Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i dropd all my comercial lots and im doing residental.
My pricing
say the drive is $50.00 which is average

$50 3"-6"
6"-9"times 1.5 + 25
9"-12" times 2 +50
12''-over times 3 +50

total 175

Please any help would be much help. If i charged per push this pass storm it would of cost a lot more:cash

·
Registered
133 Posts
My price is 50 for a average driveway, I come out every 6 to 8 inches. I also shovel a path to thier front door. example if we get a 20 inch storm it would be 150$ for a driveway. I can't see how anybody would do it for less. I always have customers saying that my price is too high, but then again they also think that my equipment is indistuctable and gas is free for me:argue ohh well

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It all depends what the priceing is in your area... but if $50 is waht you need to charge to make a profit and cover all your bills then i wouldnt budge... but only you can really tell how much you have to make along with what amount of profit you want to make...

·
Registered
866 Posts
I wish I could get those prices- unfortunately the lowballer's run rampant on residential driveways around me. I run a 3" trigger and my price varies from $10 to $45 depending on length and obstacles. Too many guys running around doing drivewas for $5 to put up too much of a fight- I sell the fact that I am reliable, discuss where the snow goes. I advise them that I do have commercial accounts that have priority, but that I will keep an eye on them and that they will be done promptly. I offer 24 hour service and advise them to call anytime if an emergency arises- I usually don't get too many accounts in the beginng of the year- but I do get a few calls towards the end of the season when their guy decides he's done for the season, or his truck breaks and he can't fix it, or when he's got things so screwed up there is no more places to put the snow- then I have to go in with the truck and/or tractor to clean up. I do of course charge more when this happens and try to set up a contract for the next year. This will be my first full year back in the business- always had a fulltime job before so I could not devote enough time to this business til now.

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I just cant understand how someone could make any money plowing for $5 or $10 a drive...

·
Registered
866 Posts
$10 is what I get for a small two car drive- two swipes and I'm done- usually about 5 mins work- it goes up from there. I am looking at doing mainly commercail work next year- I have a chance at wrapping up quite a bit of work about ten minutes from my house- will be quite lucrative for me!!

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
wow $10 is low i wont even drop the blade for less that $30.. and thats for a small drive...

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i should say i live in Fairfield county Ct i plow in Westport, Weston, darien All the Rich towns were the lowest pay is $200,000 a year.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Unfortunately right now someof my customers are lucky to break the $15k barrier this year. I had some family problems that prevented me from going after more accounts until it was too late to bid them. But next year that will definitely not be the case- I am workign on my bids now for the spring- to try and sign up the commercial accounts I'm looking at for lawncare as well as snow management.

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
hope all goes well for you next season... Have fun cutting the grass in the summer i prefer to work with horses when im not plowing...

·
Registered
866 Posts
Adams Plowing said:
hope all goes well for you next season... Have fun cutting the grass in the summer i prefer to work with horses when im not plowing...
I saw that you were a ferrier in your post under the poll about what everyone else does besides snow. My sister is an all natural one and does work from Virginia ( where she lives) to CT on a regular basis- she's up there about every two weeks. I grew up cleaning the barns for a farm that raised thoroughbreds (sp?)- my sister trained them for riders and racing. She got out of that and now does rehab mainly when she's not working on their hooves!

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
its a good job... i get to work with horses like i like to do anyways and the pay is pretty damn good too...

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Well i think your prices sound fair. NO where near what I just saw in the local pennysaver. I hope you all are sitting down,because i almost fell off my computer chair when i read this. "SAVE THIS Snowplowing Name your price! (Reasonable) Senior Citizen Discount" I hope it is not any members of this site from the area.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I would like to get $ 50 per drive but not around these parts mins are $30-40. Fifty would allow for a decent profit After you pay yourself ,employees and bills .

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Travel & Bar Consultant
2,029 Posts
BILL......76.................AMEN to your posts!

Bill I hear ya about the lowballers in CNY !
Both res. and comm. accounts............

I just happily drive by during and after we get
clobbered and they are STILL buried !

I lost the firebarn and town square accounts
AGAIN this year......TOOO expensive they say !

NObody plowed or salted the town square this
weekend. Solid sheet of ice over there........

I saw the rescue squad over there yesterday...
Somebody slipped and fell!
Another lawsuit.........................geo

·
Registered
413 Posts
Pricing is relative to the market. Sure $50.00 per drive sounds great. It sounds even better if you can knock out 12 an hour. But I'd be willing to bet you've got a fair bit of drive time on each and it takes 10 to 15 mins to plow. Do you get three or four done each hour?

This area drives go for between $150 and $400 per season generally without shoveling and extras. I had a guy call me looking for a price for his mom. After asking all the pertinent questions he told me that he had a price from one other guy who was charging $200.00 for the drive and that she was used to paying $150.00, he was hoping to find a better price. He spends all the time shopping to save $20.00. He'll be the guy to drive an extra three miles to save $.02 on a gallon of gas. Of course they couldn't get in touch with last year's guy... hmmmm!?

Bottom line is that pricing varies from place to place. Here, after you plow for the season it works out to between $10 and $20 per drive. You have to keep a tight plow route thus minimizing drive time. This is true anywhere.

Beware though, more and more guys sell their work only on the virtue of price. The customer uses price as the determining factor for whom they will hire, since it is the only real quantative information they have at hand to make the decision. I'll start another thread on a post about ethics in the industry and pricing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
76chevyman said:
Ok i dropd all my comercial lots and im doing residental.
My pricing
say the drive is $50.00 which is average

$50 3"-6"
6"-9"times 1.5 + 25
9"-12" times 2 +50
12''-over times 3 +50

total 175

Please any help would be much help. If i charged per push this pass storm it would of cost a lot more:cash
you'll know if your prices are too high, you'll be losing accounts and/or not sign any more up. just because 1 or 2 people maybe dropped/complained about pricing doesn't mean you have a problem. sell your service.

my avaerage drive is around 40-45 per pass with a similar pricing structure. interestingly, i find the "cheapest" clients are the one with the huge houses and big fancy cars!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I can't remember were I read this, but If you get all the accounts you are two low, if you don get any your to high, go somewere in between and you are fine. You have to decide were in the middle of that is good for you.

Everett

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got to move to the states.

For a small drive 2 passes we get 20, and 5 for the walkway. No sidewalks.

We cannot get any more, because everyone is charging the same. Its coming to the point that we cannot do residential anymore, because there is no money in it around here.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I can get anywhere from $30-$50 under 6", per push. The last storm most were done twice, some like only once when storm is done so the save a few bucks. I will try to get some pictures of some of my drives - some guys will laugh because the are worth $100+ in some parts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts