Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need your guys/gals help.
My sister has a 95 Chevy Blazer 4x4 and her heat is acting up.
First let me tell you what I see.
Thermostat was bad, and I replaced it.
Resistors were ok, but replaced anyways.
She has heat for the first 15-30 minutes after engine warms, then blower quits (can hear blower a little, but no air flow).
Happens everytime, and after that 15-30 minutes, she has absolutely no heat, and her heater controls won't work either.
My first thought would be the blower motor, but would that affect the heater controls?
I imagine that it would, as if the blower was faulty, then the controls wouldn't operate correctly, correct?

Either way, she's freezing out there while driving (drives over an hour to work). Does this sound like the blower motor to you?
If not, what other things might cause this sort of behavior?
I can think of nothing else besides the blower motor, and don't want to waste any money on something that might not need replacing, and she can't afford to take it to the shop to get it tested!

*sigh*

Ideas?

David

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
OK This might be what I have experienced with my 93 Full size. The arms that physically control the switching from heat to defrost etc can fall off of where they belong. I had a parts diagram at one point & if I can find it I'll post it, because this isn't easy to describe, as you'll see LOL. Anyway, if this is what her truck is doing, the heat is blowing out, but the deflector that sends it up or down is caught in the middle, so the air is not getting to the heat vents.

If you pull the dash cover off the radio area, and pull the ash tray area you will be able to get to this stuff. There are a couple of arms that retract in & out & have bends in them up on the left side behind the radio & heater control area. One of them is probably just hanging there & not connected where it belongs. I believe there are 2 of these set ups, so hopefully you can see kinda how the other one is set up to figure out how to put the broken one back correctly. Each end has a hole sorta thing that connects to a pin sorta thing on the side of the box there. Once this is attached correctly again, the deflector will slide again, and it should push hot air out where its supposed to. You may have to replace the arm if its broken, or if it came apart & a spring or other section may be missing. If so the dealer can get them, and I think I paid around 12 bucks or so. Good luck & if I find that drawing I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I agree with were your comeing from BRL, but it sounds more like electrical then those control lines your talking about. I myself had them break. But he says it does work for about 15 minutes then quites. Seems to me like something is heating up and shuting it self down. You know it could be the whole control unit in the dash. That houses the knobs. fan, hot/cold, ect. That is the main part of the electrics for the heating. I myself have never seen them do but have herd of them going. So i wont tell you to go replace it because im not sure. Im just trying to give some ideas. I wouldnt rule out the blower either. I will look up a few things see if i find anything

Rich :burnout

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the problem is solved.
I told her to take it to a mechanic, because I didn't want to "fix" anything that wasn't broke.
Mechanic said it was a vacuum (one of four) that runs into the transmission. (?)
Those 4 vacuum lines hook into some switch that is mounted in the transmission, and one of them was torn, and had to be replaced.
They replaced the vacuum line, and viola! She now has heat that will run her out of the car :)

I'd of never guessed to look anywhere near the transmission, but apparantely that vehicle is a little different than anything that I've ever seen.

I called a friend of mine, and he verified what the mechanic said.

Either way, problem solved.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

David

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Just goes to show the old rule- When in doubt, check the tranny!
:confused: :rolleyes: :eek:

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear it got fixed.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I wouldnt of thought of that either a tranny involved in operation the heater thats different. Glad its fixed

Rich:burnout

1 - 7 of 7 Posts