Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got about 1.5" here in the quad cities (guys in the northeast are probably laughing). I could only take a few pics because most of the plowing was done in the dark.

In the pics you will probably notice that the truck headlights (not plow headlights) are on and I have no running lamps. Well, when I went to hook the plow up, a fuse blew. So, I replace it and turn on the lights again. Fuse blows again. So, I try unhooking the plow connections, and put in another fuse. Blows again. So, I have to plow with the normal truck headlights and have no running lamps or instrument panel backlight. But atleast the plow still worked.

Once all of my accounts were plowed I went and bought some more fuses and tried it again. It works now. Not sure what caused it, moisture somewhere? Anyone know?

Well, here are the pics. I thought this one was kinda cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more. My prowings work great. Never will go without them again.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice pics:burnout Its the 1.5"-2" snows that I like to plow the best...nice and easy on the truck, yet enough snow on the ground to make some money:cash

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ryan,

Don't your plow lights work?

Also, noticed your backup lights UNDER your rear bumper. I had mine under the bumper, but mine were tucked next to the reciever brackets (protected even more than yours) The first deep snow, both were bent and broken. Mine are now ABOVE the bumper right under the tail lights. Tailgate still works fine.

Here's a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ryan didnt your truck used to have a ezdumper on it? Nice pics:D

·
Registered
415 Posts
Trucks looking good as usual OryanO :shades I was also wondering why you didnt have the plow lights on?
Eric

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You guys need to read and not just look at the pictures. :D He explained why his plow lights arent on in the very first post. Go back and read it. ;) Mike :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like the pretty pictures....;) My bad did NOT read that part of the post I ussually skim and look for pics. :rolleyes:
Eric

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
0ryan0 said:
In the pics you will probably notice that the truck headlights (not plow headlights) are on and I have no running lamps. Well, when I went to hook the plow up, a fuse blew. So, I replace it and turn on the lights again. Fuse blows again. So, I try unhooking the plow connections, and put in another fuse. Blows again. So, I have to plow with the normal truck headlights and have no running lamps or instrument panel backlight. But atleast the plow still worked.

Once all of my accounts were plowed I went and bought some more fuses and tried it again. It works now. Not sure what caused it, moisture somewhere? Anyone know?
He said there was a short or something. I think it could be a bad splice connection Ryan, they seem to corrode and fail fairly frequently, at least on the older style plows, when not weather-sealed.

Anyways- Nice looking truck, I think you have one of the nicest 88-98 bodystyle trucks around, especially since its a work truck! That first picture, while sindrowing, is definately awesome! I bought some reflective tape and am going to put some on my wings this afternoon!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys

TLS - I know it wasn't a very smart place to mount them. Couldn't mount them closer the the hitch because I have pipes coming out there. I guess on top of the bumper is a good place to put them. They will stay there until I break em off, which probably won't be long. But, so far so good. They do help out a lot.

philly - yes it had an ezdumper and it still does, I just took it out for a few months. It doesn't see much use in the winter. Not hard to take out either, especially if you have somewhere to put it. Now I have increased visibility and maybe make the thing last a few more years by keeping it away from the salt. It's starting to rust somewhat bad.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ryan, I think your truck is one of the best looking older body style that I have seen. It looks awesome plowing the snow. The pictures of your truck headlights ON with the plow mounted seems to give a bit of creep feeling because it make the truck look meaner! :D

I also like the reflective stickers idea. Can't hurt to be safer. :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
oryanO,

I think I recognize your truck from around town. Is that apartment building in the second picture the ones on 18 Ave A in Moline? I think they are called loganwood?

That 1.5-2" of snow was nice. Especially since we just plowed Saturday night too. 2 times in less in a week in December???? Last year our first one wasn't till the end of January, remember?

Good luck this year.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snoboy - nope, it's an apartment complex in Rock Island by Pepsi.

Last year was bad. I only remember plowing 3 times, and I had to wait til the end of Jan. So far, this year has been pretty good. I hope it continues through the end of the season.

Good luck to you too

·
Registered
333 Posts
0ryan0

noticed alittle flopping on your western

you know the new westerns hold 4 trip springs and its an easy swap.just install the new style quadrant if your plows 82 and up it should work fine.i noticed she was flopped over alittle with your wings.i know the pro plow i got last year used to be flopped over all the time. before this past storm i added 2 springs works awsome now scrapes better too. cost just under 300 for the quadrant 2 springs and some bolts

·
Site Founder
5,721 Posts
When you guys add the reflective tape, make sure to put a couple of pieces on the back side of the moldboard on the ends. It helps when you truck is parked, and someone is coming up behind it. Especially when you have an 8' blade or larger.

I also put it on the ends of the moldbaord on the angle iron. I also add a piece to the center of the push beam. Makes the truck more visible when the plow is off.

~Chuck

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Chuck, that is a good idea. I assume it would need to be red? I'll get some today and put it on after I wash everything and put it away.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mikegamb - I don't really know what you mean. What is flopping? If you mean the plow is tripping forward from the load because of weak springs, I don't really think it is. It seems to trip fine when I want it to. I already have 3 on there, did yours only have 2, or does it now have 5?

Chuck - good point. I have some on the back of my wings also:

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
mine came with 2 springs and one shock.i now have 4 springs with the shock by replacing the quad.the new pro plows hold 4 springs and one shock.the pro plus holds 6 springs and 2 shocks i think.

yes tripping flopping its all in the same.just thought in case you wanted to add springs theres a easy way to do it

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Mike, not to argue, :argue, but his plow isnt tripping at all in either picture. You know how I know?? Go back and look at the pictures more closely. Look at the Western blade guides in each picture. They are sticking up perfectly straight in both pictures. If the plow was flopping over, these would be angled frontwards or downwards, somewhere other than pefectly straight up. ;) Mike :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts