Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once again now that I'm going through all the extra BS with DOT regulations, another question comes up.

Does a driver who drives a class 6 straight truck with a GVW of 26,000 lbs need to have a Medical card even though he does NOT need to have a CDL to operate this truck?

All of my drivers who have CDL's also carry medical certificates with them when operating our trucks reguardless of GVW being above or below 26,000 lbs on the peticular truck being driven.

I have one driver who has a regular drivers license. (Non-CDL) This driver operates one of my F-650's that is rated under 26,000 GVW. We have never had any problems in the past several years with DOT officers but now I could see some possible problems in the future due to the situation.

Does he need to have a Medical card on hand when driving this truck? Can he get a Medical card without having a CDL?

Once again just trying to cover my but from the unknown. :(

This kind of reminds me of when the Forklift certifications came into play ten years ago. Recertification cards every two years regardless that people out there have been operating these machines for their entire life! Don't get caught without it. :eek:

Jake

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
Jake, anything over 10k used commercially is a CMV and drivers are required to have a medical card. I still have mine from a couple years ago although I think it's about to expire. The exam takes less than an hour and I think the cost at one of the fly-by-night clinics here was all of $50/driver. The handbook I have references USDOT 49 CFR 391.41 and 391.43, not sure if those help you or not. The handbook also references a criminal background check required in MN every 3 years. Good times, too many regs...

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
So let's just make every illegal a legal citizen and they don't have to obey the laws, allow a bunch of terrorists that flew planes into our buildings and kill US citizens overstay there visas and nobody gives a crap until 9/11, but by God we're going to make every person that drives a 350 and up get a med certificate and we're going to have a crapload of enforcement officers to keep up on it even though we don't give a **** about our borders.

:soapbox

I think I better go take my happy pills now.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:
So let's just make every illegal a legal citizen and they don't have to obey the laws, allow a bunch of terrorists that flew planes into our buildings and kill US citizens overstay there visas and nobody gives a crap until 9/11, but by God we're going to make every person that drives a 350 and up get a med certificate and we're going to have a crapload of enforcement officers to keep up on it even though we don't give a **** about our borders.

That's right Mr. Oomkes. Now duck your head. Are those hand cuffs too tight Mr. Oomkes? I could apply some :ff to your wrists if you'd like.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Mark Oomkes said:

Once again Mark, you've summed it up very well. We obviously have our priorities waaaaaay outta wack. Something has to change, and soon.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
John Banks said:
Once again Mark, you've summed it up very well. We obviously have our priorities waaaaaay outta wack. Something has to change, and soon.
Well by golly your right Mr. Oomkes.
The key is the fines pay big money, kinda like Osha. We fine you "Joe business owner", therefore we exist.
T

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
If he's going out of State, he'll need a medical card. Instate, he may not. The OWNER of the truck MIGHT get away without a medical card if he told whoever stopped him that he is on a personal trip. Anyway, that was the response I got when I called the Maine DOT when I wanted to take my 350 on a trip several years ago (that turned in a fiasco).

I wonder what would have happened if I got stopped the year I took it to John Parker's? I came back with a pallet of Magic Salt and two 55 gallon drums of Magic -0. I might have had a problem convincing anyone it was for personal use.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Mick said:
I wonder what would have happened if I got stopped the year I took it to John Parker's? I came back with a pallet of Magic Salt and two 55 gallon drums of Magic -0. I might have had a problem convincing anyone it was for personal use.
Next time, have some :ff labels on hand to cover over the Magic-O labels. Then you can easily convince anyone it's for personal use:D Or, you can at least tell them it's for your brothers' Bill and Jay personal use. :wink

1 - 10 of 10 Posts