Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if the aftermarket parts such as angle and lift cylinders from "Byers, ROP and others are just as good as Fisher. I know the school of thought is always OEM but Fisher has some hefty prices compared to aftermarket. I purchased an aftermarket plow harness and it works just as good as the Fisher OEM. Anyone have comments on this issue?

·
Registered
22 Posts
"Yes,no and maybe" lol. It really depends on your conditions and uses. Many contractors use "factory" parts because they depend on their equipment daily, a breakdown can cost lots of time, money and headaches. If you are "Harry Homeowner" , or a small contractor, where a breakdown is not critical, sometimes it is good common sense to use aftermarket parts. When I still plowed for money, replaced both swing cylinders, Meyer plow, 2"x 10", with aftermarket, because the Meyer price was so ridiculously high. BUT I had a spare used cylinder as a backup.
There does seem to be a collection of poorly made aftrmarket(china) main(pump) relays on the market, last several years, so a factory relay is recommended, or buy 2 and carry one in the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Yes,no and maybe" lol. It really depends on your conditions and uses. Many contractors use "factory" parts because they depend on their equipment daily, a breakdown can cost lots of time, money and headaches. If you are "Harry Homeowner" , or a small contractor, where a breakdown is not critical, sometimes it is good common sense to use aftermarket parts. When I still plowed for money, replaced both swing cylinders, Meyer plow, 2"x 10", with aftermarket, because the Meyer price was so ridiculously high. BUT I had a spare used cylinder as a backup.
There does seem to be a collection of poorly made aftrmarket(china) main(pump) relays on the market, last several years, so a factory relay is recommended, or buy 2 and carry one in the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You gave me the answer I was looking for as I am "Harry the homeowner" so I'm not putting a lot of stress on the plow parts. I don't know if Fisher parts are really any better especially for the price, but since I may be changing a cylinder anyway I am thinking of getting an aftermarket one and new hoses. I would suspect a hose to go before a cylinder; one is chaffed. Anyway, middle of a storm is not the time to break down even if it is just your driveway. An aftermarket part I suppose will at least finish the job and the season. Thanks. I very much appreciate your input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will be fine with the aftermarket Rams and hoses. The solenoid, I would stick with factory on that.
I'm not sure which model mm2 plow this is because I purchased it used and it has no identifying marks on it except a sticker with serial number. Still need to work on the frame. Anyway, On the Fisher listing there appears to be two different part numbers of rams for the 1-1/2" x 12" plow cylinder. One is 56603K (JIC) 19-1/4" retracted 31-1/4" extended length and the other is A3660 20117K (Pipe Thread) and that one shows 19-1/2" retracted 31-1/2" extended length. It appears there is a 1/4" difference in the length from one to the other but does that make any difference? Do you know if it matters as to which one is used? Thanks for all the help.
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface

Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Road surface

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Post a picture of a fitting if you don't know the difference. A fitting screwed into a cylinder.
Got it figure out. Sometimes it's the simple things that cause the brain freeze. One other question I have is what is the easiest way to replace an old cylinder with a new one on the Fisher plow? The new cylinders are retracted so if I am replacing the left cylinder just angle the old one all the way left? Seems logical but I know that logic doesn't always mean it's right. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did fluid and filter but noticed one hose chaffed. That same cylinder is pitted pretty bad so figured I might as well do that now before cold weather. Maybe I should do both at the same time?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts