Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goal was to hide all wires, drill absolutely no holes into the dash, provide safe access and ergonomics to knobs/switches, and easily restore to factory stock should I get rid of the truck someday. Here's what I came up with: remove the ashtray (since I don't smoke or allow smoking in the truck), cut a block of hard maple to fit the opening. Then mill grooves into the sides of the block to mimick those on the ashtray. Paint to match the dash color and press fit into place. Attach single anchoring screw from rear of dash into the wood. There is a small factory hole back there in the ashtray's pocket that allows a woodscrew to go through it into the rear of the wood block. I ran wires under the block and they are well out of view as you can see. Best part is both the radio and brake controller easily remove for servicing, if needed. The sticky-backed wire keepers keep the mic. cable from banging my knee. I hate that! Whatchya all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I too am looking for a way to hang the bracket for my Fishstick. I' m not interested in drilling holes in the dash and I dont think two sided tape would work for long

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wish truck mfgrs would start to consider providing methods for owners to effectively and aesthetically mount accessories and wire routing. They just haven't caught on yet about that. Instead, we get non-sense crap like a travel convenience computer.

Hey Bill W. try that Velcro II. It's the stuff that has both pieces as hooks and not the fuzzy fabric. They are stiff plastic hooks that really hold fast and firm. Fisher is using it on their controllers. The adhesive backing is very effecting too. Works best on smooth surfaces but even on therough finished RAM dash, it holds very well. I use it to further support the joystick type controller and it doesn't budge a bit. Can be peeled off without leaving a mark if done slowly.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Thanks, I will try it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts