Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I had been plowing multiple commercial lots most of the day and all night on my JD 790 tractor, with out a cab. I got to my last account at about 5:30 in the morning. I told my better half I was going to catch about 15 minutes of sleep. Had the tractor on the trailer on the back of the truck with the truck diesel engine running, so I dozed off. I awoke about 20 minutes later, scared crapless, slamming on the clutch and brakes. I thought I had gone to sleep while driving!! It shook me up so bad, I had the bone chills for the next 1.5 hours while I finished up my last account. I guess total exhaustion does this to you and the sudden burst of addreanalin doesn't help, either. Scared me so bad, I vowed never to plow that long again without some sleep, coffee, or something.

Dave

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have had similar experiences- but what is even worse is when you are actually at home in bed, all curled up with your wife, and just starting to doze off when all of a suddne you hit the brakes cuz you swear you fell asleep at the wheel! Not only does it scare the **** out of you- but then you have to deal with your wife who was sleeping peacefully and is now wide awake!

I also had problems after a 12-14 hor day where I was doing something repetetively (this year it was running a screw gun- too many decks and metal roofs! ) ad in my sleep I keep doing it- I have been punched a few times for that one!

I have found that it is better to grab several quick naps here and there instead of pushing myself too far- woke up one to many times doing exactly what you were refering too!!

Hope you get some good sleep tonight!!

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Another thing that sucks when it happens is when ya goto sleep and wake up and think ya have slept through 13 hours and then when ya look outside ya really only got like an hours sleep...

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have had a few similar experiences , but usually after being out for 18 hrs straight. When I try to relax it's like my mind won't shut down.

·
Registered
905 Posts
LOL!The freakiest thing like that i've expirenced was back when i worked construction i was sitting behind the wheel of our crew cab International parked alongside our Mack tractor/trailer,i was reading the paper waiting for the other guys to get there crap together and get in to goto the job,well our tractor/trailer driver got in the Mack(i hadn't noticed) and proceeded to back up,i glanced out the corner of my eye and about died!I hit the brakes and grabbed the wheel,my heart was pounding about 400 beats a minute:eek: I could have swore i was rolling away:D

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a similar experience regularly. I earn my medical insurance as a Philadelphia firefighter. The way we alert the men on call is by turning a switch at the watchdesk that turn on every light in the station and ring a series bells. Hence fourth, I'm use to jumping out of bed from a sound sleep when I sense lights comming on. So when I'm sleeping and someone turns on a bright light, the covers go flying and I sit up, till I gather my thoughts and surroundingsomg

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
They say you shpould never take your naps in the vehicles you are using, for just that reason. At least move over to the passeger seat so you can't accidently unpark or break something, or have a heart attack from waking up behind the wheel and not realizing you are not in a driving situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, I will have to remember that. I will tell my better half that I need to be in the passenger seat with her!!! Makes my motor rumble!!!!:D :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Been there
Done that too

Woke up while parked, been parked and the vehicle next to me moved first.
Even the passenger side doesn't help sometimes
Was riding in a car in the front pass seat going down the freeway, dosed off and when the car got to the exit and veered over into the exit lane my body must have sensed the lane shift and thinking I fell asleep and drove off the road woke up in a panic and slammed my foot to the floorboard thinking I was slamming on the brakes. Sure put a jolt into the driver:D

·
Registered
289 Posts
When I was about 17 I fell asleep while actually driving, but thats another story. Anyway, I have jumped awake more times that I care to remember. The last time I did it I was in the passenger seat and damn near caused another accident due to scaring the driver so bad.

No more sleeping in vehicles for me, whether there moving or not :nope

Andy

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I dont want to get to that point . When I start to get sloppy with my driving i.e. not looking when I backup, thats it for me . Time for some sleep .

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Dad drove truck for 30 plus years, and the guys have been known to pull over "anywhere" to catch 10 minutes sleep. They would just stay in the drivers seat, and lean their head on the wheel. Most of the time they woke up fighting the wheel...

Occasionally , someone would pull another truck right up nose to nose with the sleeping drivers cabover, then hit the air horn. When they woke up, all they saw was TRUCK.

I'm sure it took years off their lives !!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Geez Tom , I am SURE you took years off their lives

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
PineIsland said:
My Dad drove truck for 30 plus years, and the guys have been known to pull over "anywhere" to catch 10 minutes sleep. They would just stay in the drivers seat, and lean their head on the wheel. Most of the time they woke up fighting the wheel...

Occasionally , someone would pull another truck right up nose to nose with the sleeping drivers cabover, then hit the air horn. When they woke up, all they saw was TRUCK.

I'm sure it took years off their lives !!
And probaly put a pile in their pants... that would suck getting woke up like that...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gee, for that stunt, I think I would have to just go ahead, put the truck in gear and hit them!!!!:burnout

1 - 16 of 16 Posts