Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the brakes on my 2500 Suburban last year. After I was finished, I took the truck for a drive and found that the ABS would act up when coming to a slow stop. Basically the pedal will pump up and down by itself with no slippery condition, while stopping very slow!

I took the ABS/Security fuse out, because I could not deal with it at the time. Well now I am ready to attack the problem. Any idea's as to what the problem could be. I was thinking that when I took the ABS sensor out, while doing the front brakes, I got some dirt in the sensor.

Thought I would ask the experts!

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Look on the ABS modual on the driver side fender. I think its there for that year.
There will be Two brass fitting on the housing this is what cuts the flow of hydro fluid to the brakes when it senses a leak of malfuction. a little round brass tab will be sticking out. just push it in. It will take some force but try not to scracth up the brass. If it goes in then comes back out and u try numerce times. Bad news. U need a new moduel. u can just replace that one part. You have to buy the whole unit and its like $400. I had this happen to me on a 1996 I worked on. And it did the same thing as you. Or your rotors could be worped that would give you the same feeling. Of your brake fluid is dirty and thick. Ive seen that on a lot of chevy in the mid to late 90s. Hope this helps Are you talking about the front wheel speed senser? As long as there is no damage there souldnt be a problem Those sensers are out in the open to begin with.

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this the brass tab you are talking about?

If it is they are both set flush within their circular ring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Those are it and if they are flush thats good. Does the ABS light come on when the system is active??? If so the dealer can hook it up the the computer and tell you. But i would say worped rotors but if it stops when you deactivate the system then i would say thats not it

Rich:burnout

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Whoa !

Don't go messing with that,it not neccessary.

Your problem is most likely just rust buildup under the front ABS sensors,very common,I see it all the time.

If you have a scanner,you will be able to see it.Under slow stops,the front ABS sensors will read a few MPH slow,and the output voltage will be weak.

What happens is rust builds up under the ABS sensors,and lifts them away from the tone ring inside the hub.They still work,but the output is low,and you will get erratic ABS application as you come to a stop,even on dry pavement.

Pull the rotors,and unbolt the hubs and splash sheilds enough to get at the sensors.Take them out,and use a small file to remove the rust where they mount.Grease the mounting surface and the sensor,and re-install everything.Problem solved.

I sell this service on most GM trucks every few years to prevent this exact problem.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris

Thanks for the imput, I will tear into the hubs as soon as the temps warm up a bit.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bad ABS

snow works whats up i have the same problem on my 1999 2500 pickup i had this problem for about a year now it seems like when im about to come to a complete stop the abs kicks in & it happens all the time, i took it to the dealer ship & they told me its no big deal theres nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
weasel - get the rust cleaned out from under the front ABS sensors like I described above,it will most likely solve your problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts