Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I found some old threads on this subject here in my internet search...but thought I'd open it up again, perhaps some one new ....has some idea's?

In my area someone has two Air Flo spreaders that fit 8ft truck bed. They are priced very cheap, conveyor, spinner and motors are in good working shape...

However...big hurdle....the trucks where sold with the controllers ....so there's no controllers for these spreaders.

I've found a site that showed what controllers went on these spreaders...but they are no longer being sold!!!

What a shame! Specially when the spreaders are still good enough for use!

There's got to be another way!? Nobody's selling a universal "kit" that would take care of this problem?

· Registered
25 Posts
You didn't mention is it was a gas unit, which I believe it is. The spinner and conveyer are operated by the 12 volt electric clutch which engages bite the conveyer and the spinner at the same time. That could easily be operated by a toggle switch from a 12 volt supply, as long as the ground wire is already attached to the clutch. The engine speed is controlled by a throttle control module, that uses 12 volt positive and negative to increase and reverse polarity to decrease engine speed. Pretty basic stuff, just like a power window in your truck or car. The engine should already have an electric start which can be engaged by a spring loaded toggle switch. The engine also should have a wire coming out of the stator to recharge the battery that should be next to the engine or mounted back of the spreader somewhere. If you are handy, it should be quite easy to power it up without spending a lot of money on a controller. A 7 wire truck cable is available anywhere that you can connect from in the cab to the spreader. Hope this helps you out some.

· Registered
25 Posts
He mentioned conveyor and spinner motors so it would be electric, not gas
Thats even easier to to set up. Just buy 2 relays to handle the amperage of the motors, and 2 solenoids. You can hook up a Reastat to each line to vary the speed of spinner and one to vary the speed of the conveyer. You can use toggle switches from an old Meyers plow which are inexpensive. If he wanted to run full speed on both he could just use toggle switches without a reastat going thru a relay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts