Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an beat up truck with a snow plow and watertank. (here is a previous threadhttp://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=765 . I have been researching add a leafs. My truck needs shocks anyway. So can I put airshocks on all four corners? This will get me a little lift to compensate for the extra weight.

This may not be the proper way...but when you crunch the numbers it will end up cheaper and easier to install vs. add a leaf and new shocks.

What do you guys think...?

I only haul water to town and back once every two weeks and will be doing very small amount of plowing in the winter.

What do you guys think?

Later

Hankinator

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Howdy Hankinator! Welcome to S-C! I replied to your topic at MCT, so I will let the other snow pro's reply here. I just wantedto say "Hi" and "Welcome".

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hi Hank- just wanted to let you know I replied under the truck thread- so I won't do a repeat here.

But I will Say welcome!! Glad you found us!

Bill:burnout

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think you should never use a shock as a spring.

I understand the economics involved but i have seen more than one broken shock mount... then where are you as far as $ spent?

I would just put in new shocks, then if you bottom out or need more spring go with new springs or add a leaf is cheap and easy but dont you have coils on the fr, I just paid under 100 for new coils.

Dean

·
Registered
610 Posts
go with the springs
john

·
Registered
302 Posts
I would definately go with the springs. I had an extra complete leaf added to my truck. It was about $300 for both sides (front) and it is great. As already stated, shocks won't effectively do the work of a spring. And won't last very long trying.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
go with the springs... when ya crunch the numbers its cheaper now but when thing start breaking because the shocks wernt ment for what your trying to achieve you'll find that although it would have been less expencive to do it right the first time...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where are you located? I currently have my springs in getting a leaf added. Each spring will run $65 for the front ones, I am not sure what the cost would be for rears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys...Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like good advise and makes sense too. I going to go with the add a leafs and some super el cheapo shocks (from somwhere?)

Later

Hankinator

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a picture of my extra leaf. The top two are original and the bottom one is the add a leaf.
It raises the front end of the truck and gives for a slightly stiffer ride, but not too stiff.
Total cost $155 for the extra leaf and a leaf removal for my mechanic who took the springs off for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
1" drop with the plow

After installing the additional leaf springs, the front of the truck drops only 1" when lifting my blizzard off the ground. Unfortunately I did not get a measurement before adding the leaf springs.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
I am going http://www.airliftcompany.com/ARLS.htm for the back of my Dodge 2500, my payload will be 5000# and still retain the ride. This system is also automatic ride leveling.

As the spreader empties it will auto. let air out.

This is not an air shock, but a system like in the big rigs with air ride suspension.

Yeah Becks truck squated real bad in front, now you can hardlt tell it drops at all.

Now only if someone could tell me if the 47/49 combo would fit my '04 Ram:confused: Without me having to buy them and find out they won't fit and I am out $250.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ok I have a question In the winter with an air system like big trucks with air brakes do you need to put some kind of additive to prevent freeze up.Just seams like more to go wrong in the winter verses something like timbrem.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Just did the spring build up on the F-450 rears. Added one to the main pack and one to the helpers on both sides all for $315.00 while I waited and watched. Also have the Timbrens front and rear too. Now the rear Timbrens sit about 2" from the axel empty as the spring start working and the boosters kick in I am sitting just fine. Up the load rating on the tires next season.

Not sure I want to depend on the air bag system just too many parts but the auto level is cool, maybe on the P/U I can see it but for the Dump, hauling is why I put over $50K into it.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Ron the systems have been time tested for the last 20 years or so.

Cadillac, Lincon, Rolls Royce, Bently, Crown Victoria, and a few others.

Why won't it work on a pick-up? or for that matter a heavy duty truck?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Cat320... do you have a dryer on your airbrakes? I'm new to the "big" truck scene and bought my frist truck with air brakes. All that I've heard about preventative maintenance and talked with the fellas, there has been no mention of an anti-freeze.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Lawn Lad I do not have any trucks that have an aie system but i have seen antiefreeze type of stuff for air brakes .I was woundering if it xould be used in that type of sytem with the airbags? it must get some type of condition in it.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
LGF,

Not saying it would not work just not sure I would go with it. I know about the Caddy level ride I owned one with it and it did work just fine for over 100,000 miles but I was not loading ton after ton worths of load either.

I have seen the air bags on tow trucks and other types of trucks just not sure the abuse we put plow/salt truck through will not take a toll on the air bags was all. I guess I have given in to the idea that I can have a P/U and expect a car quality ride. It is one or the other for me at this point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts