Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. I hope this seems as a new topic..

The 700 R4 is alive and well, but I am 700 hundred dollars lighter.

Oh well that is what dollars are for, that is lining some other guys wallet right?

So I figure I may as well become lighter yet, and look into gauges.

The only place I can see gauges off hand is JC Whitney. For about $18 I can get a temp gauge, and for 10 more I can get the sender.

It reads 140 to 300 degrees and seems to also have a "C" scale for those occasions I plow in a metric driveway.

I am not so sure I trust JCW stuff, but I have used some of it with good results, and some not so good results.

They do not appear to offer any pressure gauge for any tranny.

SO what do those of you that have these, have to say ?

Where do you mount the temp sender?

What readings are of note?

What about the pressure gauge which I can guess mounts in the test port, but wouldn't know a good pressure from a bad one..

A few more dollars are not going to hurt that bad if it means I can see when I must stop to allow the tranny to cool.

................... Off topic..........

I will repeat myself from the misdiagnoised thread.. The starter took a permanent vaction at the techs shop... I drove there fine, and with no warning the starter dropped dead.. If I had been home I could have done a voo doo dance and sprinkled magic oil about and cast the spell to flip the copper washer no doubt, and said magic brush words.. But in todays world there is no time for such things at a shop where time is money. It sure did feel strange watching "Another Man" touch my truck.. LOL Mac

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
no reason to have a pressure guage unless you really like guages and have em sticking outa everywear. It is more of a temporary thing to help you diagnois problems.

check out jegs.com or summit.com for guages. jc whitney stuff kinda gives me the willys.

autometer is very good stuff but pricey, autoguage is thier line and a bit cheaper and good stuff. vdo is good as is stewarts. The jegs and summit house brand of stuff is ussualy good quality thats ussualy a brand name with thier stuff pased on it.

If you go with an electrical guage you can get multipul senders and run them through a switch and be able to flip between as many different temps as you want through one guage. You can look at your water temp most of the time but flip a switch and check out your trany temp. Its saves you some coin on extra guages and it cleans up the interior not having things poping outa everywear.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As stock this truck has watertemp, oil psi, and volts. I added a freebie tack a guy gave me, and I added a vac gauge for kicks.

Tranny temp might be nice. Where and how would the sender be mounted in a 700 R 4?

Coolant temp senders usually are on the head up high where the heat is...

So I wonder if the tranny pan is the place to drill and mount?

The pan is easy drilling and no problem once it is down and you can see where drilling can take place.. I did that very thing for the drain. Had I placed the drain with out looking that spot would have not fit, and a new pan would have been needed..

If there is a proper place for a temp sender, that info is what I would like.. Mac

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
a few different places and pluses and minuses. Pan is a good one but cake sure you stick it in a spot were it wont get whacked off. Also not very thick for threading wise but it has been done with sucess.

Some have put it in the cooler line off of a T conection.

Pretty much your only choices since i dont think a sender will fit in the space between the truck body but im going off my 1/2 shot memory so I think one of one of the ports in trany itself is out. might check though

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sence.. T into the hot line heading to the coolers, which makes me wonder what another temp set up mounted on the return line might show? Rather doubt I will do the second option, but it might be interesting to know..

I see the typo "cake" means "make" as well.. I typo all the time hitting 2 letters with a finger,or bassakwards spelling, like "the" can be "teh" as an example.. Just so you know I know ... Thank you..... Mac

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
:eek: A good spelar I am huh? ;)

all one after the cooler would tell you is how good of a job the cooler is doing. If the fluid is hot enough to be cooking then you want to know. It might be cooking and toasting itself but the reading after the cooler says its fine.

cooler line would be my choice although its definatly a bigger PITA.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you go read that again, and read as if you R Me.. You will see I couldn't tell if you were taling cooking as in the kitchen, or just what, untill you make cake.. See?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts