Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping someone could tell me what I am doing
wrong! Ford has yet to tell me! I pull a trailer 50% of the
time (8,000 pounds), Change oil in tranny every 12,000 miles!
I have a 97F-250,01F-350! Every 50,000 miles I have had to
get a complete tranny rebuild. (no-warranty) This year had to have both trucks done! I live the eastern shore of Md., flat
land, Ford states I can run over-drive all the time.
At $2,800.00 each Its getting old!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BOUNDS-ELECTRIC said:
I am hoping someone could tell me what I am doing
wrong! Ford has yet to tell me! I pull a trailer 50% of the
time (8,000 pounds), Change oil in tranny every 12,000 miles!
I have a 97F-250,01F-350! Every 50,000 miles I have had to
get a complete tranny rebuild. (no-warranty) This year had to have both trucks done! I live the eastern shore of Md., flat
land, Ford states I can run over-drive all the time.
At $2,800.00 each Its getting old!
I run over-drive all the time! Ford & transmition shop state that
as long as on flat land, not climbing hills, keep it on. They all
state and I quote! ( Computer will shut it off) I had a truck 351
95F-250 drove 60,000 no problem! Same driving habits, with
one change, if I drive into a head wind with over-drive on
computor would come on and off! Ford said this was the sign at that time to turn it off! Tried turning off with trailer towing!
My trucks were order with towing (4/11 gears, trans temps gages, ford trans coolers, add trans cooler) Only times seen temp.
up (heavy snow plowing, in town stop & go hot weather ,
NEVER IN OVER DRIVE)
97F-150 TRANNY 49,600, 111,220
01F-350 TRANNY 47,400

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
you mention trans temp gauges... do you have the factory ford gauge in the dash, or an aftermarket one? The reason I ask is that you may have overheated your fluid countless times and never known it with a factory gauge- all they do is use up the space that should be used for a voltmeter. The problem is that if the gauge sees "normal" temps, it stays in the middle of the normal range. For some reason, 220 is considered normal omg!! By the time the factory needle moves, you're OVER 220, well on your way to burnt tranny fluid.

If it's not hunting gears or locking and unlocking the converter- leave it in OD!!!

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
What were the failures ? Same thing everytime ? Maybe they are missing something when rebuilding them.Maybe it is something related to your driving style,or usage.

Normally when rebuilding,adding a shift kit,and beefing everything up is a good idea.If they are a knowledgable shop,they should know what to do.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNDS-ELECTRIC At $2,800.00 each Its getting old!
BOUNDS,

Do yourself a favor. Call Brian at Brians Truck Shop and explain to him what is happening. He will be able to give you the answers. Tell him Greg DaPron told you to call.

Brian builds an indestructable E40D and 4R100 tranny:cool: They have a 2 year, unlimited milage/horsepower guarantee. But I can tell you this, if it EVER breaks, Brian will fix it!!. His tranny's are so good, I drove all the way to Arkansas to have him redo mine:burnout They are that good!!!! But you can have him ship you one also.

If you are ever up near Cecil County, let me know. I'll let you drive my truck and you can see how a real tranny is supposed to work!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts