Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the last post snow event check of all my equipmement I notice the blade on my two year old 8' Pro plow was alittle sloppy side to side and front to back.

When I notice the side to side play last season I had the center bolt and bushing replaced was told the A frame and Quad looked good no wear just the bushing worn. When I took it in for service this year had them check and retorque the center bolt again same story upon inspection.

So we have the 1st plow event of the season, about 6" of pretty heavy wet snow but easily plowed. Truck was out for about 14 hours, plowed for about 8-10 of those hours rest would be travel time.

So how can the A frame and Quad just get blown out in that amount of time without any warning??

When I made an inquiry about warranty seeing how the last two season have been pretty small snow falls and this just one plow this season Western rep told my dealer they have been seeing failures in the thrid season like this on most of the 8' Pro used for commercial plowing and this is to be consdier NORAML WEAR AND TEAR.

Is Western than saying that they feel replacing A frame and Quadrant should be normal maintanence in the third year?? $800.00 seem to be alittle much to have to spend after a plow has only seen two light seasons and one snow fall into the third. I would have expected the motor to go before the other TWO MAIN components.

After all what is left after a new A frame and Quad? Lets not forget about all the ear fill I was given about the Pro Plus and why Western changed the design or how LUCKY I should feel that I had a NEWER Pro plow. My response was, "Fine than give me a reasonable credit for wear and tear toward the purchase of a new PRO PLUS and I would gladly pay the cash difference".

I will say that PRO PLUS look 100 times better and stronger than the Pro design. I guess I should be happy I waited until 03 to buy a MVP Ultra. After looking at the old design I can not see how they would have held togather either. The full tube is much stronger that the angle iron and flat stock holding the Pro togather.

Well I sit here waiting for the call to hear what they find when they get the plow apart and Blizzard is looking better by the day. If the choice is between PRO PLUS and wings or a Blizzard 810, I think Blizzard to where my money is going.

·
Registered
609 Posts
angelos has the a-frame for $256.81 and the quadrant for $263.96 buy both and shipping shoud be $50-$75 so for $600 you have the parts and it would take about 3-4 hours to replace both with normal hand tools

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nate,

Thanks for the information but for $200.00 I would rather let them fix it and own anything that breaks along the way.

But even at $600.00 and half a day work with the amount of service time behind this plow I feel it is a premature failure of the part involved. Would you expect the chasis on the truck to come apart before the tires need to be replaced???

Just where I am coming from and I am most likely being unreasonable with my expectation of the product.

BTW, nice work on Jay's page.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It's probably just worn the nose off the a-frame.It's easily repairable,just weld on a new nose piece,and beef it up a little.Any good welder or fab shop should be able to repair.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just heard back on the plow and it was just the A frame bull nose that was blow out. They said it egged and than split. I am lucky I noticed it or it would have been looking like a Myers with the moldboard hanging off. Quadrant was fine. So that in mind after two years of plowing not so bad I guess. Worth the $300.00 or so.

·
Registered
333 Posts
i run a standard series 7.6 blade.once i get the spare cash im going to convert the quad over to the new pro blade quad which holds 4 springs rather than 2 and has the bushing which mine doesn't have.

western needs to get on the ball.i keep hearing more and more about how there backing away from fixing things.

i know a meyers rep told me once "we are in the parts biz not the plow biz" i hope western isn't becoming that.

my next plow is going to be a blizzard just because i feel its going to save lots of time.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Same here for the Blizzard.

Even if I never run the wings just having a heavier built str8 blade will help.

I asked why they could not just cut out the bull nose and replace it with something beefed up. They said it was cheaper to replace the A frame. Do welders make that much per hour? I think they just want to sell parts and get their count up to get better rates from Western.

But anyway, Next season I hope to be sporting two 810's.

·
Registered
333 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
Same here for the Blizzard.

Even if I never run the wings just having a heavier built str8 blade will help.

I asked why they could not just cut out the bull nose and replace it with something beefed up. They said it was cheaper to replace the A frame. Do welders make that much per hour? I think they just want to sell parts and get their count up to get better rates from Western.

But anyway, Next season I hope to be sporting two 810's.
well i need a leaf vac pipe welded up this year.4 beeds maybe 6 inches long each.came to 80 bucks:headwall

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd like to here from Fred Pickering on his exp with The western's
as he has a fleet.

To see what his failure rate is.

I'm on my 3rd A frame in 13 yrs 2nd Quad.
The last A frame was egged and split, didn't know it either, was
going over every thing and it seemed pretty loose , SO I tore it
all down , Like yours wow that was close!

Ron are you plowing with the V box loaded?
Are you catching curbs or plies along the outter edge of the plow?
I feel this puts alot of force on the center pivot bolt as the plow wants to go back, and pull forward from the bolt.

I was also told a LOT of back draging puts all the stress on the bolt ONLY .

The new PRO PLUS is night and day compared to the old setup.
Thats what I'll be running next yr on the new truck.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, plowing with the V box loaded but only for the first few accounts they all get salt so the load gets lighter as you go. The key here I think is I put a driver in this truck this season. When I was checking some of he work I found the he was PACKING snow against the crubs and not pushing over the curbs. Put a loaded truck behind that focre and I am sure that will cause some wear and tear. I too was told about the backdraging but we do all commercial and there is not all that much back dragging going on.

I had the the talk with the driver about taking it easy and I would rather the job took 10 more mins. here and there rahter than having equipment damaged. He had also backed into a large bush and bent the rear flap and chute on the new spreader. That was easy to repair but that too was talked about.

I guess if that is all that happens I will be thankful, I know guys can really tear up some trucks. I pay my driver VERY VERY well and he knows it. He was very concerned that there was damage and even offered to pay some of the repair bill. So what that in mind I will just see if he changes the way he is doing things.

I think I will be going with Blizzard 810 plows next year. As everyone has been saying they look over built more than how under built the Westerns are now. If I have to change up to a PRO PLUS my feeling it that should be the basic commercial plow and the Pro series should just be taking out of serivce. Why put out a product that is going to have hig failure rates. We all know that abuse this plows take once the snow really starts falling. I do think PRO PLUS is a huge improvement but I think the power wings on the Blizzard will make a big difference and for less than the PRO PLUS with out the wings.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I have used a fleet of Westerns for years,and the a-frames were a problem.Both backdragging and plowing hard angled put a lot of stress on the nose of the a-frame.Poor design IMO.

I hope you got the old one back.Just beef it up a little,or weld a couple of large flat washers on the end for a quick fix.Then you have a spare to swap,instead of going to the dealer for another a-frame.

I also use just cheap hardware store grade 5 bolts.They do wear,and they do bend,but they take the wear and stress off the nose of the a-frame.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The Western a-frame set up has been used on the Pro Plows like this for years with very little changes.
The quadrant has had a few changes over the years but really only with where and how the top nut was located.
This has been a fairly workable way of mounting everything together, although there is always room for some improvement.
Your asked about welding verses replacement, alot of the plow sales and repair shops do not employ welders or personal capable for doing this kind of repair.
Plus they could have you in and out the door alot faster doing the replacement.
Worn or bent "black iron" is not covered by the Western warranty with exception of weld breakage.
This is the same for Boss and Meyer too.
From what you have discribed I think I would have welded up the hole on the snout and resize it for you replaced the pivot bolt;tube and nut and sent you on your way.

:rolleyes: John.................

·
Registered
333 Posts
Garagekeeper said:
The Western a-frame set up has been used on the Pro Plows like this for years with very little changes.
The quadrant has had a few changes over the years but really only with where and how the top nut was located.
This has been a fairly workable way of mounting everything together, although there is always room for some improvement.
Your asked about welding verses replacement, alot of the plow sales and repair shops do not employ welders or personal capable for doing this kind of repair.
Plus they could have you in and out the door alot faster doing the replacement.
Worn or bent "black iron" is not covered by the Western warranty with exception of weld breakage.
This is the same for Boss and Meyer too.
From what you have discribed I think I would have welded up the hole on the snout and resize it for you replaced the pivot bolt;tube and nut and sent you on your way.

:rolleyes: John.................

no tube on mine just a washer,bolt and a lock nut.

funny i checked it out today and the bolt is tight,but she still moves side to side :(

·
Registered
832 Posts
Mike the earlier Pro Plow quadrants had the nut welded on the little tab inside the quad.
The later ones used a bolt; nut and tube that went down and contacted the tab retaining the a-frame to the quadrant when you bolted everything together.
Now if you have a standard Western plow all you will have is a nut and bolt holding everything together.
:rolleyes: John................

·
Registered
333 Posts
Garagekeeper said:
Mike the earlier Pro Plow quadrants had the nut welded on the little tab inside the quad.
The later ones used a bolt; nut and tube that went down and contacted the tab retaining the a-frame to the quadrant when you bolted everything together.
Now if you have a standard Western plow all you will have is a nut and bolt holding everything together.
:rolleyes: John................

not to screw you guys up but the plow itself is a standard blade.the quad A frame is for a pro plow.the quad has spots for the shock and 4 springs.i know strange but in 2002 thats how they were selling them with the ultra mount

1 - 18 of 18 Posts