Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of quite a few ATV accidents lately,and was curious what kinds of protection you use for your guys plowing with ATV's.I guess this question could apply to riding mowers too.

Do you use a helmet at least ? Safety clothing,or vest ? Any kind of warning beacon ?

I raced motorcycles for years,and would never think of getting on any motorized equipment without the proper safety gear.I think a good helmet and boots should be the bare minimum.Bright colored clothing with reflective material would help in getting noticed.Just curious as to what you guys are doing ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Helmet for sure. My wife and I rolled one a couple years ago, she was sitting on the back (probably not a good idea to beging with) she was saying something to me, I slightly turned my head to hear what she said, then my left front tire hit a big rock, steered the atv up a steep bank, and before we could bail it rolled right over us. It rolled right over my head, and her legs. Without helmets we would have been more seriously injured for sure. SHe still has a few scars. I think wearing a helmet and not riding with two people on the machine are really good ideas.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We don't really wear helmets when plowing with the ATV. Then again, we don't go really fast, either. If I am riding the ditches, I'll wear a helmet. If it is really cold or windy out, I usually just throw a facemask and goggles on (When it's that cold, the faster you go, the colder it gets:p ) I do have my Polaris jacket on with reflective material. I also thought about a strobe, but it would get REALLY annoying, having it constantly blinking right behind you.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
i dont use an atv for plowing but i would suggest a helmet for plowing look at it this way you may be going slow and you may not hit anything that throws you from the atv but what is a car were to somehow hit the atv throwing you from it... atleast with the helmet although you will still prob be banged up a bit atleast your head should all be in one piece... not much worse than a major head injury... also i think a blinking light could also be useful although minorly annoying one would get used to it and it would be a minor inconvience compared to added visibility it provides... also one other good thing about the helmet it'll help keep your head warm...

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a helmet would be a neccesity.Too many things can go wrong,and a helmet keeps your noggin intact.

I'm sure some small LED's could be used for visibility,as they don't draw much,and are compact and easy to mount.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No this isnt an ATV , but it can get goin prett y quick. And with rear steering its not the easiest to steer at speed...........so we go slow:cool: As for lighting it has reflectors on the back and a bright front light. It also has a strobe that we place on the rool bar. Its magnetic and during trasport it has fallen off. So if its not on the rollbar it on the engine cover(as seen in the pic).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Chris, I agree with you. Anytime I used to go out riding, I ALWAYS put my helmet on. I will admit though, a helmet was the only piece of protection I used to wear. I wore long pants mostly though and long shirts, as long as it wasnt hot as hell out, and gloves too. But as far as boots or a chest protector, nope never, I admit it, just a helmet. But I think keeping your head protected is a must, it pretty much goes without saying. Also, the guys who use quads for plowing, the helmet will keep your head covered and warm too, and face covered as well. So not only is it safer, it would also keep your head and face warm I think. :) Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
definetly a helmet. if not just for safety but warmth! As for the strobe, mount a pole to the rack, and mount the light on top of the pole where it wont be any more annoying than the one on the roof of the truck.

Mike, are you sure you haven't crashed without a helmet at least once?:D

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is alittle off topic, but. A few years ago I was riding the snowmachine through a field that I had gone through a hundred times before. This time I went off the trail towards the woods chasing a coyote that was running through the field.:rolleyes: I then saw my cousin hit the breaks and when I turned around I went through a double wire fence at 40 mph. :headwall Three twisted vertabraes in my neck, it hurt like hell. What I did have on was my branspankin new $200 helmet that saved my life. I never rode without a helmet on my 3 wheeler or snowmachine before or will I ever. The helmet was trashed after 1 time, well worth it's weight in gold if you ask me. A little winded but it is my testimonial on wearing a helmet. That summer my cousin and brother in law crashed their 3 wheelers and walked away with just some butterfly bandages and bruises, but their melons where intact, at least as much as they where before the accidents.:D

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Ouch, glad to hear none of you guys were really hurt too bad. The last part of your post was funny though, I think we all have a cousin or a brother in law like that! :D Mike :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Safety is very important and must not be overlooked in any work (or otherwise) situation. The problem with riding an ATV for doing walks or other areas is your visability. Working around pedestrians and vehicles alike, there are many possible obstructions and potential hazzards. Either striking something or being struck by, either one puts the operator at risk. Proper training is the first defense. Second - making sure the operator is visible to avoid being hit or having someone step out in front of you.

Our sidewalk crews (and truck drivers) all have the safety coats. The walk crews also have pants. The gortex suits not only keep the guys comfortable, but they are bright yellow with reflective strips. They really stand out. We also put a strobe on the ATV.

As for a helmet... I think wearing a helmet is a necessity when trail riding. We do make helmets available to operators, and it's their choice if they want to wear them. Personally, I don't like wearing a helmet when working on the ATV since I think it cuts down on your peripheral (sp?) vision, which could cause an accident. Having your head on a swivel is all important, however, you need your peripheral vision I believe, and helmets severely reduce this. For trail riding this wouldn't matter since you're looking in only once direction - forward. But for busy work areas, this might be problematic.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A good helmet will not cut down on vision enough to outweigh the safety benefits.I rather see a little less,or have to turn my head a little more,to have my head protected in case of an accident.

Wearing goggles has the same effect as a helmet,they also restrict vision to either side.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have always used Shoei,but mostly as they were a sponsor.I wouldn't want to have to buy one,they are expensive.

HJC makes a good quality helmet at a reasonable price.A snowmobile helmet would probably be best,as it would be warm,and geared more toward winter use.A heated visor would keep it from fogging up.

If your really concerned about vision,maybe an open face helmet would be better than nothing at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK, livin in Alaska has definitely taught me about helmets in the winter on snow machines.. I've actually used an open face Bell helmet with Winter flip up shield. I also wear very warm face/neck protectors to cover what the helmet doesn't. I've worn this combo down to -25f and riding at 45-50mph.. There are plenty of helmets made for snowmachining and the insulation is very thick. They have all sorts of face shields that can be plugged into the machine or are just double lensed that seem to work well too.

Check around for a good fit and good visibility. I chose an open face because I mainly use it for riding my goldwing during the Summer. Alaska is a non-mandatory helmet state but, I'll always wear mine. It always amazes me to see Harley riders wearing all that leather and just a rag on thier head..

As for making the helmets available but leaving it up to the operators?? I would think you might leave yourself open for your indurance company to drop you pretty quick. The first time a rider gets his brain tweaked, the medical prices soar and the insurance company wants more money. Perhaps if you told the insurance company that you require helmets to be worn, the bill might go down a bit. Ya never know..

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Any Snell approved helmet is going to offer excellent visibility. As for brands, Shoei, Bell, Arai, Agv, Bieffe, CKX, Gmax, are all excellent helmets, all have snell approved models. And all offer full face snow Helmets with double lens anti fog sheilds and some even offer them with electric shields. Mototcross types with chin guards, open face types....etc. The snow type even have breath boxes in them to direct your breath out of the helmet.

I sell new helmets in my ebay store, if you are interested email me we can do something. I can also get many other models/ colors than the ones listed, i can email pictures.

I know that it is against the rules to sell stuff on here, If I have crossed that line I am sorry. Dont buy from me, I dont care, but buy helmets for safety sake and make your guys wear them, for their safety and your piece of mind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts