Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspecting one of our trucks today and noticed the front axle u joints (one on each side near the tires)are very loose and look like about to break.Is this an expensive fix? I know the u joints them self are pretty cheap.Would it be something the average guy can fix or better off to take it to the shop?It looks pretty easy to do.Also about how much would a shop charge to do this?

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It is a fairly big job,and expect a lot of siezed parts.You need to remove the hub,calipers,rotors,and the spindle to get the axle shafts out.The spindles will most likely be siezed tight inside the knuckles.The pass side slip yoke will probably be siezed,or very hard to get apart as well.

Unless you have the tools and the patience,you would be better off taking it to a shop.I charge anywhere from 5-10 hrs labour plus parts to do the job depending on what all is siezed,and what it takes to get it apart.

Take a look at the pass side inner joint too,as it may be gone as well.It needs to be done in the truck,unless you want to drop the diff.

Use only OEM spicer sealed u-joints,they are the best.They are slightly more expensive,but they will last,and no worries about greasing them.

If anything else needs to be done in the front end,now is the time to do it as it will be all apart.Ball joints are easy with the shafts out,so if they need doing,get them done now.Brake splash shields may also need replacing,as the usually fall apart when you remove them.Check the little spindle bearings and seals too,as they tend to dry out and disintegrate.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch not what i wanted to hear.It looked rather simple to change them i guess not.Its gonna be hard to find a shop that will fit in with the holidays so soon too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It is kind of a pain. I did mine last year and ended up cutting the passenger side axle shaft out, could't get it free, tried heat, bangin....everything. Just replaced the shaft. If I can afford to have someone else do it next time it needs service, I will probably let the shop do it. I also won't let it get that far bad again. Those parts need lots of grease on that terrible designed front end. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like the salt/ weather just got to the end of the u joint thats in the open and it started to wear it out.One side seems pretty tight the other is loose.Everything looks fine to my eyes but im no mechanic. Kinda sucks cause the truck is getting replaced this summer i didnt want to put a lot of money in it.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If you really have to get it done,and want to try it yourself,let me know.I'll help guide you through it,and make it a little easier.

Either way,I wouldn't let it go too long,or it will break,and take out the axle shafts,and then it gets real expensive.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot. Im gonna talk to some people (hopefully tomarrow) i know who work on trucks on the side and have them take a look at it and take it from there.The holidays make it kinda tough plus they say maybe snow around the 1st to the 4th and i would need this truck on the road.

·
Registered
217 Posts
jt5019

For your info I have a complete 89 F250 front axle here at my shop. It's a dana 50 from a F250HD 4:10 ratio . complete spare.

I took it out of mine when I installed the Dana 60 monobeam.

I've done the ujoints on this and others It can be a pain.
Everything wyldman says is true, do it now and there will be no problems.

Less headaches if you can have it done.

If you plan on doing it yourself give me a yell, maybe I can help if you run into a problem.

Bob

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Talked to my buddy the mechanic today hes not gonna touch it :( said last time he did a job like that it took all day just doesnt have the time right now.Looks like im gonna have to hold off till after the holidays and take it from there.Just gotta hope it doesnt break :headwall

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took a better look at the truck today.Thee driver side axle u joint seems to be much worse i can shake it by hand.The passanger side seems pretty tight.Everyone is suggesting i get new locking hubs while everthing is apart too, one side does seems like its on its way out.I was told to go with warn hubs but doesnt really matter since the truck should be getting junked in the summer.Should i go with the warn or just get some stock ones?If you know a good site where i can order them that would be a great help too.

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
If your going to junk the truck in the summer,then just limp it through.

If you do have to replace the u-joint,don't bother throwing a new set of hubs on it.Get a used one from a wrecker,or just rig jig the one that is going bad to get it through the winter until you scrap the truck or sell it for parts.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got litttle update on the truck: Since its only about 15 degrees out i opted to send it to the garage.:eek: Just got a call from the mechanic saying both u- joints were pretty much shot and the ball joints while worn they wernt shot yet.He stated its smarter just to do the ball joints now and save the additional labor costs of bringing the truck back in,in a month or so. He est total cost with labor at about 675.00 bucks little more then what i wanted to spend but atleast it will be taken care of before it snows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts