Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I trigger the tilt, my GMC will almost stall. The voltmeter drops right down to barely readable. I've cleaned all the terminals, removed, cleaned all the grounds, etc. My local NAPA says the alternator is putting out OK. Do you think I need a higher output alternator, or have I missed checking something?

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
the big ground for the power is connected to the battery, right? MAKE SURE.

If that's right, it sounds to me like the battery is taking a dump. The battery supplies the power to run things, the alternator keeps the battery topped off. Either you've got WAY too much load when you run the plow, of the battery doesn't have enough juice in it to run things while the alternator catches up.

Sounds like the alternator is getting loaded so heavily that the engine can't handle it at idle...

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I agree,the battery is likely on its way out,have it load tested with a carbon pile tester,after making sure its fully charged.If you dont have a repair shop you trust,I'd find a local auto electrical supply shop, they will be able to do it right there,as well as throw the amp probe on the plow wire and see what it is drawing.So make sure you have your plow on the truck when you go there.In 5 minutes a good shop will have you diagnosed and on your way to being fixed up.Most places will check your battery and accesory draws for free.I would not take it to a place like autozone though,you want a good repair shop or an auto electrical shop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Guys
The ground from the plow is actually bolted to the frame. This was done by the original installer and a very reputable dealer. (When I checked with him on another problem, he admitted that this was the one & only Curtis plow he had ever installed). I'll certainly change the position & run it right to the battery. By the way, the battery is barely a year old. Of course, that don't mean too much, as it could be defective. But the ole truck starts up for me easily at 0 degrees.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Main Ground on Sno Pro 2000

Hey Guys,
I got to thinking about running the main ground right to the battery.
Then I found the wiring diagram. Curtis shows running it to the chassis, so
I'm leaving it as is, unless someone who has run it directly to the battery negative tells me different.
Chuck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grounding

mine is connected right to the battery and i have no problems
Hey! Thanks!
I haven't had any reason to check this site lately, so I just read your reply.
Right now, I'm laid up with a minor back ailment (at least I hope it's minor). I haven't got my plow on yet, and haven't even committed to contract anyone.
We haven't had enough snow yet to plow anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts