Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just was woundering if everyone in the north east is ready for the cold temps that are suppose to be here wensday throught nexted week. Maybe -s in the overnight:eek: Thats just a little nipply. I may have to go from my sweet****s to my flannels.
So what do you guys do to keep your trucks working. Im mostly worried about my western ele-hydo pump. Because i hear people said theres froze. I personaly havent had it happen to me. But i store my truck at a storage place out doors so its not driving unless i have to haul something or im plowing and i want to keep it safe. The engine and everything is all set no worries there just the plow pump. Much thanks. By the way i just changed the fluid in the pump and put in western fluid back in that i got from the dealer. If that helps

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
well for the guys that have diesels you better put the fuel additive in the tank so you don't gel up .:burnout

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have a diesel. But i am a diesel mechanic. And i hear a lot of people complaine about additaives not working for what they are intended for. And the one i find to work the best for both gas and diesel is lucas fuel treatment, its like $20 a gallon. And there oil treatment is great too. The only treatments i have ever used that works.

Rich :burnout

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have to fix the choke on the jeep so that it will start without pumping the gas about 100 times and I want to pull my e-47 off and store it in the house until it is needed. less chance of it freezing

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I have been using the power service . been working for me good so i can't complain.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've also had good luck with the Power Services (at least down to 12 below, the coldest it's got yet). It even adds a consistent mile per gallon or so.

If you're worried about the plow pump freezing up, it might be kinda late, but you could get one of those magnetic heaters from JCWhitney or someone for 20 bucks, and wrap it around the pump, or use velcro. I haven't tried it, or know of anyone who has, but I think it would work, and keep the fluid nice and warm.

Good Luck, we are sitting pretty chilly right now (10 below), but we don't have any snow coming:rolleyes:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well, the cold weather is here now but where and when is the snow coming?:D

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
I have seen guys put foam pipe insulation on their plow hoses to help keep them insulated while out plowing in cold temps. It does make sense, and the stuff is cheap enough.

~Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you don't have any water contamination in your pump, I think your freeze up worries are unfounded. If you flush and change fluid annually, and use the correct low temp. fluid in the pump it work fine in sub zero temps. As an extra precaution, I add a couple of ounces of Isopropyl gas line anti-freeze to my Meyer lift. I broke out the extention cord for the block heater on my 6.5 Turbo Diesel, and with the 15w-40 Amsoil synthetic in the crankcase, she should start just fine.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
FYI it is -15F right now and my Blizzard has had zero problems with freeze up (moves a little slow though)

I am having problems with ice build up in the wings so the pass side doesn't retract right now.

The parking brake is iced up too...

Howard

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the inout guys i just went to get my truck from storage this moring and i plan on doing a few things to the truck and plow before i bring it back tonight.

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep, in the garage all night and plugged in and amsoil throughout and if it gets to cold Ill hook up my forced air heater other than that she will be fine it really helps keeping them out of the wind at night!Plus once a month I put it on the battery charger and the dual optima batteries are great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts