Snowplow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 305 has developed a dull bottom end knock. It is most noticable when the engine is just above idle speed. Oil pressure seems to be lower now as well (125PSI). I am guessing the bearings need replacing. Is this a big job, and can it be done without pulling the engine? The truck has 245000 km on it, and doesn't use any oil, so I am willing to fix this engine up, rather than replace the engine.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well the knock is getting real bad now. My mechanic figured it'd be $800 bucks to do the bearings oil pump etc, but then I still have a 305 with 245000kms on it. We found a newer 350 with 140000 kms on it, tests out with great compression/oil pressure etc. I need a 350 computer, but I am getting it for $1000 bucks engine and computer. It should be an easy swap, and I think the extra HP the 350 will have will e nice. The 305 just wasn't heavy duty enough I think for the work it had to do. Its getting put in tomorrow if it doesn't snow tonight ( supposed to get 2" ) I'll let you guys know the results when its done.:burnout

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SHE'S IN!!:burnout What a difference. The truck runs so smooth and actually has a lot of power. Wyldman, on this year truck, the 305 PROM can run the 350 fine. The 350 PROM we got with the motor didn't even fit, so my mechanic called GM and they said the computer I had already in the truck will run it. No more knocking noises, it cost a few bucks but I want to keep the truck for a few years and fixing up the old 305 just was not worth it in the long run. I just hope my fuel economy doesn't drop too bad, I am guessing it won't seeing as I don't have my foot into it as much having the extra power. Well gotta go, I am taking the wife to go see lord of the rings:canada

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
The 305 PROM and ECM will run it,but the 350 PROM is different in calabration.It sounds like they sent the wrong PROM if it wouldn't fit.

Could you get me the ECM number and maybe I can track down the right PROM for you.I may even have one in the shop somewhere.It would be best to get the latest version though,as it will have all the updates.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the numbers on the computer:

SERV no 1227747

86ASDK-K301692229

16139371 ASDK

36ASDKK301692229

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Should be part number 16139558 Prom Code ASDT.

Double check it with your dealer before you order just to make sure,as the books are known to be wrong sometimes.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it tomorrow. :salute

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok now something else is going wrong. The new engine is running great. Of course about a week after it was installed the radiator went....and it was an expensive one because of the built in oil cooler. I put the 350 chip in, but now the tranny seems to be slipping big time. When I go about 50 and touch the gas it just revs up like its in neutral. The fluid is full. Could the chip have anything to do with how the tranny shifts? As far as I know there are no electronics in it its just a regular 3spd TH400 I think. The sevice engine light came on too, so I will get the code checked to see whats up with that. So could the chip affect how the tranny shifts or do I likely have a tranny that needs some TLC?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts