Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this video, talking about attack angle on a snowplow.

Is attack angle important only where the edge of the plow hits the plowed surface, or does it also need to change the angle of the moldboard?

I know with the Fisher design, changing the attack angle moves both the trip edge angle, as well as the orientation of the mold board.

If you could adjust each separately, would there be a need to move the moldboard, or are you only concerned about the angle of the edge in contact with the ground?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
902 Posts
°of the steel edge
The curl of the blade throws the snow forward .

the mfg suggested cutting angle is usually achieved by having the push frame / sector level.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I saw this video, talking about attack angle on a snowplow.

Is attack angle important only where the edge of the plow hits the plowed surface, or does it also need to change the angle of the moldboard?

I know with the Fisher design, changing the attack angle moves both the trip edge angle, as well as the orientation of the mold board.

If you could adjust each separately, would there be a need to move the moldboard, or are you only concerned about the angle of the edge in contact with the ground?

Thanks!
In the case of the HDX that you link to, the entire moldboard (and cutting edge) angle changes. As the cutting edge becomes more vertical, the top of the blade tilts more forward.

A more "aggressive" attack angle scrapes harder and cleaner but results in more rattling, vibration, and wear on the edge. Less aggressive won't clean as well but gives smoother operation.

On the older models, the stainless steel XBlade had the more aggressive attack angle which wasn't adjustable. Some people purchased it because they wanted the SS which wasn't available on the HD plow but then they were unhappy with the cons of the attack angle. The redesigned HDX gives you the best of both worlds by allowing you to buy the SS while not forcing you to use the more aggressive attack angle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts