Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today while salting the ABS light came on. After that the truck shifted alittle different than usual, kind of abrupt in the lower gears. I should say the truck I have is a '99 Ford F-250 Super Duty. All seemed fine until I noticed the ABS light on after seeing the warning the truck started acting as I described above. My thoughts are this is something electrical but I don't even know where to start. Can anyone help out.

Bob :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris, I gotta talk to Santa for the little kiddies of mine I promise to tell him to add a few extra surprises for you. Thanks soooo much what would we do without you.

Bob :D :D :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
I could be as simple as a wheel packing up tight with snow & ice causing the sensor to screw up. Let it thaw out & give us an update before you go tearing the truck apart.
Happened on my Chevy & a couple Fords I know.
Not sure if the sensor packed frozen would cause the computer to start shifting diffrently or not.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I should ask would this be an easy fix to just swap out sensors or would I be best to take to a dealer or mechanic to look at. Got Grass I pulled the rear tires and not packed with snow .

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I would have it checked first.It gets expensive quick throwing parts at it.

The rear sensor is in the diff,and reads off the ring gear exciter ring.It won't get packed with snow as it's inside the diff.You can check the connector on it and make sure it's clean and tight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Something similar to that happened to me, then I lost my brakes alltogether. The front driver rotor broke and the piston went into the cooling fans and I lost all the fluid. Not fun at all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
after plowing 8 or 10 hours the ABS light on the 02' F450 I use usually comes on. it has had no adverse effects on driving. Then when I shutdown and restart the truck, it is back to normal. It's happened several times last year and again this season.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have to agree with got grass. i have a 2001 f350 and the abs lights went on when i was plowing last week. when i cleaned off the brake lines and sensor wires and shut the truck off for 15 min the abs light when out and has not come on again. i think the packed snow messed up the sensor. it did not effect how the truck handled. good luck!

Attachments

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I often have my light come on in my '01 350 while plowing. I don't notice any change in braking or shifting though. Shutting the truck off for a few minutes resets the light. I think I've narrowed it down to becoming lit when the system has been activated after skidding on ice slightly, then it remains on until I shut down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To add some observations that I noticed Sat morning plowing the speedo was showing "0" untill around 30 mph then would kick in. As I said in my first post the truck shifts funny in the lower gears. This all started after I heard a slight screach when applying the brakes( same sound when the indicators start to rub) then the ABS light came on the same day. The truck runs at hiway speeds fine, no problems plowing does great and pushes fine . It will go to the shop Monday just want to know what it could be?

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
The ABS light happens to my '01 F-550 too. It began last winter and has returned this winter. Like others have said, I think the wheel gets full of snow which triggers the sensor. The light will stay on until you turn off the ignition, wait a while and then restart. It has never affected driving, stopping, turning, etc.

Stangely though, I have not had anything similar with the '00 F-250.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on the ABS light . Just like Chris said the speed senser was the culprit. Talked to a buddy of mine who happens to mechanic at one of the local Ford dealers and he concured with Chris, he also said I should be able to easly change out the senser myself. Well I picked up a senser $22 bucks not too bad on the wallet . When through the steps he told me to change it out a 20 min job and the ABS light is no longer lit . Back in business. Thanks to Chris and all those who offered advice.

Bob :grinz :burnout :zoom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.