Snowplow Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
From what I read after taking the motor of there are only 2 bolts to take of the pump to pull the pump out. I don't think you have to get the pump out to get the filter off.but it would be a good idea to clean around the pump.i saw a 3min vid on you tube on cleaning the filter I will try to find it. punch in " filter clean in a Western snow plow pump "on you tube it was the first one that came up was about 3mins long

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
From what I read after taking the motor of there are only 2 bolts to take of the pump to pull the pump out. I don't think you have to get the pump out to get the filter off.but it would be a good idea to clean around the pump.i saw a 3min vid on you tube on cleaning the filter I will try to find it. punch in " filter clean in a Western snow plow pump "on you tube it was the first one that came up was about 3mins long
The reason I suggest changing that filter is because you don’t know the age of the filter....

·
Registered
651 Posts
^ Why does the age of the filter mater?
It’s just a strainer.

Clean it with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner and replace.

There’s really no need to remove the pump there’s nothing in there to get gummed up.

You can reach in and pull the filter out with two
Fingers,

As for the plug you could try using a chisel on the edge of it by a thread’s and see if you can get it to rotate or drill it out and use a easy out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
^ Why does the age of the filter mater?
It’s just a strainer.

Clean it with some non-chlorinated brake cleaner and replace.

There’s really no need to remove the pump there’s nothing in there to get gummed up.

You can reach in and pull the filter out with two
Fingers,

As for the plug you could try using a chisel on the edge of it by a thread’s and see if you can get it to rotate or drill it out and use a easy out.
The age is only a factor in the condition of the filter.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
False.
Age doesn’t play a role , condition would.

How would you determine the screens age?
Bingo given the age of the plow he doesn’t know what to expect for the filter? It could also be damaged. If I were the guy I would clean the original one at least but I say replace it.

In fact for $75.00 usd I would buy the Storks rebuild kit and rebuild the all the gaskets and o rings. Let’s face it the unit is pushing 25 years. That is a long time for any gasket or o-ring.

It’s also just a suggestion not an invitation to an argument.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Bingo given the age of the plow he doesn’t know what to expect for the filter? It could also be damaged. If I were the guy I would clean the original one at least but I say replace it.

In fact for $75.00 usd I would buy the Storks rebuild kit and rebuild the all the gaskets and o rings. Let’s face it the unit is pushing 25 years. That is a long time for any gasket or o-ring.

It’s also just a suggestion not an invitation to an argument.
Again age of the filter is moot.

After he cleans it he can inspect it for any damage
Then replace it.

Why replace good parts with good parts?

I have a lot of hydraulic stuff that is well over 25 years old and I don’t go digging threw them to just replace o-rings, do you?

with all of your equipment or engines that are over 25 years old dew you Tare them apart and replace the gaskets and O-rings?
I’m just asking for a friend.

I’m not arguing with you I’m just pointing things out to the other guy where you may not be as correct as you think you are
Or That your suggestions are make work at best.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Again age of the filter is moot.

After he cleans it he can inspect it for any damage
Then replace it.

Why replace good parts with good parts?

I have a lot of hydraulic stuff that is well over 25 years old and I don’t go digging threw them to just replace o-rings do you?
It depends on certain factors usage is critical. I have a feeling this pump sits 5-6 months out of the year...

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nice to see you’re still trying
the hydraulic fluid would keep the O-Zone, uv, and the other elements away from it, thus preserving the O-ring.

As opposed to sitting on a shelf.

Hydraulic fluids aor like a preservative for
o-rangs.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Actually o-rings are designed to last the lifetime of the pump or the motor they’re installed in.
At minimum O-Rings have a life span of at least 50 years +.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have another problem with my old cable plow now. I took the motor of changed the oil and cleaned the filter it was dirty. But now the blade will not stay up and sometimes when I angle it it goes up as well as angle I think I have enough oil in it it came out the overflow. The only connection I took of was the negative and I cleaned it before reinstalling it. After the first try I rechecked the oil level but when I took the overflow plug out the pressure blew the spring out.is there anything else in there that could have blown out.i was thinking I have air in it and if I do what is the best way to get it out? Thanks Tux

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have another problem with my old cable plow now. I took the motor of changed the oil and cleaned the filter it was dirty. But now the blade will not stay up and sometimes when I angle it it goes up as well as angle I think I have enough oil in it it came out the overflow. The only connection I took of was the negative and I cleaned it before reinstalling it. After the first try I rechecked the oil level but when I took the overflow plug out the pressure blew the spring out.is there anything else in there that could have blown out.i was thinking I have air in it and if I do what is the best way to get it out? Thanks Tux
Page 25 has the troubleshooting guide and your problem
http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13280_080193.pdf
That is the best I can do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
when I took the overflow plug out the pressure blew the spring out.

Can you show where you took the the plug out at?
Should not be any springs in that area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If you are looking at the truck from the front the overflow is at the top right hand side of the pump under the motor

21 - 40 of 70 Posts