Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an beat up truck with a snow plow and watertank. I have been researching add a leafs. My truck needs shocks anyway. So can I put airshocks on all four corners? This will get me a little lift to compensate for the extra weight.

This may not be the proper way...but when you crunch the numbers it will end up cheaper and easier to install vs. add a leaf and new shocks.

What do you guys think...?

I only haul water to town and back once every two weeks and will be doing very small amount of plowing in the winter.

What do you guys think?

Later

Hankinator

·
Registered
866 Posts
Go with the extra leaf springs- they will last alot longer thatn the air shocks, and it will give you a chance to replace the u-bolts holding the whole sping assembly together on all four points. This will also allow a little closer inspection of the frame to make sure you don't have any serious rot- something that is a prevalent problem in Upstate NY due to the amount of salt and calcium they lay down on the roads. The leaf springs will also give you more support with less worries about leaks associated with the air shocks. Usually they don't have too many problems if done right- but this is a plow veihicle and will see the roads so corrosion will occur on the brass fittings used to plumb the air lines up. Nothing worse then heading out a t 2am to find your system is flat and won't hold air!

IMO I also think the springs will help with the handling better than the air shocks- I put an extra leaf in the front of my Blazer- when I lift my Fisher blade it only drops the front end about 1/2-3/4" and it handles like a dream- nothing like racing to a fire call with the blade on through some s-curves!!! LOL!

Hope this helps!

Bill:burnout

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice....Make good sense. I am going with the add-a- leafs and el cheapo shocks.

Thanks again.

Later

Hankinator

1 - 3 of 3 Posts