Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thanks for the tips given in my first post.I have been looking to see if there are any numbers on the pump or blade to tell me the model and year. I did not see anything on line in the places I looked. I think I can rule out the year 2019 year made

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
First thanks for the tips given in my first post.I have been looking to see if there are any numbers on the pump or blade to tell me the model and year. I did not see anything on line in the places I looked. I think I can rule out the year 2019 year made
I think the 1970’s up to mid 1990’s the Western plows came with cable actuated valves... the manual I found for you was dated 1993...

·
Registered
169 Posts
You have what is called a conventional plow. Cables stopped being used in the early 1990s.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not my first had Myers before on other trucks then just used quads for years.but my driver's about 400ft and after the snow last year I picked up this rig at a good price.its old but I new the guy that had it and he used it as a hunting/fishing/plow so it was maintained

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
No not my first had Myers before on other trucks then just used quads for years.but my driver's about 400ft and after the snow last year I picked up this rig at a good price.its old but I new the guy that had it and he used it as a hunting/fishing/plow so it was maintained
Okay... I was just curious because this is old technology...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Sadly, Tuxy007 that one manual is all I could online for an Isarmatic Mark IIIa plow setup... that would be my guess as to what you have on your truck. Perhaps on EBay you can find other manuals once you get a serial number or model number.

So, how much snow do you get in your area?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I cannot remember how much we got last year.l do no that in some states they get a lot more than us and a lot at one time. I live in northern Ontario and our snow season is long. With the temp today we could get some snow but it would not stay. Also at my place I get blowing of the lake so sometimes it can really blow in

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I cannot remember how much we got last year.l do no that in some states they get a lot more than us and a lot at one time. I live in northern Ontario and our snow season is long. With the temp today we could get some snow but it would not stay. Also at my place I get blowing of the lake so sometimes it can really blow in
Okay, Canada I know your snow season is long. But I was asking because this is an old system so you might want to stockpiling some high wear parts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This would help .This unit does not have a lot of use on it I know it was only used on personal drives

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This would help .This unit does not have a lot of use on it I know it was only used on personal drives
I think you might want to get some spare bushings , cables and valves. Those would be the areas I think wear is most likely to occur. Not to mention that these parts probably aren’t going to be over the counter items.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Thanks forr the advise I will pick some up are u talking bushings on the Rams
I figure the cables must have a bushing that locks into valve so you can operate it. Also the directions in the manual say use cable sealant— what that is exactly I don’t know. But I would get some from a dealer too. Since you might need to replace or seal those cables as the season goes on.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
There ain't no bushings, where the cables go into your pump, there are O-rings on the cables. But put a little silicone around them to keep moisture out.
Nifty, they used o-rings to accomplish what I envisioned... so, you might want more o-rings and silicone.... thanks for the information.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another question with my old cable plow. If I remove the motor do I lose the oil in the pump area. Is it going to spill all over.i want to change the oil and clean the filter. Also the drain plug Allen key is stripped on the drain in the bottom of the unit this is why I want to remove the motor with out draining the unit. I am going to take the unit of to free up the drain plug.any tips on re moving the motor and draining the oil. Thanks Tux

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Another question with my old cable plow. If I remove the motor do I lose the oil in the pump area. Is it going to spill all over.i want to change the oil and clean the filter. Also the drain plug Allen key is stripped on the drain in the bottom of the unit this is why I want to remove the motor with out draining the unit. I am going to take the unit of to free up the drain plug.any tips on re moving the motor and draining the oil. Thanks Tux
From what I can see in the manual I linked you already it doesn’t seem that removing the motor would cause the oil to leak out...

But. I am not really sure.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts