Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Director of Comedy
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOT was in town today, seems to be a once a week thing, breaking them off on petty issues and slamming landscapers especially.
Overheard one officer in a sandwich joint today bragging how laws are changing and now he will be checking plow drivers to see how much seat time they have, no log book? No proof? you can sit for 9 hrs! how nice.
People havent stuck together in any industry lately and it seems its getting harder and harder to make it and now with these wanna be cops being a hassle instead of doing their job.
Our state legislators and law makers, along with DOT workers forget everything they have came by truck, thank you CT for pushing another business away.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
DOT was in town today, seems to be a once a week thing, breaking them off on petty issues and slamming landscapers especially.
Overheard one officer in a sandwich joint today bragging how laws are changing and now he will be checking plow drivers to see how much seat time they have, no log book? No proof? you can sit for 9 hrs! how nice.
People havent stuck together in any industry lately and it seems its getting harder and harder to make it and now with these wanna be cops being a hassle instead of doing their job.
Our state legislators and law makers, along with DOT workers forget everything they have came by truck, thank you CT for pushing another business away.
Well if they do that here they'll have to start with the state subcontractors since almost all of them will have been on the road longer than the law allows. Some 24 hours, maybe longer.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Troopers here just started giving tickets for leaving your ball hitch/pintle hook in your reciever while not towing,talk about scraping for $$$

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Well cross the bridge if it happens....then if it does how the hell can they prove it. Definately not by mileage???

·
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well cross the bridge if it happens....then if it does how the hell can they prove it. Definately not by mileage???
Logbook, no logbook sit for 9 hrs period

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
This is not so much about the landscaper side of things but just in the last couple days there has been 4 tractor trailer incidents between Meriden and Middletown. Two bad accidents Happened in Meriden just a few hours apart

Up on my end we had a tractor trailer truck in the rest area leaking fuel from the saddle tank. The dmv officer then showed us how the truck had three extremely bald and bubbling tires on the trailer. One of the tires was missing a lug nut and the others you could turn by hand. The trailer had leaking wheel cylinders,a pair of channel locks clamping on of the air lines,the landing gear was so rusted out it was just hanging. The pitman arm on the rig was so loose the wheels just wobbled. The driver had no logbook, no medical card and no registration. This truck was driving loaded in the high speed lane going 75 mph from maryland when the dmv officers spotted it.

This truck was a bad accident waiting to happen and im thankful the inspectors are out there. It sucks when they bust the little guys balls but if your equipment is right there shouldn't be a problem.

·
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is not so much about the landscaper side of things but just in the last couple days there has been 4 tractor trailer incidents between Meriden and Middletown. Two bad accidents Happened in Meriden just a few hours apart

Up on my end we had a tractor trailer truck in the rest area leaking fuel from the saddle tank. The dmv officer then showed us how the truck had three extremely bald and bubbling tires on the trailer. One of the tires was missing a lug nut and the others you could turn by hand. The trailer had leaking wheel cylinders,a pair of channel locks clamping on of the air lines,the landing gear was so rusted out it was just hanging. The pitman arm on the rig was so loose the wheels just wobbled. The driver had no logbook, no medical card and no registration. This truck was driving loaded in the high speed lane going 75 mph from maryland when the dmv officers spotted it.

This truck was a bad accident waiting to happen and im thankful the inspectors are out there. It sucks when they bust the little guys balls but if your equipment is right there shouldn't be a problem.
When this exists they are doing they're job and rightly so, I have heard them directly say landscapers are in the crosshairs for various reasons and the harassment I've witness was not called for.
I have seen some DOT officers who were polite and did they're job and explained things out, then again I've seen some who were totally out of line.
Today in Wallingford was totally out of control and I watched people come into my lot with tickets that were worthless to safety.
We are trying to make a living we don’t need to get hammered like we're trash-Period
On the other hand what you described about the truck in your post is justified and needs to be dealt with, people like that kill people.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Today in Wallingford was totally out of control and I watched people come into my lot with tickets that were worthless to safety.
Like Red tagging guys with no windsheild wiper fluid :mad: :headwall That is just BS

Another one I love is the break away battery is dead. I would like to see a trailer break away from a truck and stop immediatly for some reason I think if the trailer seperates from the truck you have bigger things to worry about. I understand the logic just I don't feel guys should be red tagged though.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Troopers here just started giving tickets for leaving your ball hitch/pintle hook in your reciever while not towing,talk about scraping for $$$
that sounds assinine well if everyone stuck together and started charging outragouse prices then who cares right and if they say something about you could say well you started it with all the bs we have to go thru. if you want any services you will have to pay .

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
that sounds assinine well if everyone stuck together and started charging outragouse prices then who cares right and if they say something about you could say well you started it with all the bs we have to go thru. if you want any services you will have to pay .
Some prissy bastard was walking though a parking lot not looking where they where going and prob banged their leg. I would put a weld on one and say it is part of the truck.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Logbook, no logbook sit for 9 hrs period
Last time I checked, no logbook was needed if you are within 115 air miles of your home base.

Or are they bigger pricks in CT?

And how is it illegal to leave a hitch in the receiver? I thought this was a free country?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Im glad most of my work is out of Wallingford now. After someone i know got pulled over in a firetruck coming back from a call i got tired of the cops there.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
i think it is becomeing like russia here Mark. cops and dot doing things for safty reasons they are just mad becase we are taking all there side work away.

·
Registered
930 Posts
No sense worring about things unless they happen.

·
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im glad most of my work is out of Wallingford now. After someone i know got pulled over in a firetruck coming back from a call i got tired of the cops there.
I heard about that directly from a firefighter, dont remember what the ticket was but it was totally uncalled for.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I heard about that directly from a firefighter, dont remember what the ticket was but it was totally uncalled for.
you mean to tell me the cops gave a town vehical a ticket?? can they get any dumber or what. people like that should not be on the job or what ya have to do is follow them around to see the screw ups they do and put it on tape.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Its unfortunate that things have gotten this way. But i must say, we can all thank our fellow "contractors" for most of this stuff. I cant tell you how many times i see grossly overloaded vehicles going down the road. I constantly see pickups towing a skid steer and a roller, rear bumpers dragging, front wheels almost off the ground. Trucks with unsecured loads and material falling off the trucks. Machines on trailers not chained down. Trucks running off road fuel for over the road use.

Dot, the irs and the state see this, see they can make money at it, and bingo, we all get screwed.

As far as the cops messing with fireman, thats been going on for a long time

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
This thread bothered me so I spent a bit of time reading CT law. Not exactly a pinnacle of statutory drafting, but here is the statute that seems to apply:

Sec. 14-274. Hours of operators of motor vehicles with commercial registration or requiring a passenger endorsement or a passenger and school endorsement. (a) No person shall operate, nor shall the owner require or permit any person to operate, any motor vehicle with a commercial registration or a motor vehicle for which a passenger endorsement or passenger and school endorsement is required on the highways of this state, when such operator has been continuously on duty for more than twelve hours, and, after a driver has been continuously on duty for twelve hours, he shall not operate, nor shall the owner require or permit him to operate, any such motor vehicle on the highways of this state until he has had at least eight consecutive hours off duty.

(b) No person shall operate, nor shall the owner require or permit any person to operate, any motor vehicle with a commercial registration or a motor vehicle for which a passenger endorsement or passenger and school endorsement is required on the highways of this state, when such operator has been on duty more than sixteen hours in the aggregate in any twenty-four-hour period, and, when an operator has been on duty sixteen hours in any twenty-four-hour period, he shall not operate, nor shall the owner require or permit him to operate, a motor vehicle with a commercial registration or a motor vehicle for which a passenger endorsement or passenger and school endorsement is required on the highways of this state, until he has had at least ten consecutive hours off duty. The periods of release from duty herein required shall be given at such places and under such circumstances that rest and relaxation from the strain of the duties of employment may be obtained. No period off duty shall be deemed to break the continuity of service unless it is for at least three consecutive hours at a place where there is opportunity for rest. In case of an unforeseen emergency, the driver may complete his run or tour of duty if such run or tour of duty, but for the delay caused by such emergency, would reasonably have been completed without a violation of the provisions of this section. The Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may make such regulations as he deems advisable to insure proper enforcement of this section.

(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any public service company vehicle with a commercial registration when such vehicle is used to transport passengers or property to or from any portion of the state for the purpose of relief or assistance in the case of major loss of utility service, a disaster or other state of emergency declared by the Governor. For the purposes of this subsection (1) "disaster" shall include, but not be limited to, a hurricane, snowstorm, ice storm, flood, fire or earthquake, and (2) "major loss of utility service" means any unplanned outage or interruption, or the imminent risk of outage or interruption, of electric, gas or telephone service, or of service to electric transmission or distribution lines, gas distribution or transmission facilities, electric generation facilities, or other related facilities, or any circumstance related to utility service under which the public safety is at risk, including, but not limited to, any situation where police, fire or other public safety personnel have requested a response by an electric, gas or telephone company to an accident or other situation that presents a hazard to the public. A major loss of utility service begins when the public service company receives notice of the outage, interruption or hazard, or receives notice of the existence of conditions reasonably likely to result in outages, interruptions or hazards, and continues until any necessary maintenance or repair is completed and personnel utilized to perform such necessary maintenance or repair have returned to their regular work routines.

(d) Any person who violates any provision of this section shall, for a first offense, be deemed to have committed an infraction, and for each subsequent offense shall be fined not less than one hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars.

(1949 Rev., S. 2425; P.A. 82-223, S. 19; P.A. 83-577, S. 24; P.A. 90-263, S. 27, 74; P.A. 92-131, S. 1; P.A. 93-341, S. 24, 38; P.A. 04-199, S. 29.)

·
Registered
184 Posts
you mean to tell me the cops gave a town vehical a ticket?? can they get any dumber or what. people like that should not be on the job or what ya have to do is follow them around to see the screw ups they do and put it on tape.
The Watertown DOT Cop pulls over town sanders and gives them tickets for no tarps! I won't do any work in Watertown anymore, they have an asphalt plant there, I'll send my guys on a 1 hour round trip drive just to avoid Watertown because the DOT cop doesn't know anything about trucks. Even the Staties know it. It's all about money these days.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts