Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there!
This might be a little bit random, but I just wanted to share this little story/project with you guys, because it might inspire people.
My name is Daniel and I run a little "snow removal company" during winter season here in Austria. I've been working with a UMO Plow (German Brand, pretty whack) for a couple of years now and it's certainly time for an upgrade. The plow is rather slow and the car in a terrible condition (Picture 1. Yes, we Europoors don't drive big trucks. :D).

I got my hands on an almost new (5500 miles total) automatic Suzuki Jimny for roughly $17,000 and it was also time for a new plow. Here comes the problem. Plows are damn expensive here in Austria, around $6,000 - $8,000. That's almost half the price of my new car (I even tried to buy one from the U.S, but the process was a pain). Since I am rather cheap and thoroughly dislike throwing away good equipment, I started looking for used plows. Lo and behold I found an used PFAU Plow (Germand Brand, NOT whack) that's running on a MEYER E-57 hydraulic motor. Price: $1,300. It's in a very good condition. The only missing parts are the solenoid and joystick + wiring.

I bought a generic 4 way joystick, wiring and a solenoid and wired it up myself. I also had to buy a "mounting kit" for $500.
It works perfectly and I am currently finalising the project, meaning I tidy up the cables and make sure everything has it's place. (See picture 2 and 3).
A total of roughly $1,600 for a snowplow here in Austria, that's a steal. So, my conclusion is basically that if you live in a country with high prices and high taxes, go down the "used" and "DIY" path.

Best regards,

Daniel

PS: Any tips on the maintenance for the E-57? How popular are MEYER products among you fine people?

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Nice job!

Plow brands tend to be regional. Meyer isn't particularly popular where I am but Meyer is a well established, well known brand with a long history

Changing the fluid to clean out any contaminants is the biggest thing for maintenance

1 - 2 of 2 Posts