Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove by a place that had a V box for sale so stopped to look at it. Outside the thing is'nt in too bad of shape, was told it was 4 yrs old and worked fine last year. It is a Fink brand V box, has a 10.5hp electric start over the spinner that operates the belly belt. Inside the unit barely has any rust, gears, chains, etc... all appear to be in decsent shape.

He flipped the lid on the engine cover and the gas cap was missing and tank was dry:( throttle cab had been literally cut off, no in cab controller-guy said they had it on a toggle switch?? so how'd the electric start work? Just typical 2 yrd V but I'm going on a limb and say motor will probable needed fixed or cleaned out since it's sat since last winter with no gas cap, and then figure out to to run new cables, wires to control it. Can you just run a V box with a toggle switch or does it need to have a few different controls.?

I made an offer on it, but guy said he's had calls on it all week for full sale price, so he's going to wait a couple weeks to see what happens. I just cant see paying $1K less than new for a 4yr old unit that needs parts and work to operate...what do you all think?? If it;s a good brand I may just go back and lay the green down so it looks better than just saying it, but will wait for some responses.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just cant see paying $1K less than new for a 4yr old unit that needs parts and work to operate...
I think you would be nuts to buy a 4 year old gas powered unit not in complete running order to save $1000. A new salter running without any down time will make the difference back in no time. I have never heard of Fink but have heard of Flink.

I made an offer on it, but guy said he's had calls on it all week for full sale price, so he's going to wait a couple weeks to see what happens
He MUST sell used cars or something along those lines during the day job to give you a line like that.

Scott

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm assuming it is a Flink too, which is what I bought used this past spring and am using now.

Mine is a little older. Engine is a standard Briggs and Stratton 8hp oversized lawnmower engine. The gas cap off shouldn't be a big deal, as long as the cover was closed. I would pull the tank off and wash it out thoroughly with hot soap and water, and back-blow the hose. I did that with mine anyways, mainly because there was a broken bracket holding the tank and it was rubbing the plastic on the flywheel.

My biggest beef with my spreader is that it is NOT an electric clutch--it is a centrifugal clutch, like a chainsaw. Therefore, I cannot rev up the engine to keep it running well when cold without spreading, makes it kinda sputter and rev up and down etc. making for a lousy spread pattern. This may be why it only has a toggle switch to operate it.

The wiring on mine would use (but is missing) a momentary toggle... momentary up to start, momentary down to cut the engine, neutrel to run. There is a throttle cable too, but it is also crappy as you pull the cable out a little for full throttle, and all the way for choke.

These things are all items I would like to see different on my machine for next year. Maybe I'll part out the rotten Henderson I bought on ebay (the first rip-off I've ever had on a bought-unseen item), since it had the electric clutch etc...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derek, that's the info I needed to know, thanks a bunch.

Scott, I would not skimp on a $1000 if this would've been a great unit to latch onto for the money, but obviously there is better out there for darn near the same price. Got a call tonight from a realtor buddy and what could turn into a huge money making deal with a township, which they are voting on tomorrow night so new spreader and nice truck/plow will be in the works pending the descion since I will now have road to maintain. Looked at a few single and dual axle dumps this afternoon and if all goes well will have no chioce but to go big :)

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than half the full cost of new for this spreader. It sounds like you'd need to put some parts and time into it, That will eat up a portion of the $1000 savings. The warranty has value too, so figure that into your equation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody have an Idea about Electric Chainsaw? I am a woodcutter but my chainsaw not perform the best work. So I really need it which is used for good and fast.
Please, anybody, help me choose the best chainsaw!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts