• 2W only

Votes: 9 3.1%
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals:waving

A friend of mine called me to settle a bet between him and his father.

His father asked if we plowed in HI or LO. I have always plowed in HI(diesel and upgraded tranny) and have never needed LO even when pushing 30+" in one shot.

He said that when he was living in NH, everyone used LO and that If you didn't, you would kill the tranny. I told him my tranny temps have never exceeded 170 while plowing even with a stock Torque Converter.

So what do you think?????????????

·
Registered
445 Posts
I plow in 4 Hi unless the snow is really wet and or deep.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I plow in 4Hi most of the time but it depends on the truck and the storm.

·
Registered
866 Posts
It really depends on the truck- my '84 Ranger that I built I ran most of the time in 2 wheel, and that had an 8' blade on the front of it. My Suburban I usually ran in 4 high, and my Blazer now I run in 4 high, but have noticed with the BFG AT tires I need to use 4 low more often. I have new tires to install on it, I think tonight since we are supposed to be getting 6" starting later this evening, that I ran on my Ranger- they are much more aggressive, so I think that will make a big difference.

Bill

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
4 High unless i get stuck or have some really heavy wet snow thats making the truck struggle a bit...

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
It really does depend a lot on site conditions and the truck being used.I don't think there is any "right" answer to te question.

A small 4 cyl truck will probably need 4LO most of the time,yet a big diesel may never need it.

With most of the trucks I have used,I use 4HI 99% of the time.If i need the extra power or traction,then I use 4LO.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
4wd HI always. Haven't run up against anything yet that either the 1/2 or 1 ton couldn't handle in High.

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
I use 4 HI unless I feel the truck straining . Then its time for 4LO . It doesnt happen to often

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
4 high or 2 high if the conditions are right.

·
Registered
57 Posts
2HI for most of the time.

4HI the rest of the time.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Well I use an automatic, so when Im done backing up, the lever either ends up in D, or OD. But it doesnt make much difference what position the lever ends up in, because the truck usually never gets a chance to shift out of first, due to the slow snowplowing speed, and the short trips in a lot or driveway. Mike :)

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
I always drop it in D,or OD,whichever is the first below neutral on the truck I'm in.It would take me twice as long to get everything done if I only plowed in first gear. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
I almost always plow in 4 High and use the forward momentum of the truck when I can. In some situations I will use 4 lo - deep wet snow that just piles in front of the blade. I don't think I could finish my route on time if I plowed 4 low all the time.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
4WD all the time.

Everett

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Sorry, forgot 4WD high.

Everett

1 - 20 of 97 Posts