Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Scott

No, thats not right, how much of a differance are we talking about. Its possible that you have a lift cylinder in place of a turn cylinder. Measure the length of all 3 cylinders (Painted part fo cylinder), both turns should be the same with the lift being shorter. I dont have the lengths but if i remember the turns are 12" and the lift is a 10".

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Crash, both cylinders are the same size and I do not see any evidence of any bends in "A" frame or plow. When its angles towards the truck on passenger's side its 4 - 6 inches more than the driver's side. I wish I noticed this back when I bought the plow, I would have brought it back.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Sounds stupid but double check your pins at the cylinders,make sure you didn't lose or break one,seen it happen a million times,well,maybe not 1 million,but i have seen it once on a new V plow install:D

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
different angle

Scott, in the past I have noticed that but it was temporary . never figured out what happened ?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Good ol' Don, speaking from experience.

The only other 3 things i can think of is that there is something seriously wrong with your mount and or truck frame, or something internally wrong with a turn cylinder or look for a pinched turn hose when you have the blade angled.

If you cant see a pinched hose, anything wrong with the truck part of it i would start looking towards a bad cylinder.

Let us know what you find, Don and i love these puzzles .

Jeff

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good call nben that was one of the things i was thinking. slplow put the blade as close to the center as possible and take a measurement of the two cylinders. Does the cylinder collapse all the way in either direction? Let me know.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
safety chain catching

maybe that what i experience every so often thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
Good thought nben,when i see that happen it's more sparatic,hit and miss,the way i understood it,it was happening constantly.
I hook a bunjy cord to the saftey chain and hook it to the headgear,this keeps the 48 feet of extra chain they give you out of the way and also allows the blade to drop off with the chain slack.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, it's not chain.Both cyl fully collapse. I do not see any thing wrong with the plow to make it do this. I think it was made on a monday or the robots welders had to much oil the night before. Ha Ha

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Scott , Do you see any bracketry that was welded a different distnce from center ?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I had a similar experience with a plow that appeared to not angle fully one way. Turned out to be the bumper on the truck was misaligned and from the side it looked as if the plow was off by at least a few inches. Its a long shot I know but it might be worth a look :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Maybe post some pictures .Someone may notice something

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ARC, mm1. Im going to put it on the truck on friday and some measuring. When i first notice there was a problem . the truck was on level ground and when angled to the right the cutting was a lot closer to the ground than when angled to the left. The truck does sit level with the plow on and the plow lights are level with the truck. The only thing i come up with right now is there is some thing wrong with the blade it self.
I alway's thought that I could not take as much snow with this blade as it should. (windrowing)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Take two c clamps and clamp one on each end in the same spot and run a string between the two of them. Take measurements at different points along the string, although if there is any major bends in the plow you will see it right away by sighting down the string. This will tell you if yourblade is true or bent and where. The next spot to check if it's still true would be to measure the length of your angle cylinders- I would check Fishers web site, or PM Plowtech to see if he can give you the lengths- I don't have the info handy right now. If I run across it I will post the measurements I have. Good luck, and keep us informed on how you make out.

Bill

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Problem solved, It was mostly my eyes but still off 3/4'' There is a good sized bolge on the moldboard where the angle cyl is mounted on the pass side. It's a good thing my new glasses are coming in.:shades :shades

·
Registered
866 Posts
How old is the plow? It sounds like it's doin gwhat my Diamond did- after about 15 years of plowing, LOL! It was a good blade- still have it, going to straighten it out next year and put it back to work. It's never really hit anything other than banks, just started to bend back on each side form use, we tend to get a lot of snow in my area. I'm glad it's nothing major- but you might want to keep an eye on it, and if its bending near where the ram mounts possibly reinforcing the back of the blade to keep it from bending any further. At least you know what the problem is and now you can watch it and figure out how to correct it, or at least keep it from getting worse

Bill

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.