Snowplow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brian,

If I can get my wording correct:
What differences in componentry/construction are there between the Fishstick and the standard joystick that allows the blade to drop incrementally as desired. If I want that feature, I was told only the Fishstick provides it. Otherwise, using the joystick, I have to bump the lever up to stop the descent at a desired height. I thought that feature was controlled in the SEHP and not the controller? All I can think of is the Fishstick must send a pulse to the SEHP to stop from going into the FLOAT mode? The joystick is simplistic and primarily constructed of micro-switches, steering diodes and a pilot l.e.d. so I thought perhaps a simple mod of the joystick controller would provide that feature... maybe not. Thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Roger Dodger,
Actually there are a few differences between the controls. The main difference between the controls as far as the down function is concerned is that the Joystick is what we consider the "economy" control. Basically we use what is called a latching relay. The relay receives 12volts and latches shut and will stay shut until you hit the raise buttom.The raise button breaks the 12volt path to the relay. The Fishstik uses micro-proccesors that only intermittanly complete the circiut unless you hold the down button for 2 seconds then is latches shut until the raise button is hit. Some of the other features is the 20min time out feature. All this does is shut the control off after 20 minutes in case somebody does forget the key on. Probally the biggest feature that most people do not realize is the soft stop feature. With the joystick control when you let go of the handle the motor and cartridges all stop at the same time. this can sometimes shake the truck. You will notice this the most whenever you are angling to the left as it requires two valves to angle left. With the soft stop feature on the fishstik the microprocceser software was designed to shut the motor relay off 1 second before the valves close so that the blade can kind of coast to a stop. I hope this answers most of what you wanted to know. I would have to set you up with our electrical engineer if you wanted to get indepth.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian, that summed it up well. I sort of fig'd the Fishstick was microprocessor controlled since that would be a requirement to pulse/delay/soft start things as a few simple semiconductors wouldn't necessarily be enough! If I simply purchase a Fishstick for my MM1 - SEHP, I will then have those additional features, correct? Got a ball park price on the Fishstick so I know what to expect?
And you're right about the truck slightly shaking from the simultaneous stopping of the motor & cartridges. Nothing bad but still makes me wonder about the stresses on things long term. The soft stop is a plus.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Brian - Can the soft stop feature be bypassed with the Fishstick ? I knew it had some sort of difference over the joystick,and we have had a few owners who dislike the feature.With the joystick,you can "shake" the blade by bumping the joystick,and drop any excess snow off the blade.With the soft stop feature,this is much more difficult.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wyldman,
Unfortuantly you cannot. Well you probally could but if you have seen those circuit board everything is pretty much all tied together. But you bring up a good point on being able to shake the snow off though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry roger i forgot to tell you that they list for $227.00. That is list and most dealers sell less than list. That e-bay price seems pretty good if their not hot

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Thanks for the quick response Brian.

Looks like I'll have to experiment with something.Maybe a separate momentary switch,to "shake" the blade.

We see a lot of plows with backdrag blades,and they tend to accumulate a lot of snow,especially when stacking.It would be nice to have that feature to get the snow off.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I have a Western, not a Fisher, but it works the same way. It rocks the truck when it comes to a stop, solenoid control also. I like "shaking" the plow though, for the one simple reason that Wyldman has stated above, it really does help. Everyone has their own preferences though. Mike :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts