Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tranny went south today. Started with a slight shuddering when in Reverse during the sunday storm. Went to look at a house today, and when leaving it made a terrible bang in reverse. Anyway, remanned unit coming in Wed afternoon, and will be installed that evening.
Anyway 2500.00 later and I will be back in business. All foward gears work fine.
Its only money. For you guys with these trannies, take reverse very easily. I knew they were weak, and I babied R as much as possible.
Alan I can really feel your pain now.
Dino

·
Registered
485 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tranny. How many miles were on it when it died?

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But those were pretty hard miles. I never beat the tranny, and had it serviced 2x a year, but the truck weighs 10K all the time plus plow and spreader in the winter. Does alot of towing also with my tool trailer and equipment. I am really not complaining,the truck has made me alot more money than this will cost, just aggrevated, didnt really want to spend the 2500.00 right now. At least we have had some snow to off set this repair.
Dino

·
Registered
345 Posts
Originally posted by wyldman
That is pretty steep.I can usually get one done for $1200.00 or so with a few goodies in it.
Wow that price sounds pretty reasonable Chris. If I ever blow my tranny I'm coming to see you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
dino besides servicing the trans fluid, what else was done? Have you ever adjusted the bands? DO they need to be adjusted to? THe manuel states to do it I believe every 20000 miles. I have a 2000 ram 2500 that I plow with since I bought it new. That has 60,000 miles I change the oil once a year but never adjusted the bands. I hope this trans lasts me a few more years. The only problem I had was a vacumm switch fryed. I went to shift in 4by4 this fall for the first time since last winter but would not activate. The vacumm switch went bad. Has anyone had that switch go bad? Luckily I was'nt plowing instead I was on a hunting trip in Iowa i parked in a corn filed the field was a little soft so I went to activate the 4by4 and it would'nt go in, so I had to be pulled out with chains by a ford.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Sorry to hear your trans went Dino,but the good thing is it didnt die during a storm,and leave you hi and dry in a blizzard.

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I could have had it rebuilt for 1000.00 but the truck would have been down for at least a week. The tranny is a GM factory reman unit with a 3 yr 50000 mi warranty. The tranny cost me 2000.00 and 300.00 to have it installed.
Just wondering Chris what you can get a remanned unit for from GM. I think I got an ok price.
I picked up the tranny at 3 pm yesterday, and drove the truck home at 9 pm last night. The mechanic was amazing, it was obvious he had done a few over the years. He had every tool waiting on the floor when I pulled the truck in. He works or a local city fleet maint division, and they own at least 30 GM K series trucks. The city replaces several trannies a year.
Anyway the truck is back in service, never really was out of service, I just ouldnt back up.
Dino

·
Registered
101 Posts
We lost the reverse in our 98 3500 this summer. Same deal, shuttered first, then nothing. I also lost overdrive in my pick-up a few weeks ago. I do pull trailers quite a bit on the highway, and always in OD (4:10 rear and it's buzzing pretty good in 3rd at 70 plus), so neither of these owed us a cent. I paid $1700 each for both trannys right from our dealer ($100 above their cost) so they aren't doing you any favors Dino. I do agree that the GM reman. warranty is hard to beat, and our dealer always has at least one 480 right in stock. The limited down time makes the local rebuild route quite a bit less attractive......

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is pretty steep.I can usually get one done for $1200.00 or so with a few goodies in it.

Chris, that is a very good price. The next time one goes on us I will give you a call. I will even throw in a couple of hundred bucks and lunch for that price.:D Please send me your number as I have a new computer and seemed to have lost alot of stuff.:confused:
I am interested in the goodies also :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
a friend that we plow with, his reverse went out sat morning as well. 4l80E as well. 4 days to get it fixed and going to miss sundays storm..

·
GO GO Gadget Plow!
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seem reverse is the weak link in these trannies. Tranny has felt good, I am glad that I have been able to put some miles on the tranny before this weeks event. I didnt think that the dealership was doing me any favors, but they did hold the core charge, so I didnt have to outlay the 700.00, and wait for the check after I dropped the old tranny off.
I did find another dealer that was going to sell me the tranny for 120.00 less, but they wouldnt hold the core charge, so I went with the local dealer.
Dino

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Billy

The conventional wisdom is to adjust the bands in your Dodge or you will not achieve maximium longevity . It pretty straight forward to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tran problem

Hi all sorry to hear of your trouble . My tran has 274,000 miles with no problems { nock on wood } . I have the fluid changed at least one time a year, been plowing for about 10 years with this truck . I will be buying a new truck this year hope fully a GMC K -4500 4x4 or a GMC K -5500 4X4 I guess it can be orderd in July . Jet performance rebuilds these trans . They have a vid you can download the E80 is a 400 with overdrive a very H/D tran . O by the way my tran is the 700 .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts