and the other being the equipment violation.

Lets say you are running passanger plates on your 1/2 ton truck and using it for business. Automatic Registration (625 ILCS 3-401(d)) violation pay the fine for the B plate and have to get the B plate so you just paid for the B plate twice along with a Mandatory Court appearance. (Ask me how I know)

Let say you are towing that trailer of yours and you plate on the trailer is expired but you have a vaild B plate on your 3/4 ton truck. You think, well just a expired plate ticket? WRONG. You get on the scale and need combined registration for the total weight. So there you are with 5 yards of mulch in the truck plus your trailer and over weight on registration. (625 ILCS 5/3-401(d)) Good side is, you two plate (when both vaild) are added togather and that is what you are allows to weight. They can not split the weight, BUT do not get this mixed up with AXEL weights. Like you are loading the trailer heavy in the front and then you load up some mulch and now the rear axel is over GAWR. You just won a Unsafe operation over on GAWR $75.00 fine and the equipment violation ticket (625 ILCS 5/12-101)

Well I know this from having previously been a Certified Truck Weight Enforcement Officer< and a Truck Inspector for nearly 5 years two years of which I was the highest truck fine writter. You do not want to know the numbers.

Simple way to get it right. Call the local police department ask for a traffic officer and ask where is the nearest Truck Safety Lane. Take your truck there and they will tell you what and when you need. My rule is ALWAYS plate for over what the GVWR is that way when you run over most will never write the over on GVWR but they WILL write the registration violation because that is that money ticket.

Oh, lastly over weight fine are CASH BOND. So you get caught over on lets say a D plate and the next plate would cost you $485. that is your fine and that is your CASH BOND. There is a 1,000 pound grace on registration but if you ae over 1,001 that you are over for the entire amount. If you are 999 over you are good.

Good luck.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I was the highest truck fine writter. You do not want to know the numbers.

Even though i know my big truck will pass, i'm staying the hell out of your town. In fact, i just got out the map and luckily im usually going south when i go through your state and wont be seeing you any time soon. But if you get a big truck like the one in my avatar from Universal Am-Can, its my dad, please let him go!

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Although I am not in that line of work anymore I am sure someone else is following in my foot steps, as there was a huge amount of pressure from the top brass to make a public showing of having trucks stopped and having them get weighted too. You would be surprised how many people in town (every Town) call to complain about trucks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Evergreen,

Thats fantastic, thanks for all of the useful information. I have skimmed the IL motor vehicle code before and its tedious and daunting to say the least. The way you broke it down makes it a lot simplier and easier to understand.

I was actually suprised when reading through the IL code and noticing specifics about lights/lifts and how many motorists out there violating those specific laws, but didnt know who was out there actually enforcing them rules. So thanks again

While I am typing away, I have an interesting question along the same lines.

Has anyone ever been pulled over on a BLVD or Lake Shore Drive with "B" or higher plates? I stay as far away from there as possible, and really get tifted when I see the 3/4 Suburbans and Excursions out there that are similar to size/weight of my truck but dont have to be "B" plated. anywhose just curious. Especially as we are looking into getting the possibility of a boat this summer.

Thanks guys,

Ryan

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
I have accounts in Chicago and traveled LSD from time to time with the CO truck and trailer. Never been stopped. Have also seen other trucks on LSD. Not that is means it is legal but have never been stopped or even noticed and restriction signs but I will be looking next time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Lake shore drive is a no-no for b-plate trucks - Ask me how I know!

CGB

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Snoworks said:
Lake shore drive is a no-no for b-plate trucks - Ask me how I know!

CGB
Got a warning myself, I was pissed as was stated leisure vans and Suburbans with car plates are fine. I still run it if I am in a hurry.
Watch your butt Ron as I think trailers are a no no as well.
Todd

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've done my fair share of sneaking on by on LSD, hmm sounds familiar-maybe from a song lol. Anyways yeah the only sign I have really ever noticed is on the feeder ramp from 55/94 that states LSD north NO TRUCKS, LSD south ALL TRUCKS but what if you get on at columbus/randaloph/wacker anywhere I have never noticed any signs but try to avoid it if I can.

If my memory serves me correct I ran into a very nice Chicago Police Officer one time who I believe stated that there is like one cop that is assigned to enforcing the restrictions on LSD. And you think a truck/trailer, van or suv is bad. What about all of the tour busses, that can not be good either lol see um do it anyways.

Take care,
Ryan

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Todd and Chuck,
I hear what you are saying. I was not sure as I have heard talk about it but I first couple of time I looke dfor signage and saw nothing. I usually get on right at Roosevelt/Congress and take it to Irving. Sometime I get on at far south as like 67th and no signs not that it would make a difference if I do get stoped.

Guess I will be re-routing that work. Good thing is it is a once a month trip to the loop.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Mich

Like Crash said the Feds want a annual inspection i do the yearlys at the shop , heres a twist on 350and up weighted plates please understand i found this out for a fact on dec 18th 04 in Tecumseh Mi after rolling the service truck.

State of Mi reqires a annual inspection , Med certif , and aprop license on any commercial use vech wieghted over 10,000lbs . So states can mandate what they want pretty much i spend alot of time at the Dot station in Bridgeport Mi and once i upset a inspector simply questioning the reason on deadlining a truck only to be made to produce docu for my own truck.

The Mich motor carrier patrol has since pulled both of my wreckers over and i have had to produce these docs.

Ps another good tip if you have a CCW permit and you carry its wise to have the permitt with you if you are packing :grinz

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Pickering Snow said:
Ps another good tip if you have a CCW permit and you carry its wise to have the permitt with you if you are packing :grinz
Why I thought Janet Reno left with Clinton ? :rolling
Oops sorry Chuck.

Todd

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't have to worry about leaving my CCW card at home.....Illinois doesn't have them :rolleyes:

Anyways, back on topic!

Wow. That's ALOT of information. From what I read, I think I can be ok with having B plates on a 2500HD, maybe with a plow. I think. I highly doubt I'll be trailering anything anywhere, so I should be ok.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one my question helped at least!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts