Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 nice flat screen monitors from Dell. I want to add a second monitor so that i can work on a spreadsheet on one and a Word document on the other, switching data back and forth. I'm using XP pro home edition, and I have a spare video card.

Is it as simple as installing the second video card and monitor? Will XP automatically configure for 2 monitors?

·
Banned
3,450 Posts
I dont think so, wish it was that easy. To my knowledge, you have to have a specific video card for this. The good news is that they've come way down in price over the last couple years. I picked up a Geforce dual card about 6 months ago for my 22" HD flat pannel for $60. It's really nice, allows you to send applications to either monitor, switching between them is as easy as scrolling the mouse over, and one of the outputs is DVI which makes things really pop on the flat pannel. It also has an S-video output so you could do presentations or watch TV separately. Oh yeah, the install was super easy as well.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
well my cousin works for the town in the tax office and he had that 2 screen set up so he could do just what you want to do don't ask me what or how he set it up but it can be done

·
Registered
26 Posts
it may be as simple as adding the second card, depending on the computer and the card.

If you have 1 AGP and 1 PCI card (and slots on the computer) or 1 PCI Express and 1 PCI, you can put them in the same computer and XP will configure them to run with 2 monitors. If you have more specifics on the computer and Cards (what slots are available in the computer and what type of cards PCI, PCI Express, or AGP ) I may be able to give you more details (I was director of IT for a company for 8 years)

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18200
Buying tire chains - Snowplowing-Contractors.com - Let's Talk Snow.com Discussion Forums

All of our trucks are set up with multiple screens, if you go to response 13 of that thread, the picture on the right is our screens. The center 2 run off of the same computer, some of the trucks have a 3rd smaller screen up where the driver can see that also runs off the same computer. All we did was just get a pigtail that plugs into the back of the computer and splits off to 2 monitors. That's it. We normally run 2 or 3 different programs at the same time on all of those screens. The truck that I'm on right now, when we are testing we have 10 computers, 4 keyboards and 5 mice all up at the same time. We use a control box on the far left and right screens. Both of those screens run 4 computers each, the left one has a keyboard and a mouse, the right one has a keyboard and 2 mice, and we use our laptops to keep an excel document up too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Mike, here's what I have now. The second video card I have is from an older Dell that I'm not using anymore. The only thing I can see on the card is ATI RGPRO AGP.

INTEL(R) EXTREME GRAPHICS 2 REPORT

Report Date: 02/25/2008
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 11:50:37
Driver Version: 6.14.10.4299
Operating System: Windows XP* Home Edition, Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 9.0
Physical Memory: 509 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 1 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 96 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 7 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 2527 MHZ
Vendor ID: 8086
Device ID: 2572
Device Revision: 02

·
Registered
26 Posts
That means that you have on board graphics right now (it is part of the motherboard) and if you have an AGP port in the computer you should be able to put in the card and then hook a monitor up to it, windows should configure itself to use both monitors extending the desktop across both.

What brand and model is the computer?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Mike, Its a Dell Dimension 1100, and I just opened it up. Yes its an intergreted graphics. There is no graphics card installed. I only have 2 open PCI slots.

The new monitor I got has a standard blue 15 pin connector and also a DVI input:

Would I be better off getting a DVI-D video card to take advantage of the digital input of the monitor?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, I don't think I have an AGP slot. There are 3 PCI slots, if this picture is what I'm looking for:

(this isn't a picture of my computer, I just pasted it here as an example)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes that would be the AGP which is what the current card you have would need.

If you want to add a second monitor the computer you would need a PCI video card with that Mother board as it has 3 PCI and no PCIx or PCIx16 or AGP

1 - 13 of 13 Posts