Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 06 2500hd I have an auxilary light switch, but not it's not for the roof lamps. My roof lamps come on automatically with the parking lights.

So is this power cord going to be in the same location? Some where behind the Cab brake light?

·
Registered
979 Posts
The aux. light switch circuit has wires bundled up above the headliner somewhere in the center as if you were to put in a beacon. You'll need to loosen the handle and coat hanger pins in order to get some slack between the headliner and the roof. I pulled mine and routed the wires to the rear of cab, down along the C-pillar and spliced a quick connector so I can plug in my mini lightbar in seconds and use the switch to operate it. Surely beat scrambling for the cigarette cord on floor in the dark and then try to find the 12V port.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Don't take the head liner down. Just take off the lens for the 3rd brake light and fish the wires out with a coat hanger.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DLCS said:
Don't take the head liner down. Just take off the lens for the 3rd brake light and fish the wires out with a coat hanger.
OK I'll try that first :shades

·
Registered
215 Posts
Radguy said:
OK I'll try that first :shades
Radguy - stop over at GM Upfitters website and look at the publications. It will tell you exactly where you can pick up those wires and the relay as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The wire's will run along the drivers side headline. Just had my down and wited up some switchs to the overhead console. Also the headliner will not come down till you pinch a little black clip that you can only get to from the 3rd brake light. Just go slow and you will be alright.

Regards Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I found it...the way I did it was I unhooked the handle behind the drivers seat. Took the rear brake light out and unhooked the black tab. Then I could easily get to it, it was almost right above the drivers sunvisor.

Thanks for all the info :rockon

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stephen, how did you get the wire out of the truck? Do you just run the light wire into the cab or did you drill a hole and run the wire out through a grommet?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry I missed out a little detail on that part. I did not drill any holes. Inside the truck I just simple run the wire along the plastic C-pillar cover and spliced a quick connector. When I need the lightbar, I just toss it on the roof, open the extended cab door, route the wire between the door and body, plug in the connector inside, then close the door. The weatherstrips on the door/body provides a good cushion protection so it does not hurt the lightbar cord, at least on my truck.

·
Registered
336 Posts
NYRookie said:
Stephen, how did you get the wire out of the truck? Do you just run the light wire into the cab or did you drill a hole and run the wire out through a grommet?
NY Rookie
I just did mine,and I notched the bottom of the 3rd brakelight and a little notch on the back of the cab. A little paint and a kevlar sleave and some silicon caulk and was weather tight. I then installed a Packard Weatherpack connector. Will try to post pictures first part of the week. My main computer is dead soIm using my laptop.

Regards Mike

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
Mike................Looks good !!!

I have mine running out the side of the headliner.

The link for the Gm Upfitter site is:
http://www.gmupfitter.com
Go to publications pg.27 for full plow prep. info.....................

·
Registered
660 Posts
You can also run it out the rear cab vent.

·
Registered
609 Posts
flykelley said:
NY Rookie
I just did mine,and I notched the bottom of the 3rd brakelight and a little notch on the back of the cab. A little paint and a kevlar sleave and some silicon caulk and was weather tight. I then installed a Packard Weatherpack connector. Will try to post pictures first part of the week. My main computer is dead soIm using my laptop.

Regards Mike

I did mine the same way. I have a 2 prong trailer plug that hangs out of my 3rd brake light. I then can plug in my magnetic light when I need it.

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
GUYS............Just FYI if you have a 03 and up GM truck with the plow prep pkg. and the aux light switch on the dash.

If you happen to dig the wires out of the headliner and have NO power to them or the button on the dash don't light up either heres the EASY solution before you rip your hair out or waste time and money at the dealer...........

Check your underhood fuse center for stud #2 for a maxi fuse. Cheap GM stopped putting in a fuse around 03. Pop in a fuse and you will have power !!

Please note stud #1 will also be missing a fuse and that one controls the aux. power wire in your trailer hitch plug...................geo:D

BTW: the 2 wires your looking for in the headliner are a heavy brown+ and a heavy black-
and are blunt cut and just laying up there bare. I guess thats why NO fuse installed?????

1 - 20 of 39 Posts