Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well in a storm where everything that could go wrong pretty much did :headwall The really bright spot as far equipment goes was the 8611. This thing pushes more snow than I thought was possible :D The wings in the scoop position are able to carry so much snow it got kinda scary! The blade scrapes as well as any of the plows you can mount to this size truck (maybe the best) and is super efficient. The only real problems are the lights, they loosened and almost fell off but I think that might be an installers problem. The battery drain is also a bit much (at least after 50 hours of plowing) so a bigger alt might be needed at some point. Its still early so as far reliability goes that will be determined in the future but so far its been the best plow purchase I've ever made.

Sorry no photos, too busy this weekend plowing! plowing! plowing! and more plowing!

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Any issues with the new Truck. I can hardly wait to plow with my 03 F-450 even with the MVP. I did get to salt with the Hyd. tailgate spreader and tha was sweet.

If I had seen more of the 8611 I think I would have put my money into it. If it keeps getting good reviews I am thinking of sell the 8' Pro, putting the MVP on the 2500HD, and getting the 8611 on the F-450. I realize I will have to decided at the end of the this season and get the 8611 over the summer if I want it for next season so I am watching the Blizzard posts carefully. I am sure LGF will have some good feedback too on his new blizzard plow he always tell is like it is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad to hear you love the plow. They really are plowing machines. I installed one on a New Holland LS190 skid steer. The person who owns it can't believe how great the combo is. Its at least 3 times faster than any truck he has ever plowed with. I have pics, will post them soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 810 on my truck this year and have only used it twice but am in love with it. We run 8 MVP`s and will be looking to change over in the next couple of years. This is our trial year for the Blizzard and I am the guinea pig.:D There is no comparison to how well this plow scrapes to the asphalt, much better then a "V', backdrags great also:canada

·
Registered
622 Posts
JD, good to hear things went well with blizzard. How did the new truck do and what motor are you running in it?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a 7.3. Scott the truck ran fine for about the first 50 hours of plowing but then the lights went dim and the blower motor slowed. This week I took it to the dealer and they replaced the alternator under warranty but I think the plow might have drained the system to the point of straining the alternator to failure, that or I might have a bad alt from the factory:rolleyes: . Might have to call powermaster?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott the bobcat really doesn't need very much juice since it runs off of the cat's hydro's and has no pump.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Jeff, I would upgrade to the big Optima deep cycle batts. The alternator will not give the output needed to run the plow and thats where the batts come into play. Optima's have a deep cycle and recharge quickly.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
So are you all now saying the 8611 is a great plow but even if you have a brand new Super Duty truck you need to make mods to handle the plow?

That dos't seem right. I would have to ask why such a draw? I know about how much it weights, and the wings and all that but, they should be able to design the plow so it WILL work with the truck they mount it to utilizing factory epuipment. I am not looking to move backward in time to where you had to turn your headlight off while plowing a big lot if you wanted to move the plow several time.

I really do like the looks of the plow and the applications seem endless. However I run the heck out of my western plow on my 2500HD and have NEVER had any type of charging problem.

Has anyone else had charging issues while running the 8611 or the 810???

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't have any charging problems on my truck, with plow, beacon, LED's all aroound, radio blaring, wipers and heater going. Like Jeff said, maybe it was just a bad alternator?

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
That could totaly be the case I did have an alt. changed under warranty but it was during the summer.

Don't get me wrong, I am kicking myself for not condiering the blizzard when I bought the MVP in Sept. I have not had a chance to plow any snow with it yet this season so I can not really say how it performs but I have heard all the claims of how much faster it is. Time will tell, I hope I got some good information before I spent the $4,500.00.

Actually until now I had never heard the MVP did not clean up well. I heard the except oppisite about how great the MVP clears snow quicker than a straight blade. I am plowing several of the same lots I plowed for the past two years with my 8' Pro. So as soon as we get some snow I will be able to see if the MVP is all it is made out to be.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well after the second storm I can report that the plow and truck worked great. Of course we only had about 5" before it started pouring rain so it wasn't quite the same as the 26" we got last weekend. I have also come to the conclusion that this light system is the worst I have seen on any plow. The lights are placed on top of a hollow tube with the stud going into that tube. This makes the nut on the stud almost impossible to fully tighten given the small diameter of the tube. In the first storm one light fully fell out of the tube and lost its bracket assembly. After that happened the light doesn't sit straight up and down, it wobbles (ever see the car with the headlight pointed to the sky) its driving me nuts since I can't tighten it. I'll be contacting the dealer today about replacements. Too bad they detract from such a great plow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
JD, Would you mind telling me which dealer you got yours from? I want to go look at them.

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks JD!

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
JD,

Just wanted to refresh this thread and see how the Blizzard is doing on your F-450.

I think the charging issue is not isolated to the Blizzard Plow. During the last/first snow event I lost all electric power without any warning, truck just dies while rasing the plow. Got a jump and it start without any probelm. It did fry both batteries.

Went back to the dealer in the morning after changing the two batteries at 2AM in the Wal-mart parking lot during the storm. After having the truck checked out I was told all was fine with the charging system BUT when there is a heavy AMP draw sometimes the ALT will just leave a phase open to prevet it from getting fryed. Results in lower charge rate but saves the ALT.

Well that is not going to be acceptable for my application with this truck. Since dual Alts. are not available with Centeral Hyds. I tracked down an aftermarket bolt on replacement for the OEM 110 APM upgrading to 200 AMPS at full load and 90-100 AMPs hot and at idel.

Might be something to consider if the Blizzard does have a high AMP draw. I am leaning toward a 810 for the 04 F-350 PSD I am ordering and DUAL ALT will be on that truck. $340.00 from the factory compared to $625.00 for the aftermarket is a no brainer.

·
Registered
609 Posts
4evergreenlawns said:
I tracked down an aftermarket bolt on replacement for the OEM 110 APM upgrading to 200 AMPS at full load and 90-100 AMPs hot and at idel.

$625.00 for the aftermarket .
I hope that the price quoted above is a misprint, you can get 200 amp units for $199.95 HERE

I run them in the jeep and the durango took them off and had autozone bench test them to make sure that the diodes were not smoked (worked it hard as hell last year) and the one in the jeep put out 185 (170 amp unit) and the durango 200 amp alt pegged the 250 amp gauge, the guy testing them about **** his pants:grinz :grinz he asked what needed that much power and I told him that we had "hydros" on it LOL

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Nate,

Again great info, just called them and IF they can put one togather for my truck somewhere between 300. and 350. still cheaper but, is wold be a custom build for them and I am not sure that maens it is tried and tested. I am looking into it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
4evergreen I haven't had any problems as far the charging system goes but then again I've only plowed about 15 hours after the blizzard in December.

BTW its strange that the alternator company in the link doesn't currently have alts for these trucks in stock, considering how popular they are.:confused:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts