Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jimmy just started leaking fuel today, or at least thats when I noticed it! It is leaking about a quart a day from the bottom of the tank. It is rusted and leaking throughout the entire bottom of the tank. Realy strange.

Anyone no of a good aftermarket gas tank manufacturer?

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
We use Spectre Premium.They make good tanks.

Be careful what you buy,there is a lot of junk out there,and it doesn't last long,or fit very well.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris, do you have a phone # or a website address? I tried searching but had no luck.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'm sorry,I misspelled the name.It is Spectra Premium.

Website is www.spectrapremium.com

For tech support or a list of local suppliers call 1-800-363-8533.

Part number for your truck is a GM18B,and the straps are ST07.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any tricks I should no about before I switch out the old tank, for a new one.

Chuck B.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yea- Make sure the tank is empty!

Spray the strap bolts with some penetrating oil, let them soak a little, depending on how rusty they are. The rest, for me, was just a matter of taking your time and making sure you don't forget to disconnect something.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
You will probably find the fuel line fittings siezed,and they will not come off without destroying them.Before you break them,and wreck the expensive sending unit,cut the steel lines up between the tank and the frame rail,with a small tubing cutter.Then when you get it out,you can trim off the lines at the sending unit assy,and replace them with rubber line rated for fuel injection (SAE spec 30R9)

·
Registered
832 Posts
I handle the MTS Poly tanks.
They build one of the best poly replacement fuel tanks around.
Let me know if you need one.
:rolleyes: John................

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I replaced the tank, but now the truck will not start!
When I turn the car over, no gas is being pumped to the motor. I took the fuel filter of the truck and turned the key on, and no fuel came out.

I plugged the sending unit back in, and also reconnected the ground to the sending unit.

Am I missing something? Why wont the fuel pump kick on, when the switch is turned on?

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I'd first verify you have good power at the tank,when the key is fist cycled,or during cranking.If you do,then double check you ground.If it's OK,then the pump is bad.

If you don't have power coming back to the tank,then it may be the fuel pump relay.

and.....there is enough gas in it ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I just put anouther 5 gals in the tank to be sure it had enough gas. Now there is approx. 10 gallons in the tank, which should be more than enough.

As far as the relay being bad, why would a relay go bad during a gas tank replacement. - if it did, talk about bad luck

Chuck B.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Maybe the relay was bad before,but you didn't know...here's why.

Most GM fuel injected vehicles have a fuel pump relay,which supplies power to the pump.They also have a backup oil pressure switch which also supplies power to the pump when oil pressure is sensed,in case the fuel pump relay fails.Sometimes you won't even notice it when the relay fails,it will just crank a little longer sometimes.

Now that you've had the tank out all the lines are dry.It has also sat for a bit,so it needs a lot of cranking to build oil pressure to turn on the pump,and then the pump needs to run a long time to fill the lines,and purge all the air out of the system.So maybe you haven't cranked it long enough.

Not saying this is your problem,but it is a possibility.

You need to check at the tank for power when you cycle the key,and double check the ground.This will tell you if it's a bad pump,or something else electrical.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update:

When key is first turned on I have power to one wire for about 3 seconds. - I believe this should be the wire powering up the pump. The other wire has constant power when the key is turned on. - This is for the sending unit.

As for the ground wire to the pump, that checked out ok, too.

So it looks like the pump is bad! Go figure.

Chuck B.:( :mad:

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Sure does sound like the pump took a dump.You seem to have the power there at the tank,so the only other possibilities are the pump or a bad ground.I'd double check that ground again,just to be sure.The frame rails get pretty rusty,as well as the screw,so make sure they are spotless.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I got the truck up and running today.

It was a bad connection, inside the tank of course. So I changed the pump anyway just for kicks.

Thanks for all the help!

Chuck B.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts