Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 93 f-250 4 x 4 351 reg cab i went and had tires but on it and ever since then when i go over a bump i hear a clunking/grinding noise. I hit the brakes and it goes away. if i park the truck and come back its gone intill i hit a bump and then its back i hit the brakes gone. it doesnt do it in reverse and it gets louder and worse when i turn right. im thinking a bad hub or a cracked brake pad?? It has me stumped

·
Registered
610 Posts
sounds to me like your brakes are making the noise
have them checked if their close replace them
john

·
LetsTalkSnow.com - Moderator
4,902 Posts
I had a clunk I thought was in the front end of my '81 F-350 that drove me nuts for a year and a half. I couldn't find any suspension or brake component that was bad. I finally discovered that one side of the radiator housing mount had rotted away and it was clunking in a manner you describe. Might be something to check.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Disk brakes front? Check pads & see if they put anti-rattle clips back on pads!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It could be the pads,so get the brakes checked,just to make sure.

I have also seen a few trucks with a very similar noise,that the caliper retaining pins\slides disintegrated and fell out.They are just two pieces of steel with rubber glued in between.They fall apart after a while.The grinding noise could be the caliper rubbing on the inside of the rim.

You can check it without pulling the wheels.Crank the steering hard to one side,and lock it by removing the key.You can now stick your head under the cab at the back of the wheel,and look for the retaining pins.There are two,one at each end,between the knuckle and the caliper.They are diamond shaped.You should be able to see if one,or both are missing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts