Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever added a 3rd gas tank to the saddle bag system?

I am not sure how that system works, and might like to know just what happens there, and if there is some way to install a Blazer tank as a 3rd tank to a K-10 4x4. As it is I do not store the spare under the truck... Mac

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The Blazaer\Jimmy tank will bolt in place no problem.

You could use a second switching valve added into the first.It would be easier to hook up a pump to transfer fuel from the rear tank into the filler neck of one of the other tanks,just like a transfer tank setup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just how does that switch work? It has to do a bit more than open and close a valve I should think? I hear a buzzing each time and suspect there is a small pre pump somewhere???

Perhaps 1 pre pump in each tank, but I don't think so as I have replaced both tanks in 90' and can't recall any prepumps at all....

And yes filling one or both tanks is as good to me as having the 3rd run the engine, so long as I can controll the flow.

As it is I try to run one tank to 1/2 and switch over then. I hate filling any one tank from dead empty, on a matter of principle, and that means I am cheap.

If I can rig this up somehow, I can have major fun with my wife, whom is writting a book about every ladies room on the Eastern Sea Board.

Honey what are you talkin about?... We just stopped for fuel not more than 375 miles ago??? (evil grin)

Anyway the ins and outs seem interesting to me on this while I wait for my tranny to be repaired....

My chiltons is not the best and say zip on these valves... I just hate that book when i get to wanting a answer and it says to go further refer to a expert!

I read that and tear out what little hair is left... Mac

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
There are many different types of valves.They have different configurations for different years and emission packages.The noise your hearing is the valve turning,not a pump running.They didn't have any pumps in the tanks until 87,which was the last year of the old body style,and the first year for fuel injection.

You can get some pretty big rear tanks.I have large aftermarket ones in my Jimmy's,34-35 gallon I think,they are huge.

The transfer pump is the easiest way,as you don't have to tap into the trucks fuel system anywhere,only into one of the filler necks.The pump could be either internal or external,whichever is easier.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my truck is a 84 K-10 4x4...

Ok So I add a 3rd tank, and a filler. I add fuel line to a 3 maybe 5 psi electric fuel pump... I gottcha that far...

When the fuel level drops in a tank I can fill that tank. But I can over fill that tank as well if I don't turn the pump off.

My tanks are supposed to be 16 gallons each, but in reality they hold more like 17 something, and so a 30+ plus 3rd could present a problem no?

With yet a "T" fitting as a valve I could then fill A, B, or AB as I desire, but still will not know exactly when to shut off a switch manually.

My gauges do not read exactly correct, and so I don't really trust it... For that matter I don't trust myself to never forget.

I do ever so clearly know what is ment by the amounts and types of switching as my filler necks and the hoses can not be found by any dealer I have ever asked with part numbers in hand.

They all claim no such thing ever existed even though you can see the part numbers which appear as they would on a chevy, and that goes for the rubber hoses as well, which have different sized ends on the same hose.

The metal tubing was rusting out and well pin holed 1 year ago, and I J B Welded over them entirely. I made new hoses with the same sized ends work.

My main pump is a mechanical pump which can not hear over the engine.

So Then: There is no pre pump, and the valve buzzing is only the valve opening, and the main pump can draw fuel directly with no assistance of any pre pump.

So then if the main pump can draw that hard, then a 3rd tank set up should work with a "T" between the 2 saddle bag tanks with a on off valve in line, and no gauge would be used to read that, but the only thing to go wrong would be to run that tank dry.

Just figuring out loud and looking for feed back as i have no wish to be the burning budda what so ever... Mac

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Using a transfer pump requires keeping an eye on the other tanks,to see when they are close to full,otherwise you could overfill them.

You could use a "T" valve to direct the fuel to the filler neck you wish to fill.Again you would have to be careful not to overfill.

Using a "T" valve to just connect it into the other tanks will most likely not work,as you need more than one line per tank.Most newer trucks have two or three lines per tank due to emissions.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has been a long time since I looked in there... I think there are 2 lines each the smaller being a return.. and that is a maybe, as I am not aware of where a return might come from. possibly a carbon canister if one ever existed on this truck.

I have home work to do for sure if this is going to happen, and happen is a safe way..

Perhaps a Spring time project at best, but being armed with info never hurts, unless I am bugging you foks with my non-sence.

Long ago in 87 was when I bought this 84' and it has had it's share of problems, but I have also worked it hard.

Around 89 I realized the days of my front axel type were no more, and decided right then to keep this truck as long as I could.

When parts are no more for the mighty chevy 350 and the K series will be sad day for me. Until that day I will do the best I can to fix anything that goes wrong. My main fear is the frame itself will one day die. And no other frame will be around to be used. Mac

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't care for the transfer pump idea. I'm too forgetful for something like that. I'd rather have the third tank operate off a switch somehow, like the others- fuel guage and all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts