Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought my 3rd truck for my business. I had to add it at the last moment due to the number of contracts. Due to budget constraints I had to get an older truck. Now I can post on the Ford forum. I don't know much about Fords. Here goes with my first batch of questions.

I bought a 1995 Ford F150XLT 4x4 regular cab 8 foot bed 5.0 auto.

I noticed it had duel shocks on the front. What does that mean?
Here are some numbers I got off the door sticker.
front gawr 3125
rear gawr 3776
axle h9 what does that mean?
trans u What does that mean?
springs l4l What does that mean?

I am hoping to put either a western or fisher 7.6 plow on it and a fisher 1000 hitch spreader. I am going to put tibrens on it. Is there anything I should look for on this truck to try and fix before before the snow flies.

Ray

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Ray you have one of each now chevy , ford and dodge.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also have one Meyer, One Western, and if the Fisher dealer gives me a good price, one Fisher. No one can say my business is not an equal opportunity company. lol

Ray

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ray ,
Like this site LOTS of answers.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Quad Shocks came in the Tow package/ handling Package (6)Includes front/ rear stablizer bars; hd front springs;hd shocks & quad front plus hd shock absorber(Regular cab 4X4.)"

Also a little foggy but the axle gear code with a letter means posi
rear ! Yes
H9 = 3.55 3800 lb FORD LIMITED SLIP

Trans U = 4R70W (4spd auto with overdrive)

Springs No Luck Looking

I haven't used timbrens on anything but ProSnow and others rate them well, and the front ends of the 150s are a little light.

I would go with the Western if possible also a lighter weight unit
than the Fisher .

Hope this helps
Bob

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I would go with the air bag that fits inside the front coils. They work very well on the 150's and will do what the timbren does and more

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BWAMX,
Thanks for all the info. I guess I did pretty good picking out this truck. I think I am leaning towards the Western that way I atleast have 2 plows that are the same and have plenty of interchangable parts.

Thanks again,
Ray

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey Ray, Congrats on the new truck. You are growing pretty fast:cash

·
Registered
866 Posts
Congrats on growing the business!!! Looks like things are looking good for you! hope your fortune continues long into the future!

Hey Joe- what are you doing in the Ford Forum? Aren't you a GMC man?;) Are you trying to keep that post count up? LOL-

:jk

Bill:grinz

·
Registered
445 Posts
Bill, thought you were a Chevy guy. I must have been lost:headwall ...lol:D

·
Registered
866 Posts
I was lost too- so I just followed your bread crumbs and they led me here!! LOL!! Just because I'm a Chevy guy doesn't mean I can't help out here! I've helped out a lot of my friends fixing their Fords - I usually have to help them get eheir parts since their truck is down!!! LOL!!!

J/K! I used to own a Ford- a pretty hyped up Ranger- you might say it was on steroids!!

302, with a c4 one step up torque converter and a shift kit with the tailshaft off of the previously existing c5. All bolted into an '84 Ford Ranger, had a custom dual exhaust, and then installed an 8' Western on the front of it! It stuck out almost 18" on either side of the truck! It moved alot of snow!!!!

Bill

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I would be carefull putting a plow on that truck.It has the TTB front end,which doesn't like to carry much weight.They end up cracking and\or breaking on the driver side axle beam.

Timbrens or airbags would be a big help.I prefer the Timbrens,as they never wear out,as the airbags sometimes leak.

Get a light plow,like a Snoway,as get as much weight as posssible off the front end.Relocating the battery(s) will help a lot.Mount the in the rear somewhere.Running some ballast will help pull weight off the front axle as well.A spreader and some material in the back works well for ballast.

You might want to look at adding a second battery,and maybe a bigger alternator,as those Ford's had pretty weak charging systems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wyldman,
Just the guy i'm looking for. I was already to take the truck to get inspected this morning and it wont start. It turns over real good. I can smell fuel. It acts like it has no fire. dist and rotor looked bad so ireplaced them. still not starting. It was real damp and foggy last nite and this morning. The truck ran good all weekend. not sure where to look now.

Ray

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If you smell fuel,then I would concentrate on spark first.

Pull the coil wire and check for spark there first.If you have good spark,it's probably the wires or plugs fouled.

If you have no spark,check for power at the coil.Key on you should have power on both sides.If you have power on one side only,the coil is bad (primary side).No power at all would mean you have a wire broken or fusible link burnt out.

Now crank the truck,and you should have pulsing power (test light should flash) on the negative side of the coil (green with yellow stripe I think).If your test light flashes,and you still have no spark,then the coil is bad (secondary side).If the test light just stays on,and doesn't flash,then the TFI module,pickup coil,or ECM is bad.I would doubt it to be the pickup coil or ECM,as if you smell fuel,then you would have an injector pulse,which means the pickup coil and ECM are OK.

Fords were bad for fusible links and splices rotting out on the drivers side,below the master cylinder area.Usually the large yellow wire that feeds a lot of the EEC related circuits and ignition.

One other thing to check,is to make sure the #7 and #8 spark plugs wires do not run beside one another.They will crossfire and burn a hole in the #8 piston from detonation.A lot of times you won't hear it.Take the #8 wire out of the wire clips,and run it straight back along the top of the intake,and then out over the back end of the rocker cover and down to the plug.This will prevent it from happening.Putting some of that black split loom around the wire will stop it from rubbing through on anything.

Also double check all the plastic vacuum lines running around the top of the engine.They were famous for cracking\breaking,or pulling out of the little molded rubber ends.

Check out that stuff first,and let me know how you make out.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
now get this i just tried the truck and it started. NOW WHAT? I know why i'm a chevy man now!!!!

Ray

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Check for codes,and see what comes up.You may find a code for erratic PIP signal,which would most likely be a TFI module.

Double check around the coil,for loose.corroded or broken wires(inside the insulation).You can start the truck and yank on the wiring harnesses to see if it stalls.Pull the grey connector off the coil and clean the female spades on the connector,and the corresponding males on the coil.Pack it with dielectric grease.

If you don't find anything,I'd change the wires,just to be sure.If they are going to cause problems,they usually do it in the middle of a storm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ray, My money is on the wires, Mine only last about 1 1/2 yrs max.
wyldman is THE walking text book.:D
When the wires on mine start to go it just starts harder.
Iv'e had a few TFI modules go and most of the time it was while it was running and would not start again.

Follow all his suggestions as it is all the little problems that crop up.

Don't worry go through it ,and maintain it and it will treat you well.

BTW How many miles on it?
I'm still on the original trans in my truck at 170 K

Good luck
Bob

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Hosing the salt off the engine and wires,and coating them with silcone spray will make them last must longer.

If it is the wires,get something better,like Accels,that have a lifetime warranty.I use them on our trucks,and just replace them ever year or two to be safe.I haven't paid for wires in years,all under warranty. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pay for wires? NO WAY lifetime warranty here Also!

The Fords just run too hot and bake the wires I feel.
BTW how many exauhast manifolds do you go through up there?

Mine cracked back in '94 and I put on nickle plated headers
since they were the same cost as new manifolds back then.
No more cracks!

Chris what do you see for engine life out of the 351's in your area? 110k-120k ?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
We see a lot of cracked exhaust manifolds on those trucks.The newer updated ones are better,but they still crack.

The 351 isn't bad,I've seen a few high mileage (over 300,000 KM),if you can afford the fuel to run them that long.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. After the truck started I took it to Moter Vehicle and got inspected. It passed with flying colors. I then went to my local Sears store and had an oil, lube and filter. I also had them check the brakes. The shoes were good but the drums were under spec and couldnt be turned so they were replaced. The front pads were just ok and the rotors were way under spec. So I got new rotors and pads for the front. The brakes feel real good. I could of gotten away with out replacing them now but I figured with a heavy plow and a spreader with material with different drivers it was in my best interest to take care of it now. This took all day so tomorrow I will go buy wires and plugs and check everything Chris listed. It is raining now and is supposed to all nite so I am curious if the truck will start in the morning. I first have to take my son to the doctor in the morning after I get out of work since he has been fighting a cold for a while. Then if it clears up outside I can start to work on the truck. I don't have a garage yet. Hopefully next summer. I noticed when I go to put the timbrems on it wont be as easy as my chevy. The old stops are rivited on.:(

Ray

1 - 20 of 45 Posts